POLL: Favorite Flea Market Finds
Houzz Polls
October 18, 2013 in Polls
What is your favorite thing to shop for at the flea market?

Vote for your choice! To enter the drawing to win your very own pair of Houzz Slippers, POST A COMMENT telling us the coolest thing you have found at your local flea market (share your photos too!) and you will automatically be entered into the drawing.

*One entry per person, per drawing. Entries must be posted before 12:00am Pacific Time 10/27/13. One winner will be drawn at random.
One-of-a-kind Art Pieces
Refinished Furniture
KnickKnacks
Unique Outdoor Furniture
Just for Fun!
Other - Tell us below!
Lauren Elyse Fine Art, LLC.
STATEMENT pieces, whether it be art, ceramics, a painting, or a vintage piece of furniture in its original condition, what matters most to me is not what category it falls into, but that it's a piece you can place in a room and it will be noticed.
October 18, 2013 at 2:47pm     
Charlotte Jarrell
I love to shop for old picture frames and furniture
October 18, 2013 at 3:01pm     
happyasaclam
Something there will be calling for me. Sometimes I actually find it! I especially love furniture in need of a little TLC and old linens.
October 18, 2013 at 3:29pm     
joyce_6333
Anything Arts & Crafts style, especially pottery.
October 18, 2013 at 4:14pm     
indianpatti
antique motorcycle anything .. parts, clothing, art .. love it!
October 18, 2013 at 4:18pm   
Pure Home
Finding a diamond in the rough can be so rewarding!
October 18, 2013 at 4:34pm     
Fl!p Breskin
salvaged parts of cool old furniture! And bright colored, plain glassware from any era.
October 18, 2013 at 5:32pm     
jimmyjamjar
Living in Brisbane we seldom see a good flea market.
October 18, 2013 at 5:54pm   
Sigrid
I like interesting silver plate. It tends to be affordable and usable. I also like furniture, but a lot of the refinishing is either badly done or the wrong color. Given that re-upholstery often costs more than piece of furniture, it's really annoying to see a nice piece that someone has upholstered in either a wild color that matches nothing, or a nice, neutral white that will get stained within a month.
October 18, 2013 at 11:22pm   
kdesignerinc
I love the unique art pieces & the refinished furniture.
October 19, 2013 at 7:17am     
mousemaker
i'm sitting here wearing my Houzz slipppers :) but I wanted to comment...
I like to look for old garden trellises and garden tools. you can't have too many? things to train a climber on!
October 19, 2013 at 10:00am     
lauren beyda
book is best to buy, people have good finds
October 19, 2013 at 11:05am   
Best thing I ever found: a piece of original art by a young man from Togo. Wasn't exactly a flea market price, though, because he could see as soon as I saw Beulah, I'd fallen in love.
October 19, 2013 at 11:37am     
mpoulsom
2 favorite things that I can think of right off the bat...a beautiful antique rug and a tiny little wooden Pinocchio doll! I don't have the rug anymore :(, but i still have the little doll!
October 19, 2013 at 12:07pm     
rupert2002
I have gotten a lot of treasured items at flea markets, antique shpos, people just selling things in the street. American pottery, cobblers bench, end tables, lamps, bowls, plates,
Sometimes you really find wonderful pieces for very little money. They become your most prized possessions.
October 19, 2013 at 12:56pm     
dkvhaus
I love love love character-shabby-Ethnic-colonial-chic in any form: tables, kimono, dragon/ python robes, mosaic tables, Saipan hats (fav)
October 19, 2013 at 2:36pm   
carolannr
I love to find a quality pc for a cheap price. Re-dos are what I do and I seldom agree with painted pcs done by others. And, lord save us from "shabby chic" scruffy paint pcs!
October 19, 2013 at 3:19pm     
irene
Not too many flea markets about here but my best op shop buy was this beautiful original acrylic painting in a local op shop for $5. I did a little research on the artist and found she had passed away about a year previously and was a member of a state artists society, so quite talented. This was a painting of her granddaughter. I love it!
October 20, 2013 at 5:01am     
7417
Love the African chair! Would look fabulous in my very modern/stainless steel/white leather living room!
October 20, 2013 at 5:19am   
soccersue
Old wooden window frames!
October 20, 2013 at 5:27am     
inga8888
Items that I my grandmother or mom would have used provide a wonderful tug at the heart and remind me of days gone by.
October 20, 2013 at 6:18am     
Samantha Rottschafer
If rather find furniture and refinish myself (or put the hubby to work) and make it our own. There is nothing like finding a one-of-a-kind art piece that will tie a room together and also be a great conversation piece.
