Long rectangle living room with fireplace and patio door
murielledesign
We bought a home with a long rectangle room with a fireplace on one side and a patio door running along the end wall. I would like it to be a cozy conversation area however that means I'll have to put at least something in front of the patio doors...any suggestions? Thank you very much!
A floorplan showing dimensions would be helpful.
0 Likes   October 18, 2013 at 4:57AM
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
It is difficult to tell from the photo what is on the other end of the room so I don't know if you will have a dining room table or a couch and TV area over there.

From what I can see I would suggest creating a sitting area in front of the fireplace with 2 matching armchairs and a small round table, a floor lamp, and an area rug. You will be creating a comfortable reading area, or an area to have a morning cup of coffee. You can also look for a simple painting for the wall behind the chairs.
0 Likes   Thanked by murielledesign    October 18, 2013 at 4:58AM
murielledesign
Yes, there are always plenty of variables. We have a large family...children, spouses and many small grandchildren. We are intending to have office , overflow behind with built in for Media and books. I'll enclose picture. Our dilemma is to get as many bums in the one long room for say...Christmas with crackling fire etc the room in its full length is 40x15 we intend to use 15' in the length to put glass doors to an office.( the bay windowed area) It really is the fire place and the patio window in on corner that's throwing me off. Thank you so much Houzz friends!
1 Like   October 18, 2013 at 5:27AM
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
Can you post a floor plan ?
0 Likes   October 18, 2013 at 5:32AM
murielledesign
Sorry it's a rough drawing...as good as it gets from this household!
0 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 3:46PM
murielledesign
Ps..... Love your work!
0 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 4:57PM
sunnydrew
What a great room to work with.
0 Likes   Thanked by murielledesign    October 23, 2013 at 5:21PM
For more seating try floating a two wing sectional (no chaise.) You can also do this with two equal length sofas in an "L." The back of one (or one wing) would face the office door and be perpendicular to the window and door on the top and bottom of your drawing. Pull the arrangement toward the door until you have comfortable clearance to walk in the door and get around the sofa - maybe as much as 3 feet, but less if it is comfortable for you. Add a sofa table behind the sofa or wing that faces the office. On the 5' and 7' sides of the window opposite the doorway add a pair of accent chairs and a table and lamp. Keep these chairs lightweight so they can be moved around for large gatherings. In front of the FP float a pair of swivel chairs and a table. Align them with the left slider door and behind them put a tall bookcase, secretary or other casegoods to help counterbalance the visual weight of the FP.
Both areas can be anchored with area rugs - not matched but similar. I have to go but will try to post pix later to give you some inspiration.
0 Likes   Thanked by murielledesign    October 23, 2013 at 5:23PM
LB Interiors
Before and After
Nice room! A sofa opposite the fireplace. A chair angled to the fireplace on the left of the sofa. another chair angled to the sofa on the right side of the fireplace. Chairs with or without caster wheels, to be able to move around in the room.

I would get two small ottomans for the coffee table, that can be used as two seating spaces for guests. Two more ottomans in front of fireplace hearth.

To create another seating space separate from the fireplace seating ... A bench with/without a back, on the wall where the lamp is but apart from the sofa and against the office wall.

Maybe a small rectangle drop-leaf table opposite the bench with four small folding chairs, against the right wall, near the window. Walkway space would be down the middle of these arrangements.
Seats approx. 15 guests.
Floor Plan - Before Living Room Rectangle
Floor Plan - After Living Room Rectangle
0 Likes   Thanked by murielledesign    October 23, 2013 at 5:55PM
murielledesign
Thank you , thank you! Your suggestions are really helpful. I am grateful for every single comment and inspiration photo ( which I am eager to see) hope to post pictures "after" when complete.
M
1 Like   October 24, 2013 at 2:48AM
Here are some inspirations using orange as your accent color, but lots of other ones work with your gray. The dark sectional looks to be very flexible and easily separated into two completely independent sofas. That provides you with many more options for arranging. I'd keep the sectional and swivel chairs neutral and add color and pattern with the accent chairs, pillows and rugs. Ikat rugs are a point of reference for using two different but related rugs.
Gus Modern Adelaide Bi-Sectional Sofa - Muskoka Shale Gus Modern Harbord Loft Bi-Sectional Sofa, Urban Tweed Truffle Crosby Swivel Chair Otis Swivel Chair
Curvetta Modern Design Accent Chair
Twilight Grey Accent Chair - Avenue Six Jasmine Accent Chair Becci Fabric Accent Chair - Leaves Charcoal Ikat Rug Multi Ikat Rug
Courtyard Residence Living Room
1 Like   Thanked by murielledesign    October 24, 2013 at 8:55AM
Another inspiration.
0 Likes   Thanked by murielledesign    October 24, 2013 at 9:03AM
murielledesign
Oooo thank you so much ....So pretty that orange is definitely worth exploring.
0 Likes   October 25, 2013 at 11:32AM
Blindsgalore
Looks like you have a great set up suggestion above, wouldn't change a thing there. However you have got to utilize that bay window area! Stunning windows! Create extra seating with storage underneath. Soften up the windows with a nice patterned drapery. Decorate that sliding glass door with a panel track blind (cordless of coarse to keep the kiddos safe). Then roman shade for each individual window (also cordless).

