Galley kitchen to open living/kitchen next to the stairs
jeewonkim
We have the living room and kitchen on the second floor of a townhouse. The stairs lead up to the living room on the right side and the small galley kitchen is on the left inside a "box" of walls. There is another set of stairs going up to the third floor (leading up to the bedrooms) on the right side. We would like to remove the two walls surrounding the kitchen and open it up. I'm also considering putting up a wall where the staircase is to make that entire back side of the room into a one large kitchen, perhaps putting up a wall of high floor to ceiling cabinets on the right side, lined up next to where the open staircase is now. I'd love to have a big open kitchen but I'm afraid that would (1) reduce the natural light going into the stairs and (2) make it hard to get furniture up to the third floor. What are some options? I'd love some creative ideas! Thank you.
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
I would love to help but the photos don't tell me enough to understand. Can you post a floor plan ?
October 18, 2013 at 5:52am   
dclostboy
Not sure why you wouldn't be able to open the wall up above the counter unless load bearing. This would also allow you to potentially move the cabinets back.
October 18, 2013 at 6:11am   
I think your concerns are valid. Getting furniture in and out of rooms is a hassle. Could you access the top floor with a crane If necessary?

If I understand correctly you would be entering straight into your living and kitchen with your proposed plan.
October 18, 2013 at 6:20am   
Caroline Trinidad Architectural Alchemist, NKBA
First, find out if the walls you are trying to remove are load-bearing. Depending on your area dimensions, furniture placement is essential as well as a new kitchen layout. Can you post a diagram of the existing space with dimensions?
June 30, 2014 at 5:35am   
Please HELP open living/kitchen decorating
Just finished remodeling my ranch style home removing...
small and odd shape open concept living/kitchen room
This is my condo kitchen/living room....odd shape and...
Help for living/kitchen open plan
Any help for designing this open plan? it has 2 windows...
carpet color
We are replacing the carpet in the bedroom. The walls...
What Colour Should I Paint My Bedroom?
I'm thinking about painting my bedroom soon and I don't...
Ranch house exterior update!
I plan to add a 2 1/2 car garage, an office and a backyard...
Decorate the Houzz UK Office walls!
Hi everyone. We are looking for some good ideas for...
Need to check CNC art work at wood for interior modern style
Please need your advice with attached photoes for cnc...