Help with guest bath colors/style
bogdon0607
Hi everyone. Looking for some assistance with inexpensive updates to our guest bath. We'll update the whole space in a couple years but would like to work with what we have for now.

I've found a gold framed mirror on craigslist that would fit almost the entire space between the cabinets (photo attached.) I thought that might look nice with the vintage-dresser-turned-sink-vanity. Good? Bad? Better suggestions? Would the gold mirror clash with the chrome faucet? I could change out the hardware on the vanity if that helps.

What ideas do you guys have for paint color? The shower/toilet area has square subway tile and a built in cabinet above the toilet.
jansgirl
Really like the "antique" vanity!
October 16, 2013 at 10:39PM      Thanked by bogdon0607
evamdesign
I would lose the two upper cabinets! They look quite out of place with that beautiful dresser vanity. Remove them and then patch and paint and hen mount that gorgeous mirror horizontally to fill in the space. Don't mount it between those two upper cabinets vertically as it will look squeezed in.

Great start. I would not worry about the chrome faucet although brass is making a comeback and would likely be inexpensive to pick up from a Restore. In keeping with your repurposing of the dresser
October 16, 2013 at 10:40PM        Thanked by bogdon0607
Go ahead and use the gold mirror. Mixing metals is fine...as long as you repeat the finishes in the space. (Maybe a gold and silver soap dish or lotion dispenser or silver tray with gold jars). One other little "trick" to update a bathroom is to lose "bathroom rugs" and get a non bathroom rug for the space. A small traditional rug that relates to your vintage vanity would look great. I agree with evamdesign to lose the upper cabinets and install that mirror.

October 16, 2013 at 10:51PM        Thanked by bogdon0607
evamdesign
I think a gorgeous turquoise blue in a textured silk wallpaper would set off the beautiful wood of that vanity
October 16, 2013 at 10:54PM   
evamdesign
Yes Darzy, a gold tray to hold all the soap and toothbrush holders that will wreck havoc on that wooden countertop would be perfect
October 16, 2013 at 10:57PM     
bogdon0607
Thanks evamdesign and Darzy. As much as I like that storage space, I think you may be right about removing the cabinets. The only issue is that these seem to be original to the house and built in place. The last ONE we had removed in the kitchen ended up costing $200 for removal and patch as well as matching up the texture. I will ask my husband and see what he thinks. I will go ahead and purchase the mirror.

I definitely had the same thought to get a beautiful tray to set things on the counter and have already been on the lookout for one. I was hoping for square but I do like this one: http://www.worldmarket.com/product/gold+mirrored+tabletop+tray.do?&from=Search

and this one:
http://www.westelm.com/products/square-lacquer-trays-c346/?cm_src=SEARCH_TOPPRODUCT||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-Featured%20Tray-_-&cm_re=OnsiteSearch-_-SCHBillboard-_-SEARCH_TOPPRODUCT

The rugs are just old rugs we had so are temporary until we decided what direction to go in for colors.
October 17, 2013 at 8:03AM     
Front entry is BLAAAA.....need help!
Hi. I need help with my entry. I have a 4x4 round grey...
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
Kitchen Backsplash
i need help in choosing a backsplash for my kitchen...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Should I replace carpet with wood flooring?
I live in a ranch house on a slab in Ohio. We've had...