Good Housekeeping™ Roman Shades

Bali® Sliding Panels: Promenade & Rafia
0 Likes   Thanked by murielledesign    October 25, 2013 at 12:29PM
murielledesign
What a wonderful and creative idea you have for the bay window...it's such a lovely area and this idea enhances the space. This whole house has been a challenge with small rooms and very little flow. We have taken out walls to open it up and are feeling much better about the space especially with our help from houzz ! We certainly cannot afford to get it wrong. M
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 4:03AM
Blindsgalore
Happy to help, Murielle :)
1 Like   October 30, 2013 at 8:44AM
Meghan
Can't wait to see the finished room!
2 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 8:49AM
murielledesign
Look what I did :-)
Thank you for all your great comment....gave me confidence!
1 Like   September 15, 2014 at 1:47PM
murielledesign
Sorry about the doubles!
0 Likes   September 15, 2014 at 1:48PM
LB Interiors
Murielle, I see that you used most of my floor plan. Thanks for trying that, I think it looks great!

Did you have the bookcases and benches built in? They are great!
Perfect to accommodate your large family Great job !!!
0 Likes   September 15, 2014 at 2:19PM
LB Interiors
Just wondering if you move out the green plant stand near the doors, would you be able to move the sofa, coffee table and chairs closer to line up with the sofa centered to the fireplace? It sure looks nice this way too. Just a bit picky about line of sight for focal points. : ))
0 Likes   Thanked by murielledesign    September 15, 2014 at 2:21PM
murielledesign
sure thing i will do now...thanks for your help def appreciated!!!!
Done! Did you notice we added light? yup a skylight...
Yes we built in the book/ game cases. We have 7 grandchildren the oldest is 5 ~whew~. they LOVE coming to grammas toy room- thanks again! Oh and the room with the bay window its for time outs, my office and our cozy TV room :-)
1 Like   September 15, 2014 at 2:35PM
Debbie McMahon Carr
Looks great.
1 Like   September 15, 2014 at 3:14PM
LB Interiors
Oh, darn I missed that, there was an empty room and Voila, a New room :))
Love it, love the bookcases and lighting... so smart!
0 Likes   September 15, 2014 at 3:25PM
LB Interiors
Great way to use the office TV room.
0 Likes   September 15, 2014 at 3:28PM
LB Interiors
You are so welcome!! You will thoroughly enjoy all your family gatherings.
1 Like   September 15, 2014 at 3:29PM
Great looking built-ins!
1 Like   September 15, 2014 at 5:21PM
Help with long living room. Big sliding patio doors
We just bought this house. It has big sliding patio...
Trying to figure out a living room layout (long rectangle)
I'm trying to figure out how to layout the living room...
How can i arrange a long rectangle shape living room ??
My living room is long n rectangled shaped with a huge...
Awkward living room alert! Patio door...L shape fireplace...help!
AWKWARD LIVING ROOM ALERT! We're having a lot of trouble...
Closing home for winter
Need help closing down my house for the winter
Exterior paint color for old Dutch house
Hi . . . I wanted to throw this out there to see what...
EZ Reach upper corner dilemma - What would you do?
I'm doing Conestoga inset cabinets and have a small...
HELPPP! Stained Furniture project gone wrong?!?
Hey Everyone! Any way to save this project? In...
Need help with for living room like the photo
Need help with more design ideas for living room like...