October 20, 2013 at 6:25am   
AliciaTappDesigns Images on Tiles
I make sculptural ceramic pieces and so I love to find objects that are rusty or old and use them in my ceramics.. Like for instance a figure I created with clay adhered onto an old birdcage and her arms are old spark plugs,, Her hair has old watch parts in it.
October 20, 2013 at 6:33am     
Tana Marston
I get my email about these after the date has expired. It said I had til the 17th to vote and did not get this til the 20th.
October 20, 2013 at 7:09am   
emuller39
My favourite flea market find was exiting to me but maybe not to others... the cream and sugar set for my light blue Anchor Hocking depression glass for $15. What a steal! What a surprise addition to my collection!
October 20, 2013 at 7:17am     
hoserarena
love to find things that can be repurposed or refurbish ,there re no limits,all you need is a little imagination
October 20, 2013 at 7:33am   
scotiamae
I love to collect old farm tools, fake plants and sunroom furniture
October 20, 2013 at 7:50am   
FMSProjects, Inc.
Outdoor objects and would-be art are our favorites; bird houses and old metal truck-toys are examples.
October 20, 2013 at 8:10am   
Tana Marston
I sure wish we had flea markets around here. Maybe it is best that we don`t, or I might be a broken hoarder. I have to settle with auctions. I like old things.
October 20, 2013 at 8:14am     
betd
While I would like one of a kind art pieces, I really love to find old hand painted China. Little items that were painted by people, in there homes or at a factory to be used every day. I have a beautiful square dish (probably for small pastries) the color and artwork is amazing.
October 20, 2013 at 9:45am   
Shannon Olden
Love furniture that has NOT been refinished...that way I can do it up my way!
October 20, 2013 at 9:59am     
Linda
Small, unique decor items...I already have more furniture than I need
October 20, 2013 at 10:33am   
Chase
I'm always on the lookout for unique looking (refinished) furniture pieces. Some pretty insane deals can be has...whether or not it works with my style
October 20, 2013 at 10:41am   
cherileisey
There are no flea markets in our small town, but my mother and I used to spend our Saturdays going around to yard sales in a 10 mile radius. We would look for anything we could repurpose for the many craft shows that we did. Our crafts included victorian, county, and Christmas items. We did quilting, painting, work working, floral arrangements and so many other things. We loved the shows that would allow you to set up night before, because it would take at least 4 hours to set up if we were able to get the spaces we required. It took us several years to find the shows that were worthwhile in attending. It was a huge amount of work, but we enjoyed crafting and meeting the people that were purchasing our items. Antique items were incorporated in some of our crafts and they usually brought fond memories to those attending the shows. Its true what they say "one man's junk is another man's treasures".
October 20, 2013 at 12:48pm     
jboncaro
About 12 years ago at a local flea market I found a signed litho by Baron. I have no idea of its value but I love it. I don't buy art as an investment; I buy it because I want to look at it every day.
October 20, 2013 at 1:35pm     
displacednurse
I found a wonderful wooden Navy lantern in perfect shape! i bought it for $20 and It is one of my favorite things!
October 20, 2013 at 1:54pm   
jboncaro
P.S. The lovely Baron litho cost me a mere $4 !!
October 20, 2013 at 2:13pm   
Cindy Crane
I love old wooden chairs. I got an old Windsor chair recently for $20 and painted if after I got it home. I never feel bad about painting chairs if they already have had a few "make shift" repairs... it gives me a license to be creative and not feel like I'm ruining a relic.
October 20, 2013 at 2:14pm   
mykindofhouse
One year I decided to turn one of my rooms into a 'retro' timewarp. I spent every Saturday morning going from garage sale to fete to flea market to op shops. I had such an enjoyable time sourcing mid century furniture and decorative items, including prints, curtains, glass, ceramics, cushions and even a flokati rug. My favourite finds were a gorgeous Starburst clock and a 2.2 metre long teak sideboard. Oh, the thrill of the hunt and the giddiness of the find!! Not to mention the social aspect of such 'shopping' I love the idea of recycling and the fact that each piece had a history.
October 20, 2013 at 2:19pm     
industrialing
FUN! See what little beauties you can catch.
October 20, 2013 at 2:23pm     
silentmoon
I love to look for old rugs. I also like to find pieces of all kinds that I might use as part of an art piece I make.
October 20, 2013 at 3:11pm   
Debra Zuloaga @ Lowe's Home Improvement
The decor and craft opportunities with these "knickknacks" are endless. My creative juices are flowing already!!!
