Wood floors refinished
pcride
October 15, 2013 in Before & After
We love em!!
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
nice...what is the type of wood and what is the stain that you used..?
October 16, 2013 at 2:35AM   
solincia
Beautiful!!
October 16, 2013 at 4:59AM   
pcride
Not really sure of the wood. It's the typical 3/4 wood floor that was used in the 60's stained golden pecan. Maybe it's birtch, but I know it's not oak.

I used 3 coats of Jacobean stain color (minwax) this is one shade lighter than ebony.
3 coats of satin poly. (Parks pro)
We love it!
October 16, 2013 at 6:47AM   
solincia
Is there a reason you think it's not oak? I'm staring at my 1970's oak floors and they look just like yours.
October 16, 2013 at 7:48AM   
Oak & Broad
Looks like Red Oak to me....
October 16, 2013 at 10:51AM   
sarabeth2
Is your 'before' photo after the sanding was done? I see around the edges what must have been your original color of the flooring? Same size planks as my oak flooring in my house built in mid '60's. We are going to take up carpeting that has covered these solid oak floors for 40 some years, and have them sanded, stained, finished. I'm hoping that the nail holes from the carpeting strips used along the edges can be sanded out!
October 16, 2013 at 10:52AM   
mamadubbs
I'm always amazed at how beautiful old wood floors are after a ding and refinishing. Yours is just awesome!
October 16, 2013 at 5:52PM   
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
Yes, the floor just may be red oak......birch usually is less grainy......Red oak is has a lot of interesting colors.......
October 16, 2013 at 5:54PM   
solincia
I'm sharing to help you compare, these are what we had when we ripped up the carpet, I'm guessing yours looked identical :
October 16, 2013 at 6:06PM     
Vicki Lee
Hey Solincia, great job on the floors. I'm getting some done soon on a rental I own, by a company though as I'm not up for that job at all. I am going to do the uplifting of carpet and removing nails etc. Any tips for that and is it a big job as now I'm wondering if I'm going to be biting off more than I can chew so to speak. They're thin old carpets and if the pic has come out right, they're throughout the house. The floorboards are a native timber from New Zealand and will come up as lovely as yours.
October 16, 2013 at 6:20PM   
Marilyn Wilkie
Looking great. I just arranged to have the red oak floors refinished in our "up north" house project next Tuesday. We tore up thick old sculpted carpet and pad, probably from the 1960's. I know they will look great, like yours. The company I chose uses a dustless system. I chose a natural finish and they will use a Bona satin product. It's exciting! Here is our before...
October 16, 2013 at 6:26PM     
Select Hardwood Floor Co.
Sure looks like good old fashioned #1 com Southern Red Oak... which is why all the dark streaks are there... mineral.
October 16, 2013 at 6:34PM   
pcride
I guess it's oak! Here are some more pictures.
October 16, 2013 at 6:48PM     
LB Interiors
Beautiful rich color choice.
October 16, 2013 at 7:11PM   
solincia
Vicki, we sliced the carpet into strips ( take care to lift it while cutting so you don't get the floor) then rolled it up, duct taped it, and then rolled up the adding and bagged that. I carefully used a cats claw for the tack strips around the edges with a hammer, then used needle nose to pull up the staples. Don't break the staples, they are a pain!! We did not refinish the floors, that's how they looked. Just a good sweeping and light cleaning! It's labor intensive, but do one room at a time and wear gloves and safety glasses!!
October 17, 2013 at 3:09AM     
sarabeth2
What influenced you as to what shade of stain you used when these lovely floors were done? Our 1960's oak flooring (covered with carpeting) is going to come out into the light of day once again -- but after it is sanded and ready for stain I am at a loss as to how I go about selecting the final color and sheen. We also have on order all new kitchen cabinetry. So should the cabinetry have a role in this floor stain decision? (The kitchen flooring will not be wood flooring). Another question: What sheen is the best/popular for flooring? What is most classic, a high sheen or low to flat sheen? I have very dark furniture now (Ethan Allen dark pine) and don't want to go too dark on the flooring, but don't want a blonde/natural look either. It is a big decision!
October 17, 2013 at 4:37AM   
Marilyn Wilkie
@solincia, that is exactly how we removed our old carpeting.
@sarabeth2, here is a site that talks about floor refinishing. I liked the photo showing what the different products would look like on the same species of wood (this one shows white oak). We went with a natural, satin finish to minimize the possibility of scratches showing. I also feel a lighter color reflects more light and makes the room look larger. It also won't fight with other room elements. We have 3 dogs. :)
http://www.hullforest.com/blog/
October 17, 2013 at 5:02AM     
Vicki Lee
Thanks solincia, I will go about it like that with removing the old carpet. I will have confidence I can do it okay! I can't wait - they're going to look beautiful.
October 17, 2013 at 5:35AM     
Marilyn Wilkie
Sometimes you may find the carpet padding has "glued" itself to the floor. We were lucky. This didn't happen to our home. It's a dirty job and you may want to consider paper masks. One more thing. We have tiny black holes left in one doorway. The company said that they would not be able to remove those totally. It looks like the tacks may have rusted in place??
October 17, 2013 at 6:08AM     
Select Hardwood Floor Co.
Marilyn mentions what a "dirty job" it is...
Many folks are AMAZED at just how much... dirt, grit, grime, & other undesirable "stuff" they find in the carpet they had been vacuuming faithfully for years. And every time they've walked thru the house, they were kicking that dirt, pollen, & carpet fiber up into the air to repeat the cycle.
October 17, 2013 at 6:38AM     
Vicki Lee
Oh I'll be masked and tooled up for sure! I don't want to do it really but it's a few hundred dollars I can save. And I'll have a couple of helper mates lifting and removing carpet. I figured the time consuming part would be the nails and tack part. I shall let you all know and any more tips and advice will be gratefully received.
October 17, 2013 at 7:22AM     
Shakúff
love what you did here!
October 17, 2013 at 7:40AM   
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Nice refinish! Thanks for sharing
October 17, 2013 at 7:42AM   
bschr
Fantastic job! Your hard work paid off. Personally I love the "old fashioned " strip flooring. To me it is so much more interesting than the pre finished floors. However the mess made by the on site refinishing is another story.
October 17, 2013 at 8:00AM     
mouzzer
Are there rules as to which direction the flooring should be laid--in other words, vertically or horizontally as seen when you enter a room? I'm confused about how to use hardwood in a small entryway/ long hall from which a living room and dining room can be seen on either side. Thanks.
October 17, 2013 at 8:22AM   
Select Hardwood Floor Co.
Rule of thumb (for us anyway) is to have the grain/direction:
Follow the flow of traffic, such as into the room/entry.
Better wear & gives a more "inviting" feel.
Another idea is to have the direction "lead" toward a focal point in a room... such as fireplace... although the room dimensions or traffic flow may conflict with that idea.
In those cases... it's "viewer discretion" or a coin toss.
October 17, 2013 at 8:34AM     
solincia
Can I just say bravo to everyone saving their old oak floors! There is just a seriously beautiful quality that these floors have that newly installed pre-finished floors don't have in my opinion!
October 17, 2013 at 6:19PM     
Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.
Very nice! Most folks don't realize the flexibility in color they have with their original oak floors.
October 17, 2013 at 6:33PM     
pcride
@bschr hardly a mess at all. Its easier than most people might think refinishing floors. $60-80 for the sander rental, then all you need; knee pads, a can of stain and your good to go. If you can paint a wall, I am sure you could stain a floor.
October 18, 2013 at 5:36PM     
bschr
@pcride, thanks for that information. How much dust landed in the rest of your house? Did you seal the entry to the other rooms?
October 19, 2013 at 2:31AM   
Select Hardwood Floor Co.
@pcride...
re: your statement that: "If you can paint a wall, I am sure you could stain a floor."
You may as well go a step further & say...you can "paint your car"

