Ideas to improve retirement home
irish09October 18, 2013
This is my newly decorated retirement home; I love it. I am writing to ask for advice and ideas on how to improve and take to the next level. I like things simple, without clutter.

I appreciate any ideas you have to offer.

Thank you in advance.
sange13
Beautiful space
7 Likes    Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 9:12AM
condomary
Very nice. I really like your tile floors. Like it all :->
1 Like    Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 9:21AM
Agree with others, but how is your task lighting? Do you need a light by the armchair? And probably for some warmth a rug by the back of your sofa and the window. Nothing more and only practical usage.
4 Likes    Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 9:25AM
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
So nicely done....love your shutters ....
3 Likes    Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 9:26AM
Rina
My first reaction is to paint the mantlepiece near-black, using the clock as reference. There is no reason for it to match the door trim. Make it stand out. Love the vase in that picture. My second is to get some humour and personal quirkiness into the room. The Celtic-looking table is a start, but you need more. Art in the position I've indicated below? Something with energy or whimsy, that makes you smile. A vast, luxurious, textured throw for the couch, in cream. Or coral or peacock blue. A darkwood side table in the corner between the couch and the dark chair, with something tall and beautiful on it. A lamp would probably not be practical there, trailing wires and all that, but a piece of sculpture? A luxurious, deep-pile rug for the sitting area, in a deeper green than your walls. Fly the patterned cushions and replace with coral or peacock blue cushions.

And that's enough from me.
7 Likes    Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 9:38AM
Rina
I forgot to indicate below. Fiddle. I always know how to ruin a good exit.
5 Likes    Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 9:39AM
irish09
Oh, we noticed the missing light near the chair and added a pottery barn lamp.
4 Likes    Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 9:42AM
Rina
As long as I've ruined my exit, cream cushions too. The colour from the coffee table. What a find that was, congratulations!
    Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 9:45AM
Rina
Excellent. The lamp.
    Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 9:46AM
vdean
Thanks, Rena

We ran to hone store and found these. Are these too bright?
    Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 10:35AM
vdean
Rina, I should clarify that I am irish09 sister and we are out shopping
3 Likes    Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 10:39AM
Rina
Hi sister. I like the last one. The others are, ummm, not classy enough. I have an 8.30 movie to watch in three minutes' time (S Africa), so that's it from me for the night. Enjoy your shopping.
    Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 11:29AM
scorpiobob
I like number three
1 Like    Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 1:59PM
irish09
My thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I appreciate the time you took to review my pics and lend your expertise.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 5:15PM
sunnydrew
Your room looks great as it is . Enjoy it before starting to change things again. I love the green!
6 Likes    Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 5:57PM
clearbluelady
Yep, agree with above post, enjoy as it is now then change a few things later. I think it is great as is!
5 Likes    Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 6:11PM
clearbluelady
Oh...wait....you need a few green plants!
3 Likes    Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 6:12PM
Maguire
Very pretty room. I agree with Rina and all she suggested and that more personality could be added to the room. I like your mirror, but not over the fireplace - it looks like it reflects the ceiling fan. I'd put it somewhere else and get something more interesting there. If you don't want an end table you could add a sofa table for lighting.
Do you love your travertine floors? They're beautiful. I like the way you've covered your sliders too. I'd completely forgotten about the sliding shutters but they're so easy and clean looking.
If this is your retirement home, what did you do with all of your "stuff". Your collections and all? Family photos? Art? I'm in the SF bay so I'll post a fun picture by Thomas McKnight and an oil on canvas for you by Angela Brady, Poppies of Ireland - it works with your green and new coral pillows! (Price: €150 - pretty good for an oil, right?)
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 8:23PM
Rina
Enchanting pictures, Maguire. Big smile on my face. How did the shopping go, Irish?
    Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 12:22AM
estelleruby
Great combination color, and great choice of furniture.
    Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 3:23AM
vdean
Thanks for all the gods feedback. We are considering what could add the color and mimsy. Here is what we are thinking:
The home is near st Petersburg Florida, close to the Dali museum.
A large copy of Gala overlooking the meditiranian would give opportunity for discussion during dinners and from the sliders across the room is the image of Lincoln. The colors are good too

