Gas Fireplace
barbfryyc
Renovating the main floor to open concept with a transitional theme. We have a gas fireplace with the old fashioned logs and it's square. How difficult and/or how costly would it be to go with a more contemporary rectangular box and pebbles/crystals? The fireplace wall will become more of a feature wall with some type of built-ins to accommodate our TV on a swing arm. Mantel gone, carpet gone, furniture's gone, draperies gone, wall between kitchen and hall way gone - go big or go home, right?
Level Team Contracting
This depends on the sooooooo many variables- make and model of new fireplace; existing vent/chimney compatible with new fireplace vent and chimney; type of hearth/surround; additional framing required; electrical requirements; etc. You could be anywhere from 4k-25k.
October 16, 2013 at 5:39pm   
barbfryyc
Thanks for your input. Who would you recommend I have take a look at it? contractor or HVAC guy?
October 17, 2013 at 12:21pm   
incubus_of_habit
I recently asked about swapping fake logs for pebbles. Apparently you need a new burner configuration to handle that, so there'd be a cost there. (All that said, I can't understand why gas fireplaces cost so much...they're such simple devices...essentially a big metal box with a gas valve.)
October 17, 2013 at 12:28pm   
incubus_of_habit
Product idea for anyone in the fireplace industry that's listening: a contemporary replacement for fake logs that doesn't require changing the burner/any parts!
October 17, 2013 at 12:29pm   
random question regarding Buddhist inspired art
Does anyone know of websites or popular store chains...
Help update a long house with a short roof
I want to update the exterior with adding something...
China cabinet update
My circa 1972 dark pine china cabinet needs help. ...
Mid-century modern - replace wood paneling, redo floors... ideas!?
I want to pretty much redo the inside of this house...
This dining room is holding me hostage ...
... I can't walk by this room without stopping to stare...