Tiny space all-in-one dilemma
halvir
Hi,
So, I have a bit of a huge problem. Next year I'll be moving to a very tiny house that has only one spare room to 'live' in (it's basically kitchen, bathroom, and the one room). This room is 310 x 300 square cm (roughly 100ft squared).
The problem? I need it to be my bedroom/area to greet people/home office all-in-one solution (as I work from home).
I have a 138x56cm closet that I can't really replace, so it'll have to go there (or I'll have nowhere to put my clothes on). The walls are high, but not high enough to loft things, so I'm thinking vertical space will be my storage solution. However... I need ideas for how to fit the bed/home office part of the, er, "design".
I'm considering turning my twin sized bed into a daybed of sorts (since I also can't replace it, otherwise I'd probably try a futon), but I don't know how to do this since a twin sized mattress is not really comfortable as a sofa replacement. I'm particularly at a loss about the home office though.

I would really appreciate any input on the bed and office thing. I'm open to pretty much anything (even if it means building myself a raised floor area with storage underneath!), I just really need ideas for this.

Thanks in advance.
apple_pie_order
Murphy bed, Murphy desk, closed door office storage on walls. Meet clients at kitchen table. Do you have a budget to work with?
October 16, 2013 at 8:32am        Thanked by halvir
sunnydrew
See above.....
October 16, 2013 at 8:39am     
Snaggy
Shame the bathroom is not in line with the kitchen so you would of had a bigger living room
October 16, 2013 at 8:45am   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Here are some ideas to maximize your space. Since you have to keep your twin size bed, by framing it (with additional storage) or adding a slipcover, the bed can also serve as a couch. The key is adding lots of pillows to create a back to lean on. If possible, you can hang your bed and even have a couch underneath (scroll over image to enlarge). These room designs are small but still have plenty of space for a desk.
October 16, 2013 at 8:54am        Thanked by halvir
jaymallin
Great ideas lydia - What about the office on wheels concept being integrated into the kitchen. That 3 meter wall could hold a work center nicely and just pull a chair from the kitchen table to maximize walkways when not in use.
October 16, 2013 at 9:04am      Thanked by halvir
Customizable built-ins with a Murphy bed will be your best bet. You might look at the websites for "tiny houses" to get ideas about cramming an entire life into a minimized space.
Lake Country Builders 1
Lake Country Builders 2
The Aalto
October 16, 2013 at 9:10am        Thanked by halvir
halvir
Thank you for the great suggestions, everyone!
apple_pie_order: Realistically, I have a very tight budget ($1500 right now), which I might be able to add to from here on until I move, but I'm assuming other than build-it-myself stuff, I won't be able to replace big pieces of furniture for now (such as the closet).

I could prooobably work with a Murphy bed but I'm honestly not sure it would fit properly in any of the walls, the windows are low enough that those walls would not be usable for one, the space by the entrance door is too thin- about 14-18cm, and that would leave the only other wall were the closet is currently shown (the closet is very tall, so it can also only be put on either of the two walls that have no windows).
To be honest, I will have a look at local furniture places for proper measurements to make sure, since I hadn't really considered this before. I'll keep it as one of the possibilities though (I do love Murphey beds!). What would I do as far as comfortable sitting if I went with one? (Just use the bed, or maybe add a chair I can move out of the way?)

I should also point out I have a -lot- of belongings, hah. I'm working on cutting down on them and sell stuff so I can have more money to work with as well as move in and not be buried under things, but right now storage is a priority too.