October 20, 2013 at 3:21pm     
mayelle
I don't go always go with something i mind. My best find was an old school table with a trestled base and steel frame that i used as a coffee table for years. It was the item of interest that people always asked about when they came into my home. Had to give it away when we moved to a smaller house, sad day.
October 20, 2013 at 3:30pm   
Comforts of Home
I am so over flea markets. I have so much stuff I could have my own. I need less stuff but that could be just cause I have been a collector for more than 30 years:)
October 20, 2013 at 4:29pm     
Lisa Bird
I love anything small or rusty. Antique Chinese bottles, old rusty keys, 'dogs' rusty railway nails.
October 20, 2013 at 4:34pm   
jonesie2
I am with happyasaclam,and purehome. Sometimes you may not being looking for a specific item and you are just browsing it finds you and it may need a little TLC or can be repurposed makes it just that much more interesting for me. Or if you are in the market for a specific item and desire a bargain Flea Markets and Garage Sales are the place to be.
October 20, 2013 at 4:41pm   
whitehousewoman
Old dishes, usually early 20's pottery style, nature pictures and old frames
October 20, 2013 at 5:13pm   
kathleendici
My 75 year + neighbor at the Jersey shore known as the "Krabman Klamman" spends countless hours cutting wire mesh and making custom crab traps for all those who love to catch their own Jersey blue claw crabs. Every weekend he hops in his pick up truck and sells these wonderful crab traps for a very reasonable price at local flea markets. Kudos to the " Krabman Klamman" for his creativity and for encouraging this outdoor sport suitable for all ages to try their hand at crabbing in our local waters.
October 20, 2013 at 5:58pm   
Mike Judie Lindley
Love seeing something old made into something fresh and new.
October 20, 2013 at 6:18pm   
almostjane
I like to look around at everything - but spend the most time among tabletop items, linens and books. Also, I love it when a vendor is chatty and enjoys talking about his/her items. Learned a lot about what's real, what's not, what's valuable etc.
October 20, 2013 at 7:51pm   
deborahjarman
Vintage serving dishes in fun colors. Costume jewelry with bright shiny cut beads that can adorn miniature holiday trees in guest room and bath for holiday visitors. Plus any other funky fun thing that has a great architectural shape or texture that is unique.
October 20, 2013 at 8:45pm   
irenesalas123
Trader Walts Santa Flea Market...incredible finds!
October 20, 2013 at 9:24pm   
judithahall
Seems like flea markets must be a regional thing. I live in Mid-Missouri and there's not a flea market around...anywhere! In central and northern Illinois flea markets, great flea markets abound! What's up with that?
October 20, 2013 at 9:38pm   
terriannek
Flea markets and antique fairs/markets are are great way to spend a sunny day. I especially like spring and fall because the weather makes it so comfortable to be outside. I would say the hunt and find is the best part. I appreciate so many older items that just look nice on a shelf or are in some way incorporated into my decor. Fave find: an antique wagon wheel. It sits near the fireplace but I have also displayed it on a peg rack with other antique tools, kitchen items, etc.
October 20, 2013 at 10:06pm   
ernestof
Cool old flower vases
October 20, 2013 at 11:28pm   
sunnie2day
Kitchenalia! We recently found a hand mixer (powered by elbow grease:) in incredible condition. Bakelite handles and stainless steel, no rust. That thing went through the washing up and straight into the drawer for use. Other finds include ceramic mixing bowls, early model electric toasters, and a wonderful kitchen scale in bright red plastic (not sure if that's Bakelite or not) and painted white tin, we use that for display.
October 21, 2013 at 12:48am   
livesmall
I have retired and trying to update my tired house on a tapwater budget. I am checking flea markets, thrift and consignment stores, craigslist, and freecycle for everything. My best finds so far have been a small round dining table found on craigslist for $85.00 and four dining chairs found on freecycle.
October 21, 2013 at 1:21am     
pattimoody
Quilts, gas cans and vintage picnic baskets. Love the way a collection of picnic baskets doubles as hidden storage for rarely used items!
October 21, 2013 at 2:39am   
Mark
I love to look for unique trinket boxes.
October 21, 2013 at 3:27am     
smugsy1122
I found this set of vintage tins that were the perfect shape to fill with herbs to decorate my front porch in spring
October 21, 2013 at 3:57am     
Brenda Farr_Hague
One purchase I have enjoyed over the years is the library table I cut down and use as a coffee table.
October 21, 2013 at 6:30am   
the sellable home, LLC
I love to go with an open mind because you never know what you will find! My favorite find were a pair of mid-century metal clam shell chairs.
