Need help for 1950's kitchen!
lizamclean1
We're not doing any structural renovation; need help on flooring selection. Thinking we're going to leave the kitchen cabinets; they have bronze/gold pulls. Ordered a great 1950s light to replace the florescent light in there now. Appliance, stainless steel?

- Flooring Selection
- What to do with the walls
- Appliance - White, Black or stainless steel
- Paint cabinets?
apple_pie_order
Looks spacious, nice floor plan. What's the distance between countertop and upper cabinets? What's the interesting structure over the cabinets?

On flooring, visit a good flooring shop to see the options. Take a drawer with you if you are keeping the cabinets. They look like good quality birch. You can borrow samples overnight with a small deposit. Get the new lighting in before you make a decision on flooring.
1 Like   Thanked by lizamclean1    October 18, 2013 at 12:43PM
lizamclean1
Thank you for your comment!

It's storage with sliding cabinets, covered in a brown fabric. :) I'd guess 16inches between counterop & upper cabinets. What do you think about wall color? Would you pain the cabinets?
0 Likes   October 18, 2013 at 12:47PM
apple_pie_order
I would probably not paint the cabinets, but I would also want to take a close look at a drawer or two outside in broad daylight because the fluorescent lighting makes photos look quite unrealistic in color. Scotts Liquid Gold is excellent for cleaning and rubbing down old cabinets. I've had professionally painted cabinets: the paint finish get dinged and scratched, so you do have to do touch-ups every few months or so. Natural wood finishes are much easier to live with.

Perhaps the fabric covered sliding cabinet doors could be recovered in a new printed fabric. The paint color could be taken from the new fabric. It'd be easy to tack up some fabric samples or even gift wrap to see what scale print looks good up there.
0 Likes   Thanked by lizamclean1    October 18, 2013 at 12:59PM
hazeldazel
what a fabulous retro kitchen! If you're keeping the retro style, I would suggest white appliances and an upscale linoleum flooring (marmoleum?). Then just paint in a light cheery color of your choice.
1 Like   Thanked by lizamclean1    October 18, 2013 at 1:06PM
victorianbungalowranch
I highly recommend the websites Retro Renovation and Atomic Ranch to help you figure out what to do with your kitchen. The cabinets look great and I would leave them. Retro Planet has a lot of d├ęcor items, although most of them are on the diner/kitchy side.

I am having a hard time envisioning what fabric=covered cabinets look like. Can you just take the fabric off?
3 Likes   Thanked by lizamclean1    October 18, 2013 at 4:06PM
Creative Innovations & Designs Inc
If you dont want to paint the cabinets, simply changing the hardware can have a dramatic impact on the complete look.
1 Like   Thanked by lizamclean1    October 18, 2013 at 5:09PM
lizamclean1
White or Stainless Steel appliance?! Need help on this as our fridge needs replacement
0 Likes   February 17, 2014 at 8:30AM
Meghan
Ok check out this awesome blog I found on Pinterest! http://www.beautifulmatters.com/2013/02/diy-inexpensive-cabinet-updates/ you can really bring life to your cabinets with a little trim work :)
1 Like   February 17, 2014 at 8:52AM
Denise Chapman
Hey, you must see what I did to our ancient kitchen~! It turned out awesome... I still have to paint the backsplash white and the trim on the window to match cabinets... new fridge coming... but the white appliances and white backsplash will make it clean and bright.. new countertops coming, too... but a cheap reno that turned out great. We also had those half wood walls and painted them white and that just makes a huge difference. Paint will transform your place.
0 Likes   February 17, 2014 at 8:59AM
andymeg
I have a 1948 kitchen with very similar maple cabinets. I just had them refinished and changed the hardware. I also removed my upper sliding doors and left that space open for decorative items, since they're too high to be very useful and I have plenty of other storage, as it appears you do, too. I also kept my scallopy board over the sink. Maybe remove the short backsplash and put in a tile one?
2 Likes   February 17, 2014 at 9:29AM
Allison Ruggles
I was thinking hard wood floors or something that look like hard wood. It will warm up the kitchen with painted cabinets. I. Think stainless Steele would look good.
1 Like   February 17, 2014 at 9:49AM
apple_pie_order
Any photos of your new light fixture?
1 Like   February 17, 2014 at 10:23AM
krissyser
My kitchen had some similar features before I did a small cosmetic Reno. I found painting the bulkhead area above the cabinets the same colour as the wall made a huge difference. Also removing the wavey trim detail above the sink goes along way.
1 Like   February 17, 2014 at 10:28AM
krissyser
Also remove the bulky under cabinet appliances.
0 Likes   February 17, 2014 at 10:34AM
quercus2
What is your goal with this project? Do you want to keep with 1950s mid-century style or do you want to change to another style, and if so, what? Can you post a picture of the 1950s ceiling light you ordered?
0 Likes   February 17, 2014 at 10:46AM
brickln
Keep the wavy trim! I vote form linoleum or cork on the floor, and a pop color on the counters.
1 Like   February 17, 2014 at 4:16PM
wendyfraser
Try marmoleum click flooring, painting the cupboards, new hardware and if the bulkhead is empty how bout glass fronted cupboards with up lighting.
0 Likes   February 17, 2014 at 4:30PM
des1gnchick
If you are headed in the retro direction the checkered floor suggested above is great. Sees smeg or Elmira fridges for possibilities. Also updating hardware on cabinets, adding some glass panels to upper cabinets and a built in banquette on the wall opposite the window would change the look. Add a seat cushion and pillows to match the color you choose for walls - maybe a subtle green or blue? Remove fabric above upper cabinets & paint same color as walls. I prefer stainless appliances but just personal preference
0 Likes   February 17, 2014 at 4:59PM
des1gnchick
1 Like   February 17, 2014 at 5:00PM
Need help with 1950's kitchen....
I just bought this house, and I'm trying to give my...
Susan Hebert
Pink bathroom and kitchen in a 1950's home. Need help!
Pink bathroom and pink kitchen but the structure is...
Sharon Alexander
1949 kitchen has a 1950's Wedgewood stove needs help with counter colo
I am buying a Big Chill refrigerator (in white because...
Carolyn Singleton
jm04
need suggestions for 1950s kitchen split level house - pass-through
Any suggestions are welcome. We haven't hired a contractor/company...
mitchell fox
Need help with decor of this family room!
We are changing the floor to a darker wood. Any ideas...
paawani
Painting an IKEA vanity
I'm putting an IKEA Godsmorgan vanity into my kid's...
mamabossinthelbc
Take 2... Another attempt to complete my living room & Bedroom
12 Months in and I still haven't embraced my red sofa....
indycoolchick
Hate my new granite!!! This whole process has been a nightmare :(
I'm really trying not to get so worked up about this,...
mhaber22
Sectional
Can someone help me interpret this drawing? It was...
heatherjillh