Lydia: Oh, that hanging bed is very interesting! I like the storage under the last wo pics too. I'm considering perhaps trying to replace the door to the kitchen by a sliding one so I have a bit more room to work with as well.

jaymallin: That's a great idea, but I'm not sure I could have my office in the kitchen (I'd constantly worry about my desktop computer and all the usual mess from cooking, haha).

decoenthusiaste: Thank you! Yes, I've been trying to look at websites about tiny houses and apartments, I've been browsing AT and a few others; do you happen to have any recommendations on sites that are a bit more specific to small spaces?
October 16, 2013 at 9:25am   
I can't find the pic I saw on Houzz, but the idea was to use the barn sliders as window coverings. If you could find used doors and get the hardware you could install this idea over your window opposite the solid wall. They could close over the window to give your room more intimacy when clients are there or when you are sleeping. You could also put one for the door into the kitchen. This would give you some "walls" where you don't have them now, and allow you to put a sofabed in front of the window. If you gain the space where the kitchen door swing takes up floor, you could move your closet opposite the "barn door" window and sofa bed. If you can find a multi-purpose coffee table that turns into a dining table, it can serve as a desk when clients come. The one here is pretty pricey, but it is 3 different pieces of furniture for you. Might be able to build something that functions the same using a folding ironing board base. Maybe there are some DIY plans out there for this kind of table. Another search for tight living would be storage container homes.
Harms Way
Calligaris | Eleven Multifunctional Coffee/Dining Table
Calligaris | Mascotte Multifunctional Dining/Coffee Table
October 16, 2013 at 3:51pm        Thanked by halvir
If you have room for a loft, build one and put your bed up there.

October 16, 2013 at 4:01pm        Thanked by halvir
sstarr
The furnishings in your picture are out of scale, but it looks like you have about a 12' wall on the left, where the kitchen cabinets and dining table are. At the end of the run of cabinets, you might be able to install floor to ceiling storage cabinets (Ikea), and incorporate a fold-out dining table. You could then use some of the dining table space for a compact desk unit, again maximizing the vertical space for storage.

If you change the bathroom door to an accordion pleated door, you will pick up more useful space in this area.

In the bedroom space, as others have pointed out, you could build a platform to elevate your mattress. I think that's important to give visitors a sense of respecting your privacy. Underneath this platform, you could place a loveseat, with two chairs and a coffee table facing it.
October 16, 2013 at 4:20pm      Thanked by halvir
pcmom1
For our spare room I am thinking of having some sort of folding down desk top built onto the wall that can be dropped down over the bed. Someone suggested using piano hinges for do this. That would hide your bed when you have client over and give you a large work surface.

Imagine this on a larger scale coming down over your bed:

October 16, 2013 at 4:39pm   
sstarr
this is a model of your space, with a loft bed, sofa, chair and pouf, from Ikea:
October 16, 2013 at 5:33pm      Thanked by halvir
Western Design International
just a few more ideas

October 16, 2013 at 6:00pm      Thanked by halvir
halvir
Once more, thank you for all the great ideas you've all been sharing! I'm glad to have more options than I thought I would.

decoenthusiaste: Those sliding doors look amazing. I can already see something like that possibly working. Also the table is pretty clever. I'm sure I could put together something or find plans for something similar (the folding ironing board base is also an excellent idea!).

iamjudy: I'd more than likely end up banging my head against the ceiling unless I want the loft to cover a window or disrupt the opening of doors. However, if I change the kitchen door for a sliding one, I might be able to build it on the 'free' wall, and then it might work out. Thanks!

sstarr: Yes, it's possible the furnishings on kitchen/bathroom are somewhat out of scale (I'm not exactly a floor plan builder and was more worried about the wall dimensions being right and showing a general sense of what's already there :P), but they more or less take up the space like that. The only thing that should be proper scale because it's (supposedly) properly measured up is the closet.
Storage cabinets in that kitchen area is a great idea, it hadn't occurred to me. I figured I had so much room in the kitchen for kitchen stuff already... but now I realize I don't really need to store kitchen stuff there, haha. Breakthrough!
The fold out dining table there sounds pretty awesome too. And you're totally right that I should probably change the bathroom door as well to gain some space.
Thanks for the model!! It gives me a better sense of how things would look. :)

pcmom1: That's quite imaginative! The bed would have to be raised some- perhaps put over low dressers, so to speak, to make it more desk-height plus give some under-the-bed storage area that could also look like a desk. Hmm.