October 21, 2013 at 8:02am   
Cynthia Celenza
I found two Egyptian paintings on papyrus framed. Got both for $18
October 21, 2013 at 8:50am   
quilalincoln
I found dozens of old sheet music booklets for one dollar each. Some are over a century old, others are from the heyday of ragtime. The artwork on the covers is beautiful, and friends often go through my stash to find ones to frame for their own homes.
October 21, 2013 at 9:26am     
quilalincoln
Also, I have plenty to share and I hate to see them go to waste so I'll be happy to share with anyone who thinks they are as neat as I do. These are some of the extras.
October 21, 2013 at 9:54am     
shbfleming
the food.lol our flea market has lots of different styles of food and the mexican food truck is authentic cuisine and delicious!!!!
October 21, 2013 at 11:26am   
mousemaker
jboncaro--those remind me of Caillebotte!!!
October 21, 2013 at 1:16pm   
Danielle Belanger with Ethan Allen
I love finding cheap unique furniture pieces and re-upholster and painting them! Adding fun hardware and a fun color makes all the difference
October 21, 2013 at 6:12pm     
paisita54
Anything Arts & Crafts style.
October 21, 2013 at 8:12pm   
MAS Un Limited - "Simply Dump It"
I am in to nostalgic decor and to add to my collection of angels. But I love looking at it all. I especially cannot pass an country estate or barn sale. Some of the best things are in the out of the way places.
October 22, 2013 at 9:24am   
Rocky Mountain Color & Design
I live in a small mountain community with no real flea markets anywhere close by. However, I do brake for trash, and have found some really cool pieces for free by the side of the road. I am often so excited to start a project that I forget to take "before" pics. This before pic is similar to the table i found and converted into a toy box.
October 22, 2013 at 9:40am     
displacednurse
I love to look for bling or old wedding type memorabilia for my wedding decorating business; also one of my best finds was for programs for vaudville shows at some famous old theaters which I will frame with the ability to remove easily to look through and then return to the frames With cotton gloves on,of course
October 22, 2013 at 12:47pm     
Ann Creek
Orange crate furniture for children.
October 22, 2013 at 1:11pm     
Kelly
We are always looking for that one unique item that will set our room off.
October 23, 2013 at 2:02am     
foreverfarm11
books - I love to find a good book!
October 23, 2013 at 5:08am     
jestack
Vintage table linens. I love having lots to choose from and new can be very expensive.
October 23, 2013 at 7:50am     
kbloghog
wrought iron fence pieces, old metal wheels, baskets.
October 23, 2013 at 9:27am     
burl57
Antique golf clubs, golf balls, and club headcovers
October 23, 2013 at 10:48am     
Studio M Interior Design
I love finding vintage outdoor furniture!
October 23, 2013 at 10:54am     
jennybeanie
Refinished furniture!
October 23, 2013 at 11:22am     
swtjuic1
I like to shop for furniture and refinish... It actually relaxes me. The first time I did it was with a small wooden accent table. It came out so ugly!!! Lol, I like to think that I have improved over the years.
October 23, 2013 at 11:31am   
sarj81
Art! I'm always searching for great originals. I haven't found any yet, but I'll keep looking.
October 23, 2013 at 1:11pm     
yvonnecmartin
I bought this needlepoint picture that hangs in my mudroom laundry to cheer me up. I appreciate the hours that someone spent making this and scorn whoever decided to donate it.
October 23, 2013 at 2:44pm     
likwan
I haven't been to a flea market before.
October 27, 2013 at 1:57am   
Anita Anzar
It's wonderful that anyone can take something old or used and make it there own. I love those turquoise chairs.
October 27, 2013 at 8:12am     
ilovemickey
Something vintage is always a good find if it's in good condition :)
October 28, 2013 at 4:36pm   
Jeannie Nguyen
CONGRATULATIONS to @irenesalas123 for winning her very own pair of Houzz slippers! If you missed out on this poll, don't worry, you still have a chance to get your comments into our Kitchen Tile poll! http://www.houzz.com/discussions/702504/Comment-for-a-chance-to-win--POLL--Favorite
October 31, 2013 at 10:19am   
Mark Bischak, Architect
Rookwood pottery.
April 3, 2014 at 4:35pm   
Need help on whether to move front door or not!
HI, We are currently trying to design a remodel of...
New exterior paint and trim colors
Hello! I just bought this house and would like to update...
Solar Heaters
Anyone have first hand experience with solar heating?...
i need guidance on what should be placed on top of the kitchen island.
The kitchen island has a marble top, right know i have...