Thoughts?
3 Likes    Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 6:03AM
joots07
Yes, the Dali. And how fortunate to live in St. Petersburg. I visited there this June, took in the fabulous Dali museum and a couple of those wonderful cafes, jogged along the harbor. What a great town. Fun in the sleepy off season, must be a blast on season.
    Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 7:07AM
sange13
Florida has the best furniture places, I loved looking and shopping there. :)
    Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 8:03AM
eightpondfarm
very pretty. and comfortable! since it's FL i'd maybe go easy on floor covering.... maybe sisal, esp if you're close to a beach. btw....sand will dull that shine on the marble and you may even like the space better. personally, i like a lived-in looking space... your's invites living :)
    Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 8:15AM
US Door & More Inc
I would add a plant. They bring a lot of life into apts.
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 8:17AM
Rina
The Dali is wonderful. And with Lincoln? Wonderful. They both recreated our ways of thinking. Now there's a subject for conversation.
    Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 8:33AM
mpoulsom
YES ON THE DALI!!!!!!!! Looks like you need art on the walls, rugs on the floor to me! Then fine tune after that!
    Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 8:44AM
Maguire
Wow! A little racier than I would have guessed. I love it! That will add so much to your room and works with just about any other accent color you'd want to add. I hope you two sisters have fun together in such a beautiful place today.
    Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 9:21AM
vdean
Yes, we like the Dali more and more
However, we want to do this tastefully, so we are considering things about canvas, frame, etc. it must be large and yet done right. What kind of frame or backing do you think is best?

Thoughts?
    Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 9:31AM
Castle Design
You might add a rug under the table or in a seating area. Why not try changing your throw pillows seasonally for a pop of color. Great job on the redo
    Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 9:40AM
vdean
Maguire, thanks for your feedback, regarding your question about travertine floors. They are beautiful and I LOVE them, however, the finish scratches too easily and causes me daily stress with visitors. I would do a honed finish if I did this again.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 9:42AM
mpoulsom
Dali framed in dark wood frame with white mat!
    Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 10:01AM
anne dee
regarding framing the Dali I believe it would not be possible as you would lose the optical illusion and the trompe l'oeil effects.
I think it might be best to leave unframed.
3 Likes    Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 10:07AM
mpoulsom
This much mat with a brown frame...(on gala/lincoln)

how about a large tall plant in a beautiful pot/urn??? Like this Fiddle Fig plant. I love these and i think they are fairly easy to maintain. :)
3 Likes    Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 10:29AM
Maguire
If you can get the print on canvas, no mat. On paper, a linen mat would look great and just a simple wood frame that works with the legs of your gorgeous coffee table and other woods in the room.
Sorry to hear about the scratches on the travertine. As long as they're not too deep they can be buffed out once every couple of years.
    Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 10:29AM
mpoulsom
anne dee...the Dali Museum sells them matted.....it shouldn't effect the image at all.
Not meaning to be a jerk here or anything....promise!
Dali is my favorite artist of all time and trust me I would not want to screw with one of his works of art! :)
But to be quite honest, I don't know what size she has anyway....so that would be a consideration. Or whether it is a flat print, or printed on stretched canvas??? If on stretched canvas, I may not use a frame at all. Everything in this room looks pretty elegant to me though.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 10:35AM
Maguire
You can buy them matted? Perfect. You're right mpoulsom, very elegant space here. I hope we get to see the Dali up. Maybe she'll snap a photo for us.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 11:21AM
anne dee
No matter .... I still think it would look more effective without a frame regardless of size.
It's personal taste and opinion :-)
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 11:39AM
vdean
Considering pillow color coral and a throw

Attached is a coral towel against the chair which is nice, but does not seem a fit in the environment with the mental. Perhaps a rust color pillow.