With all due respect, I'm quite sure you're pleased with the outcome of your efforts.
And perhaps you were fortunate enough to end up with good results... but after MANY years in the wood floor biz, I will be the 1st one to admit that there is a LOT of work, equipment & knowledge that goes into the proper finishing of wood in general, and flooring in particular.

Kudos to you if you pulled it off without leaving (or noticing) the traditional "dark spots" caused by...sander streaks, drum marks, scratches, swirl marks at the walls, gouges from the scrapers (of course you used flat scrapers at the walls, eh?), screen marks, etc., etc.
There's a difference between whether the job looks good to a pro as well as friends & family.
"The devil is in the details", my friend.
I wish I had a nickel for every time I've had someone tell me that they'd "refinished a floor ONCE... and never will again". haha
October 19, 2013 at 7:55AM     
pcride
@bschr I didn't seal off the rest of the house. The sander did a great job collecting most of the dust. The air wasn't 'filled' with dust either.

Yea maybe going to the extent of if you can paint a wall, you can stain a floor might be too bold :) but with a little guidance and knowledge and some experience it can be done!!
October 19, 2013 at 10:28AM     
Vicki Lee
Hmmm, there's some merit to doing the floors myself. I'll look into it more. It would save me a LOT of money. My biggest problem I would see is I have such a little amount of time to get them done (along with other minor redec jobs and it just being me pretty much) so that's why I may have to leave it to the professionals. And as Select Hardwood Floor Co. says, it's a lot of work and the last thing I'd want is for the finished job to not look great. It's an investment property too and I just can't afford to mess it up! So I'll give it some thought.
October 19, 2013 at 9:42PM     
refinishing wood floor techniques
I am currently redoing my red oak floors - they are...
Refinishing Wood Floors
Can't decide whether to use high gloss or matte finish...
I just got my wood floors refinished and there are cracks forming...
A few months after my wood floors were refinished (to...
Wood floors refinished, how long must wait to put down a rug?
We just had our red oak floors refinished: sanded,...
Refinishing hard wood floors oil vs water based
I am refinishing heart pine floors in my living room...
What kitchen style goes with octagon & red dot floor tiles?
We're buying this contemporary house built in the 80s...
Bedroom / Bath colors?
We painted our bedroom in beautiful gray tones and...
playroom help
I could use some serious advice for a play area. I...
Paint, what colour do we choose!?
We need some serious help! Neither of us have any design...
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...