Pendant lighting in kitchen
chltgirlOctober 16, 2013
We are adding three pendant lights over our island and we're thinking of adding pendant lights in front of our two windows (with cooktop and vent in between). But I am having second thoughts about the pendant lights in front of the windows. Will it be too much? I looked through photos on this website and most kitchens with an island and windows just had pendants over the island. Any help will be appreciated.
dclostboy
If you need task lighting at or near the windows, use recessed there. More pendents too much.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by chltgirl    October 16, 2013 at 12:54PM
0825sam
I prefer recessed lights in front of windows as I find pendants feel like an obstruction. If it suits the style of your kitchen I've also seen flushmounts like school house lights used in front of windows so they don't obstruct the view.
    Bookmark   Thanked by chltgirl    October 16, 2013 at 1:01PM
Agreed, recessed lights provide a cleaner look.
    Bookmark   Thanked by chltgirl    October 16, 2013 at 1:03PM
Vered Rosen Design
Yes, your gut feeling is right! You need to pick one area for pendant lights. Either your island or in front of the windows . Otherwise, you run the risk of creating a " lighting store" look. As for the windows area, recessed lights would be best. Attentively , you can add ceiling flush mounts in front of the windows, but make sure they match the pendants, style wise. Another note on pendants in front of the window- if your views are pretty, better not block them.
    Bookmark   Thanked by chltgirl    October 16, 2013 at 1:06PM
Universal Lights Inc.
I suggest you avoid putting mini pendants or really anything hanging in front of the window. It makes the place look/feel cluttered. Like others said, go with recess if you require additional lighting.
Vered Rosen Design
I'd like to add my thoughts on pendants in front of a window- yay or nay.
1. If the views outside are not pretty, a pendant can distract the eye
2. A glass pendant will not distract from the views during the day when it's not lit.
3. Mount the pendant high enough, above eye level so not to distract from the views
Here a post on the subject you might like to read http://veredrosendesign.blogspot.com/2012/08/kitchen-pendants-that-blend-in-with.html
    Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 1:33PM
Vered Rosen Design
Here an image of a pendant light that works in front of a window
1 Like    Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 1:40PM
LBC Lighting
Also consider a surface mount fixture that coordinates with the other pendants. It's decorative, but won't obstruct your sight lines.
    Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 3:45PM
Whispar Design
Which pendants are you installing and are you able to post a photo of the kitchen?
    Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 4:33PM
JandB Kitchen Designs
Hi,
A quick note about our experience: Brigitte and I consistently design between 70-90 kitchens/year (for over 34 years) and have designed thousands of kitchens.....We also design full structural including below-grade foundation plans.....We have 2 Chicagoland locations and a Michigan location which cover the Wisconsin to Indiana borders, N.W. Indiana and S.W. Michigan.....Anyway, without seeing the environment we'd say no pendants in front of the window....Attached are some where we did it but kept them tight to the soffit we'd skinned to match the cabinetry.....Hope this helps a bit.....John & Brigitte
    Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 6:02PM
Need help with pendant lights for kitchen - 3 single lights .
I have seen attached however looking for single light...
skkiel
Pendant light over kitchen sink?
We have 8 foot ceilings....how low do we hand a small...
darley
Need help in updating pendant lights for kitchen
Looking to update pendant lights in the kitchen. Any...
Heath Johnston
Pendant Lighting Over Kitchen Island
I am in love with this pendant light made by Hudson...
bluebird0211
Family Room Ideas!
I need help with the finishing touches on our family...
dsnason
Need help with cabinets over the island
HI: We want to put some cabinets over the island -...
suetutko
Need help on my tiles
So here's my dilemma . I'm not sure if I should keep...
bobpin18
New floor colour for small condo. Ideas?
I need to change the flooring in my small condo. A...
viennah
design help please!
Hi I will be moving into a new SMALL place! Talk...
Sherri Webber