Also she got a warm cozy throw in dark brown.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 7:10AM
irish09
Ok, it's me, the silly, quiet owner. Again, my sincere thanks for all of your thoughts. I never expected to receive so many interesting and well thought out suggestions. I am really liking the deli Lincoln print and I agree that the framing should be minimal. I am so out of Murphy league on how to make a reprint a work of art. I have several framed art pieces at home (pa) and had them all framed there. The framing is very heavy. So I really need to know where to purchase such a print already framed. I checked the deli museum website, and the best quality was not framed. Has anyone framed a similar print in a frame that you think would be appropriate. If so, do you mind sharing a picture so that I can copy. Thanks again.

Pictures below:
1. The spot where it will be hung
2. This is in the hall steps. There are 6 planks of wood. I think this looks current and what I think I am trying to duplicate ( not sure...there is no frame)
3. This is in our bedroom. I think it's a pretty frame, but as current.

Any shared thoughts are appreciated.

Lastly, I promise when it's done..to post the glorious print....from close and afar
3 Likes    Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 7:20AM
vdean
Here is a rust; not a pillow but gives an idea of color
    Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 7:50AM
vdean
Or yellow/mustard?
5 Likes    Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 7:54AM
Maguire
How wonderful that so many colors look nice with the colors in your room. The mustard is my favorite, it's happy, but the rust looks nice too.
I noticed that you called your print a "deli print" twice rather than a Dali. Wondering if its Freudian and if you love the print. If you do, and decide to get it, having it done on canvas and leaving it unframed will work cohesively with the other art in your home.
The suggestion above to paint your cabinets was from a cabinet painter, I hope you don't.
3 Likes    Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 8:20AM
Rina
I vot the Dali be done on canvas, no frame. But seeing the well-framed version could change my mind. I'm nothing if not wishy washy.

However, my heart loves the coral but I get your point about the rust colours around the mantlepiece not working with it. I like both the others, but I think the rust has more punch. The yellow blends beautifully, but I think the punch works better. Incidentally, the colour of the chair in these pictures doesn't even resemble the colours in your original picture. So it goes. So I've played on screen putting the images together.
    Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 8:42AM
Rina
I do not vot. I vote.
3 Likes    Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 8:45AM
debi1949
My furniture is very close to the color of yours. I had yellow, and white pillows for summer. I just changed them to sage and pumpkin. I think you may like that better than the coral or rust. We are in Scottsdale, so it is sunny most of the fall and winter as I assume it is in St. Petersburg.
    Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 10:53AM
Maguire
Changing out pillow covers is fun. Most of mine are 18" sq. so I can put new covers on them, storing the covers I'm not using. I showed the photo below from a magazine I just got to my husband and he got aggravated by the pillow overload! So as much as I would love to change with every season, I'll stick with the 2 seasons I have.
3 Likes    Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 1:08PM
OK GROUP
We are the biggest handmade carpet and rug manufacturer

www.galleryottomanart.com
www.heirloomturkey.com
www.turkmencarpet.net

Regards
    Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 1:23PM
OK GROUP

www.galleryottomanart.com
www.heirloomturkey.com
www.turkmencarpet.net

Regards
    Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 1:23PM
rosecafe
Your decor looks just fine to me, perhaps a geometric or zebra patterned cushion or two might add some zing to the browns and caramels, but you know, it's a very personal thing, so if you're comfortable...... However, as I say to my prospective retirement home residents, you should make up your mind while you have a mind to make up! Oh yes.... and be sure you have wide access doorways and an emergency call system connected to qualified medical staff. Somehow the color of throw rugs, cushions and walls never seems to matter when you're prostrate on the floor : (
5 Likes    Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 2:05PM
Diana V. McLean
I know you like simplicity but the room definitely needs texture and some pattern. The coffee table is a bit big for the size of your room. Also everything looks new. Go to some flea markets and pick out some unique objects which say you. Also, rather than purchasing prints of art, go to the local art stores and look at local artists works. They don't have to cost a lot to give a good vibe. It gives your home a very individual look rather than a look anyone could have. I agree to live in the home for awhile. I sold my home after 20 years and moved into a condo and I waited almost a year before tackling the big jobs and I'm so glad I did.
I wish you good living in your new abode.
4 Likes    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 6:40AM
Urgoodbuyz
i think you need a puppy on the couch. :)
10 Likes    Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 7:00AM
rupert2002
It looks good but could look great! It needs more color and warmth. An area rug, some more colorful art or black and white photos in a white background and black frames.
A huge vase with beautiful flowers, plants to add greenery, colorful bowl with some assorted hard. candies. Maybe some candles but the battery ones are best...not dangerous! I agree with another person .....a couple of pretty cats and a dog would be the finishing touch to your home and heart! I do animal rescue. So many need homes!!
3 Likes    Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 8:03AM
Rina
Good for you, Rupert.
    Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 8:47AM
agedtechie
Do NOT be afraid to go bold. I can tell you from experience that most of my friends are too timid to do what they really love...even at 65 and beyond, which is a shame. Folks need the insight into the true YOU. Good luck, there are some great suggestions here already.
    Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 5:38AM
splagna
I like the open style of your kitchen and living room. The stools at your kitchen counter are a nice "keep me company while I cook" touch.