Again, thank you everyone.
October 17, 2013 at 4:05am     
Rustica Hardware
You can use barn doors as window coverings. We had a client that used them for storm windows with locks see:

If you have any questions give us a call at 1-800-891-8312.
October 17, 2013 at 11:57am      Thanked by halvir
I think two sliders that meet in the middle of your window would add more balance when open.
October 18, 2013 at 8:49am   
Rustica Hardware
Hi decoenthusiaste, I've attached a few photos of this type of hardware. http://rusticahardware.com/bi-parting-barn-door-hardware-system/
October 18, 2013 at 12:46pm      Thanked by halvir
Thanks RH - looks good. The trick is the $1,500 budget and the need for 2 kits.
October 18, 2013 at 1:46pm   
Basin Custom
Hello,
I think that barn doors are a great space saving option! If you need help or have questions about anything let us know. We would be happy to help! Our website is http://www.basincustom.com or you can email us at info@basincustom.com
October 18, 2013 at 2:01pm      Thanked by halvir
cmw1700
How about something like this from ORG Home?
October 18, 2013 at 2:03pm        Thanked by halvir
Thought about that cmw, but thought it reminded me of a dorm, rather than a professional living/office. What's the price? Halvir has a tight budget.
October 18, 2013 at 2:14pm      Thanked by halvir
Western Design International
just a question; can we remove or open any walls?
October 18, 2013 at 3:01pm   
halvir
cmw: Thank you! I was looking into some of those (well, building one more thank buying one, if I wanted it with a desk), but I'm still not entirely convinced.

Rustica Hardware & Basin Custom: Thank you very much too for all the pics and input. :)

Western Design: I'm afraid I can't really remove or open any walls.

I went by the house the other day to take some more measurements, but was in a hurry and seem to have forgotten taking the window height from the floor and from ceiling. *sigh*
However I've noticed that the window on the right (the one on the wall with no doors) has a private/lameish/not-really-getting-much-light circumstance, so I'm thinking if I go with a loft bed (A lower one so I don't bump my head against the ceiling), I could loft it on that side instead and it wouldn't bother too much if it covered a bit of window space.
I could probably... put the desk under and canopy the top for privacy, until I could work something out.
The barn doors are also something I'm keeping in mind as I love the look of them.

I think right now the best (and most cost effective, as I might already have some of the building material for those) choices seem to be between the loft bed and lydia's suggestion of daybed with storage.
The Murphy bed I love, but I would need some extra seating (and maybe storage) with it. I'll probably also change the kitchen table to a folding one as suggested and change the interior doors to either slide, barn or accordion, depending on budget at the time.
The whole place needs a new layer of paint too. Something light and relaxing (I know white makes a space look bigger, but I'm really tired of white and champagne colored walls).

I'm really thankful for all the ideas and will be happy to get more input. Even if it's something I can't work on right now because of budget constraints, I might be able to work on it or change it once I'm living there.
Thank you!
October 19, 2013 at 4:34am     
AFFurniture & Door Hardware
If you looking for a barn door, In our offer you can find modern door hardware which you can use with all type of door. Also you can find saving space door systems like COMPACK and ERGON http://www.allforfurniture.com
If you have any questions give us a call at 1-914-909-4571
October 19, 2013 at 5:18pm      Thanked by halvir
How to design my all-in-one space??
I have an open space for my kitchen, dining room &...
Slow cooker vs all-in-one?
Saving benchspace with a 3-in-1 kitchen appliance seems...
kitchen dining and living help - all in one space how !
Hi, This room is the base of the apartment kindly...
Bedroom makeover help needed
This bedroom needs a complete overhaul. (for sale pics)...
What is missing on my kitchen cabinet tops?
Please give me advice on the decor for my kitchen cabinet...
Best Dishwasher Detergent?
Some of this probably hinges on the style and effectiveness...
Living room - out of ideas
I am out of ideas for my living room. My objective...
I hate this room! It's my playroom/ eating area I want to make it awes
There is a refrigerator round kitchen table small couch...