Food for Thought
emachida
My husband and I just bought a house and we are trying to do as many projects as possible before we move in. The kitchen is definitely a project. The cabinets are in OK shape and are real wood so we are going to keep them. I thought about paint, but my husband doesn't want white cabinets, so we may just leave them as they are. I think I would like to use absolute black honed as the countertop and a Carrara marble backsplash, but our budget may not allow it. Does anyone have any suggestions for similar products that cost less? What do you think we should do On the floor. Or maybe completely different ideas for this kitchen?
motownmom
I understand wanting to get things done before you move in, but consider my advice for what it's worth: I wouldn't invest any money into a home I have not lived in for at least a year. Once in it, you may hate the layout.......find out something doesn't work well.....the shelves inside break. Any number of things can go wrong, and you've invested money in a countertop that no longer fits the layout you want for YOUR kitchen, the way YOU use it. An inexpensive kitchen remodel is at least $3000 and that's without major changes, just paint, maybe a floor & backsplash. There is a lot of countertop in that picture, and it's impossible to see the rest of the kitchen with only one picture.

If you feel you must change something before you move in, paint the green walls. Don't put things on top of the cabinets, it's cluttered looking. Then wait until you have saved some money and can do what you really want, knowing how the kitchen works for you.
October 18, 2013 at 3:27PM     
karemore55
Totally agree with motownmom here - very Sage advice! Sinking money into band-aid solutions before you have had a chance to really get to know this kitchen will probably result in some regrets. Try to be patient and, yes, just painting the walls will make you feel like you are putting your own stamp on this home and is easy (and cheap) to change.
October 18, 2013 at 3:39PM   
smileyface2013
If you go to a granite place, you can see which granites are lower costing. Uba tuba is a good lower priced look. It looks black although I'm not sure it technically is black. For backsplash, natural stone is not your cheapest option. I like porcelain tile.
October 18, 2013 at 3:47PM     
Avia Anderson
I had the exact dilemma not long ago. I got black granite countertops, matched my backsplash to the gold color in the cabinets and painted the walls a gold color to also match cabinets.I love it and I get many compliments. I wish I had a picture but \I don't. Good luck!
October 18, 2013 at 4:02PM     
gypsyrose17
I have recently seen some amazing backsplashes of large porcelain tile and marble (18" x 8" tiles/pieces), with minimal grout lines, almost a seamless look....really a fresh clean line. I suggest you paint to cover the green, then go to showrooms, look at websites, and see what inspires you! I picked a granite that is black with quartz, however instead of going for the free stainless steel double undermount sink I went for a white Kohler farmhouse sink...what a transformation in both look and feel of my kitchen (had been tan travertine everywhere) also made the slate floor pop!
October 18, 2013 at 4:25PM     
emachida
Thanks everyone for the advice. Maybe I will wait to do the counter. The floors are pretty gross, so that's pretty much dictating the pace. One thing leads to another and you've done the whole space, but I'll try to be patient.
October 18, 2013 at 6:23PM   
LB Interiors
I would keep the cabinets and change the countertop first. Black or black/brown would be nice. There are also some real nice laminates that are affordable.
Laminate Countertops
Venetian Gold Light
Golden Mascarello Laminate
Blue Storm Laminate
October 18, 2013 at 6:47PM     
makennac
Just as the others have advised you in this thread, your new home will evolve over time. That said, the impatient, unreasonable little demon tapping incessantly on my naughty side as she always does, says I should tell you there are inexpensive baby-steps you can take along the evolutionary timeline so your kitchen makes you happy. For example, you can hire someone to apply granite tile on top of your existing laminate, with a coordinating edge and backsplash. I said HIRE bc the top layer of the laminate needs to be stripped off before laying the granite. I'm told it's not difficult, but I've never done it (and neither has my little demon despite her claims to the contrary!). Granite tile is available in most of the popular shades, and in various sizes and thicknesses. I've had it applied as an interim measure on counters in three homes and for resale on two homes, and the results have been quite pleasing. If you choose this option, choose a matching grout and have everything sealed, please. Your sweet dream about a marble backsplash would be my nightmare because of its porous nature, I'm afraid. The advice you received re making your island one level is great!! It's a simple fix that should yield big impact and great results. The Rustoleum cabinet refinishing products are very highly rated, and I agree with all those who voted for you to paint your cabinets white. But I'd like to suggest you consider adding Rustoleum's distressing glaze to your white finish. This product, which is wiped on and then off, settles into creases like a "coffee" stain, and will help to hide any imperfections in your new finish. You might want to look into it. I would also advise you to please put the table, chairs and all other things you want to do out of your mind before it all drives you out of your mind, Dear. Enough's enough. Your home will evolve. Time will pass. Things will get done. Trends will trend. Put pics on your fridge, and when someone drops by unexpectedly (so rude!), show them the coming attractions (or not!). Whatever you do, please don't forget to have fun along the way. M
October 18, 2013 at 7:35PM   
makennac
Oops!! Hope you find this helpful... Your post was similar to another, and I posted my reply to yours in error. M
October 18, 2013 at 7:59PM   
ahelton142
Have you thought if painting your countertops until you decide what you want to do. I painted mine and love them .
October 19, 2013 at 7:58AM   
food procesing flooring, food processing floors
http://www.highperformancesystems.com/Food_Processing_Flooring.html Most...
Too cluttered?
I am at a stand still with this room. I don't know...
Deck and Patio design for privacy
We are finally putting a deck off of our kitchen sliding...
What do I do with this space?
So I have this space considered part of my 'formal'...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...
Help!!! Penny -Tile Installation looks awful!
I came home from vacation to find the new bathroom...