Will this be your "old age" home too?

Before my mother passed away I remember how her house became an accident trap and she broke her hip tripping over an unsecured rug and upholstered rocking chair. She wanted to remain in her house as long as she could before passing away. She refused to give up independence, her garden and her dog right to the end.

Here are some things to consider if you do.
1. Make your kitchen accessible. Bring upper cabinets down to the floor. use lower cabinets with drawers, not doors. (My mother could no longer reach items in upper cabinets without a step stool and the bottom ones that did not have pull out drawers she had to get down on her hands and knees to get things.)
2. Use door and window hardware that is easy on your hands and requires very little stength to operate.
3. Make sure that there are more than enough electrical wall outlets or additional ones that aren't behind furniture and are accessible for medical equipment/recharging. Avoid the use of extension cords that can be eaten by a vacuum cleaner or become tripping hazards. (By electrical code, electrical receptacles are placed 8' on center but generally older houses only have one outlet per room wall.)
4. Bring lighting down from the ceiling to task level. (My mom was always trying to replace bulbs in ceiling fixtures by standing on a kitchen chair!) Use three way lamps so that light intensity can be adjusted as needed. Add lighting inside closets, cabinets, above countertops and to walls (in the bathroom.) It's better to have more than not enough.
5. Choose furniture that will support your body and permit you to move on and off of easily. Select furniture with legs that are recessed or has toe spaces so they do not become obstructions and trip you when your toe strikes a leg.
6. Think low maintenance and easy care materials use.

Design and construction is geared to place emphasis on Universal Design, not just the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or "accessible design"; we ALL are getting older and have trying physical needs of one sort or another sometime.
7 Likes    Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 5:48AM
gypsyrose17
perhaps an embroidered or woven pillow....look at Pier 1 Imports for ideas.
    Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 8:54AM
Lupita Madrigal
Yo pondría un tapete en la de un color calido y acogedor que contraste con el color de la sala.
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 9:07AM
Shannon Olden
beautiful room. no coral or pink!! orangey red instead for a cushion. goes great with green and gold. a few plants, not too many.reddy brown wicker basket on the coffee table to soften the look of the stone.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 9:12AM
Lynne Crumpacker
Friends moved into a similar apartment and lined their kitchen with cabinets, as your kitchen is. Then they found that with down-sizing, they really didn't need them all. To open up the space, especially since there's no window and it's connected with the living area, I'd get rid of as many of the upper wall cabinets as possible and have open shelves and/or a colorful piece of art with a dramatic spotlight on it. I think I'd at least paint the upper ones a light color. It's a problem with all rooms that combine living, kitchen, dining...how to make them work together.
    Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 9:16AM
suzannah48
I love your coffee table. However - it eats up a lot of space. And be careful with area rugs as you and your guests get older - risk of fall from tripping.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 9:22AM
Rina
Hello again, Irish. I absolutely mean no offence and the advice is good and comes from a gentle place, but I have this mental image of people overwhelmed with worry about you and your friends breaking bones. I'm pushing seventy, and I rather see you as getting ready to have a really good time in your new home. Wahoo!
5 Likes    Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 9:34AM
suzannah48
Rina, I think the cautions were added for consideration over time - not for her now necessarily.
    Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 10:32AM
meowlady
@Maguire -- Do you know the name of that Thomas McKnight print? With my (ahem) purple couch and aqua sheers in my living room, I NEED that! :)
1 Like    Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 11:21AM
decoratinglady5
Whats not to love about your home,I love it all.What a gorgeous coffee table,and love the warm color on the walls..I would not paint the kitchen cabinets,they look nice.Enjoy it all!!!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 11:37AM
Rina
Hi Suzannah -- yes, I really don't mean any criticism, and I'm sure Irish appreciates them, it's just that at my age they made me giggle. But also appreciate. :) I get a great kick out of being addressed by strangers as "gogo", which means "grandmother". Who, me? Oh, yes. Me.
3 Likes    Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 11:49AM
Inner Visions Interiors
Beautiful space. Have you thought about adding a narrow sofa table behind the couch? It would be a good place for lamps and perhaps family photos. I love your coffee table. For warmth, I would add some pillows in the same rust tones as the giant vase next to the fireplace., as well as some cream colored pillows. Enjoy your retirement!
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 12:19PM
suzannah48
Rina - I'm 65 and have rugs, etc. and plan to for a long time....Her home is beautiful. I'm envious.
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 2:21PM
Maguire
Irish09 will you snap another photo when the Dali is up? Were you in the design or art industry? You're doing just fine on your own and have great taste, in furniture, art, ceramics, glassware and other accessories - like someone that knows what they're doing.

Meowlady, That's San Francisco Bay by McKnight. I got the photo off of http://www.paragonfineart.com/artists/thomas-mcknight.html But they are more expensive serigraphs, his work is on art.com and other sites too.
    Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 3:21PM
meowlady
Thanks, Maguire -- much appreciated! Irish09 -- it is a gorgeous home. Congrats! :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 3:29PM
mdeceault
Your home is beautiful! Could you tell me the brand and size, color of your dining table. I really like it. It is just what I am looking for. Thanks so much.
    Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 8:39PM
Rina
Susannah and Irish, me to. Envious.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 9:10PM
Rina
Me too is what I meant. Legs still in good shape, not so much the brain.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 9:11PM
Nancy Walton
It seems to me that the couch and chairs are crowding the fireplace, and you have a big empty space between the living room and the dining set. I think you could pull the couch out about two feet, and then the chairs wouldn't need to be jammed into the corners. Other than that, I think it is a tastefully done space.
    Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 11:42PM
beesknees2260
Nice home. Only thing I would do is treat myself to some beautiful (real) floral arrangement for table.
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 6:14AM
Valerie
I like the clean, uncluttered look. There was an earlier comment on removing some of the upper cabinets. Rather than do that I suggest replacing the center panels of a couple of the cabinet door fronts on the uppers with clear textured art glass. It can be done rather easily and inexpensively, and will make the kitchen appear lighter and brighter to match the rest of the house. If you put lighting inside the cabinet you can use it to show off your fine crystal. If you don't have pretty crystal to show off you can use a more heavily textured glass that is not so transparent.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 10:15AM
Very nice. What are trying to do? Maybe a fuzzy white area rug by sofa. Coffee table seems too big. Add art in bold colors. Room lacks texture and accent color.
    Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 10:19AM
ms01
Lovely space! Being in Florida and looking at your color palette, a piece of art with a touch of turquoise and yellow will add excitement and will still go with your decor. It can be a wallpa a sculpture or simply a turquoise vase with sunflowers in it.
    Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 11:26AM
irish09
Irish here. My thanks again for all of your wonderful suggestions. As I review all of your suggestions, I think I need to clarify a couple things:
1. I'm only 54 and in fair physical shape ( walk about 4 miles a day at y).
2. Although this is our future retirement home, it will only be used once a month for 4-5 days for the next 3-5 years (I live and work in pa but managed to visit this future retirement home ten times last year). I want the place uncluttered for quick cleaning when I bring guests down.
3. Live plants are out...however, I normally pick up a bouquet of star gazers or lillies for my dining table when I visit.
4. Someone asked about the furniture...it was all purchased at Thomasville ( one stop shop). I love the dining room table and the mosaic marble sofa table.
5. Now that I have returned to pa, my husband is nixing the Dali print. Bummer.

So, I'm still looking for a couple "different" colorful art pieces. Your comments have made me feel pretty comfortable with my choices thus far ( I'm not a decorating or home expert...I'm in the finance industry).

So, again, my since appreciation for all 80 comments ( never expected that).

- Irish
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 7:13AM
Rina
Hello, Irish. Nice to meet you with all the details. Your HUSBAND nixed the Dali? Oh dear, oh dear, husband. Bad. Now mine would have insisted I order three.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 8:25AM
Maguire
Hi Irish, well this is a first....the husband nixing the naked lady Dali! He's got the real deal there though! Was there another piece at the Dali museum you and your sister were considering? You have great taste in art so I'm dying to see what you pick next.
A young 54! No more talk of tripping on rugs or wetting the furniture! LOL! Let's have some fun - here's a wine console for the wall in the dining.
I love the last photo you posted with the star gazers in the pitcher. So pretty.

1 Like    Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 3:10PM
mpoulsom
how about "the kiss" then, if you want a print.....another favorite of mine! or one of Klimt's....
3 Likes    Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 8:21PM
mpoulsom
but if you do want a Dali.....Gala nude sitting is beautiful. Not color, but PURE beauty!
or the famous Toreador! it has the color and the magic like the lincoln.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 8:27PM
irish09
I'm not an art expert (at all) and i never heard of The Kiss, but wow, it's beautiful, colorful and may be a perfect fit. Even my "husband said, "it's colorful...it's an option". So, as in " Dumb and Dumber", there's a chance
3 Likes    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 6:31AM
marls04200
That looks like a dream space! Looks sunny so I'd bring the outdoors in with a floor plant somewhere and flowers on the coffee table.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 7:45AM
slidingdownbanisters
Beautiful home.
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 8:45AM
mshields100
hello irish09 - i'm late to the game (only check this site once in a great while) but couldn't help join in the fun here. your place is off to a lovely start - and your somewhat-neutral pallet is great; you'll be able to change out a few pillows here & there for easy updates as you see fit. i agree with a couple of the earlier comments that it would be charming if you were to add something personal, like family photos (unless you're renting the place out on occasion). or a plaque with a witty irish saying (i know there are some great ones out there...). do you & your husband have hobbies? let your place say something about you or else it will look and feel like a hotel (albeit, yours is a very nice one!). enjoy!
1 Like    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 10:26PM
marytbates
My husband and I are young 60s. I recently retired from my career. We built a home near Englewood FL. We plan to spend summers at our Lake Erie PA home, and most of the winter in FL, except when we head to CO to do our favorite sports. I think your place looks great. I would recommend going the colorful FL route with accessories, keeping your calming colors (in your furniture, floors) as anchors. The FL vibe is outdoorsy and vibrant. It's fitting to bring this inside a home. I like the fact that you have Not splashed your space with all those Floridian knickknacks we see, like gaudy flamingo figurines or alligators!
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 10:47AM
margaretkay
Good use of space and color. The coffee table is rather large for the space, and although beautiful, could be a hazard. Enjoy your lovely new digs!
    Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 11:30AM
What can I do to improve the curb appeal of this small home
I would like to improve the curb appeal of my small...
dmanuel3
Retirement Home
We are retired and building our retirement home and...
Jan Lucas
Can you recommend improvements / ideas for my bedroom?
Here is the master bedroom of my new house. Do you...
britm
How to improve exterior of my home?
Tell me how you would spruce up my home...what colors...
hanks
Elizabeth Harbage Tobin
Should I just start over and buy new cabinets
A old Florida house with hand painted kitchen cabinets....
mxc6141
Kitchen cabinet dilemna
Kitchen -- can't decide. Does vanilla cream fall into...
1pierina
curb appeal HELP!!
I never wanted to buy a split level but with our budget...
bridgetgv
Small Entry Hall
First time home buyer... So I am pretty lost when it...
stealy
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie