Living Area: Need help with texture and layering
kellis1977
I am working on my living area and need help layering texture, artwork, etc. The actual couch, drapes, and paint stay. Otherwise, I'm pretty open. Fireplace will be updated with neutral taupe/cream/gray stone soon (I believe). Please help...I'm pretty stumped and I've just started.
Sharon
You're off to a great start! You will get lots of help from the very creative folk on this site. I think you could use a bookshelf or console table in the corner behind your lounge. A pop of colour could really brighten things up. Silvery blue/grey perhaps? A floor rug, a plant and some little personal items too. Some books, a lamp, photos & art work.
0 Likes   Thanked by kellis1977    October 18, 2013 at 5:25PM
kellis1977
Thank you, Sharon. I'm not a big bookshelf person, but I was definitely thinking a console table of some sort. Would I put art or lamps on that? Reason asking because I have that large wall over the couch for which I need a piece. Wasn't sure if that would be too many pieces on each wall?
0 Likes   October 18, 2013 at 5:30PM
Scott Design, Inc.
Is the door next to the windows your front entry?
0 Likes   October 18, 2013 at 7:06PM
kellis1977
No it isn't. I actually goes out to the garage.
0 Likes   October 18, 2013 at 7:22PM
karemore55
Hi Kellis, As suggested above, all you need in your space is a little more texture and color which is easy to add with a rug, sofa pillows, artwork and accessories. Also, I do not see lamps or coffee tables in your space, so these too will get your LR feeling a little cozier.

I did some collages for you - just ideas for combining colors, different rug suggestions and ideas for the areas on each side of your FP. You could do consoles, or you could go with something vertical. You said you don't like bookcases, however, I found some uprights that are more ornamental - the Spotlight shelves from Crate and Barrel. In first pic, I used their credenza-type cabinet, and in the other three I used the vertical model. You don't need to put a lot of stuff on the open shelving - just a few dishes or vases which could be mostly white with just a hit of color here and there. The vases and accessories I used are all C&B. For some reason, I keep coming back to various shades of green and blue as great colors to work with your browns, but there are lots of other combos.

I'm thinking that if you do low credenzas, you could do a vertical piece of art over each one. In pic one, I found some butterfly pics that appealed to me. If you do low credenzas here, you could consider doing a wall decal on that large wall behind the sectional. I found a tree decal that would look quite awesome, so I stuck that into the first collage also.

If you went with vertical pieces beside the FP, you could then do a pic arrangement in the back wall. In pic two, I used some inexpensive but beautiful art by Angelina Vick. In pic three, I used one large piece - an octopus. And in pic four, I found a series of feather prints. Of course, there are many ways you can go and you will want choices that have meaning for you. Just wanted to show you how much more lively your room will be once you carry on with the decorating. Btw, the side tables in pic one are a set of two nesting tables. These might be more versatile in your space since you can place them where you need to when entertaining, then tuck them to one side when you don't need them.

Hope you find some inspiration here!
4 Likes   Thanked by kellis1977    October 18, 2013 at 7:53PM
kellis1977
Thank you so much, Karemore55! Looks like the consensus is that I need to add a touch of color. I tend to pick neutrals and masculine colors, but I don't mind punching it up just a notch. I do like the shades of blue that you have chosen to go with my grays. Great idea about the nesting tables....I do need the extra space and do not want to create a cluttered environment.
2 Likes   October 18, 2013 at 8:19PM
Scott Design, Inc.
I like your paint selection and accessories. It appears to me that you are allocating more floor space to walkways than social area and access to seating is still confining. Will your sectional fit in front of the window wall? Turning your sectional will open up your space, provide fluid access to seating as well as increase seating opportunities and space for end tables, intimate lighting with table or floor lamps, large ottoman etc. . It will be a trade off for direct access to the garage rather than in and around the seating area...typical narrow room dilemma.
0 Likes   Thanked by kellis1977    October 18, 2013 at 8:26PM
kellis1977
Unfortunately, the sectional will not fit under the window because of the dimensions. The only other option was to push it against this wall like this.
0 Likes   October 18, 2013 at 8:35PM
kellis1977
The room is a little narrower than I would have liked....so I am trying to work around that issue. :-(
0 Likes   October 18, 2013 at 8:38PM
karemore55
Kellis, I'm curious to know how much space you have on the right side of your FP - between FP and curtains. Just wondering if doing something vertical is feasible.
0 Likes   October 18, 2013 at 9:09PM
kellis1977
It is 4 feet wide by 2 feet deep
0 Likes   October 18, 2013 at 9:20PM
Beautiful floor, beautiful room. I would stay pretty monochromatic. Do a gallery wall in black and white or sepia tones behind the sofa, and one huge piece of art on the end wall, with throw and pillow colors taken from the canvas.
3 Likes   Thanked by kellis1977    October 18, 2013 at 9:21PM
karemore55
Kellis, I think you could do either vertical or horizontal pieces beside your FP. The C&B Spotlight vertical shelves, for example, are only 28" wide which would look fine. Not saying you should get them, but there are pieces out there that will fit. You definitely need something solid on each side of your FP.

If you start by getting an area rug, both the style and colors of the rug will help you with all your other choices for your room. If and when you get the rug, please post it and we can work with you on other choices, if you want.
0 Likes   Thanked by kellis1977    October 18, 2013 at 9:30PM
Scott Design, Inc.
By placing the sectional closer to the wall (within 6-12" ), you have opened up your space rather than emphasizing its narrowness. You now have greater flexibility for furniture placement, lighting and floor covering to create more of an integrated space yet allowing for intimate seating areas as well. Suggest you place a console table behind your end sectional to dress up an otherwise plain view. You may also find your TV viewing to be less demanding on your neck.
2 Likes   Thanked by kellis1977    October 18, 2013 at 9:30PM
kellis1977
Groveraxle, I really like the idea of the gallery wall and was hoping someone else thought the same. You can probably already tell from the photo that I lean towards a monochromatic look, however, I also like your simple pops of color. I was wondering....does anyone think I need or could place additional "separate" seating in this room? Groveraxle, do you think I would benefit from a credenza table on the far wall OR on either or both sides of the fireplace? I appreciate each of your ideas, so far.
0 Likes   October 18, 2013 at 9:33PM
kellis1977
Scott Design, please look at the latter two pics that Grover posted. The first one is a view from the foyer. The second is a view from the garage door. That being said, are you still suggesting the console table behind the couch?
0 Likes   October 18, 2013 at 9:38PM
kellis1977
Karemore, I struck out on my last "rug" trip. I definitely need to make another run. Was wondering whether to stay neutral with it or not.....
0 Likes   October 18, 2013 at 9:40PM
Stay in the tone on tone look going.area. Rug 8 x10. You go a leather shag in shades of browns. Or a graphic design. In same tones, use more cream. A long sofa table on long wall. With very big contemporary oil art. Put some big bamboo in white pot and put in that corner. Add cream and dark brown pots on entry table, various heights. On end only. Some kind of metal item on coffee table. Go a unique glass with dark wood. 36" . Can we see more pics.
0 Likes   Thanked by kellis1977    October 18, 2013 at 10:26PM
mveasey
How about a plant or two?
0 Likes   October 18, 2013 at 10:30PM
karemore55
Kellis, Most of the rugs I posted had colors that dictated a certain color scheme, but that was mainly to throw together some possibilities for where you could go - bright teal, soft blues and greens, etc. However, I personally to stay very neutral with my furniture, curtains and rug so that I can change up my look, both seasonally and when I want a new look, just by changing out the sofa pillows and some of the accessories. It's a good way to go, especially if you prefer neutrals anyway.

Also, I love rugs with beautiful patterns and color ways, but they're what I call bossy rugs - they really limit how you can decorate the rest of your space. You're always referencing back to how things will work with the rug - very annoying at times. So, stay neutral with your rug and you will have lots of flexibility with your art and accessories.

PS - you need lots of comfy sofa pillows. I buy at Pottery Barn, but there's a great online store - tonicliving.com, that carries fabulous, on-trend pillow covers and inserts. But, rather than buy their solid foam inserts, you can go to Ikea and buy their lovely down inserts (Ikea only carries the 20" size however). This way, you get pillows that are cheap AND comfy!
0 Likes   October 18, 2013 at 10:31PM
kellis1977
Travis, you want more "current" pictures?
0 Likes   October 18, 2013 at 10:34PM
No these are good. Put big art 6x6 oil on wall going In to hall. With that long table. Even a long chest type would work. Right behind sofa is too narrow, for table but needs 2 36" pic on that wall. Over cab next to fireplace a big sunburst mirror 36" you could also ck out the cow hide rugs at Ikea. Angled I front of firepl with, the glass coffee. Good job on what you done. Looks very nice.add those white fluffy lamb, just a couple mixed,with cow hide, and solid cream pillows.
0 Likes   Thanked by kellis1977    October 18, 2013 at 10:42PM
kellis1977
These are great ideas, Travis. These are the options for the cowhide rugs at IKEA....thoughts? http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/living_room/20544/
I will hunt for the long table and pictures this weekend.
1 Like   October 18, 2013 at 10:57PM
kellis, I don't know if this will answer all the questions you had, but here are my thoughts. Your sectional really is too large for the room. There are pros and cons both to floating it and to putting it against the wall. I never like to have a traffic pattern crossing an activity area, so I think floating it is the better choice.

I like the simplicity of your fireplace. I wouldn't add shelves, though you might try a little rearranging--perhaps the console on the left under the painting and the vase on the right--and see if you like it better. But I think you have just the right amount of "stuff" now. Don't clutter it up.

I have a few other ideas. Let me do a couple more renderings. I'll be back.
2 Likes   October 19, 2013 at 10:14AM
BTW, your floor is totally gorgeous, and there is no rule saying you must have a rug, so I think I'd leave it be.
0 Likes   October 19, 2013 at 10:16AM
I don't know if this is even a possibility--depends on the size of your sectional and how it lines up with the fireplace--but if you moved it down a few feet, away from the windows, and put the TV on an articulating mount to the left of the fireplace with the console underneath, the short arm of the sectional might feel like more a part of "the action." You might even get a chair or two in front of the windows.
0 Likes   Thanked by kellis1977    October 19, 2013 at 10:56AM
You have the perfect room to showcase some fabulous art. If you haven't started collecting already, maybe now is the time to start.

I stuck a plant in the far corner of the room above for a bit more life.
1 Like   Thanked by kellis1977    October 19, 2013 at 11:04AM
anne dee
This inspirational pic may help with color and pic placement over the sofa(not necessarily family pics) plus the additional of some color while maintaining the neutral look you want to achieve

2 Likes   Thanked by kellis1977    October 19, 2013 at 11:06AM
Sustainable Dwellings
Pretty space. You definitely need lots of color and texture in pillows and throws to warm it up.
0 Likes   Thanked by kellis1977    October 19, 2013 at 11:07AM
karemore55
Nice renderings, groveraxle. Another situation where I'm wishing I had thought of that!
0 Likes   Thanked by kellis1977    October 19, 2013 at 11:35AM
Scott Design, Inc.
I’m glad that groveraxle addressed the location of the TV. Consider a floor folding screen in front of the corner window and then place your TV on the console in front of it. The corner is now functional space for a not-so-decorative element and the view from the outside is pleasant. Now you can take a creative approach to your mantle and other walls.
Groveraxle seems to have this well in hand.

Here is an interesting sofa table. Something like this can still be positioned behind the part of your sectional viewed from the foyer.

0 Likes   Thanked by kellis1977    October 19, 2013 at 11:52AM
Cow hide in the brown and white is best. Very different and fun.I like to mix things up. Think out of the box. That's what make a great room. Use glass for coffee, also go different. Or go bronze martini tables from West Elm,always fun in a small space. Ck West Elm for console cabinets maybe a mid century look.
1 Like   Thanked by kellis1977    October 19, 2013 at 2:13PM
Good job on panels. Going floor to ceiling always good.
0 Likes   Thanked by kellis1977    October 19, 2013 at 2:14PM
kellis1977
Everyone...thank you so much for the suggestions. It really gave me life! Scott Design, I love the idea for the sofa table. See my concerns below (dimensions). Travis, I am definitely going to use glass for a coffee table. Rug, it will definitely be some sort of cowhide. Now the big issue: TV placement. I have attached the dimensions of the room. You will see that there is a walk way leading the kitchen entry to the hallway entry that I am afraid to block? The couch dimensions are 125" w x 96" d x 34" h ( a bit tight). What do you all think? Pulling the couch back may block that walking area?
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 8:47AM
kellis1977
125 inches of couch are along wall opposite the fireplace
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 8:48AM
kellis1977
I'm a tad confused...where would the panels go?
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 8:48AM
Panels on your windows (drapes). Yrs are good.
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 9:57AM
kellis1977
I'm sorry, I mean the screen.
Also, someone referenced it being near a window with the TV (on the right). There is not enough space for it there (the TV).
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 10:12AM
Don't push sofa back fine where it is. Can TV go over firepl?
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 10:23AM
sunnydrew
Have you tried your sectional on an angle, but still in front of the fireplace? No matter where you put it, it will block something, buy angling it may make the flow better.
1 Like   October 20, 2013 at 10:24AM
kellis1977
TV is currently over fireplace. Recommendations/Preferences above were to relocate it to the left of the fireplace (see above) or possibly to the right. Based on dimensions, I cannot place it to the right. I'm on the fence about whether it can be placed on the left either...
Figured I would post room dimensions (above) to see if that would help make a determination.
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 10:26AM
sunnydrew
have you tried the sectional in the same place as original photo, but mirror image so it backs up to 3 windows and you can still walk behind it . the end would be next to fireplace.
1 Like   October 20, 2013 at 10:26AM
Why do you want to change it? Can you see it if moved to right of firepl. Which would be ideal.
1 Like   October 20, 2013 at 10:27AM
kellis1977
Yes, I tried that Ikdrew. It is too long and would block the entry doorway.
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 10:28AM
kellis1977
Not saying that I want to change it. It was an option mentioned. I was wondering if it could work.
1 Like   October 20, 2013 at 10:32AM
kellis1977
I could possibly see if is on the left...but I would definitely need a larger TV and some sort of swivel capability. Won't see as well as if its on the fireplace though....
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 10:35AM
Scott Design, Inc.
kellis1977 please confirm these dimensions including the overall width and length of your room. All window and door dimensions are for the opening (does not include trim/casing). You're correct, once all of us can see the actual room dimensions, we can be more helpful.
1 Like   Thanked by kellis1977    October 20, 2013 at 10:53AM
kellis1977
You are almost on the money. There is an additional 1.4 inches in front the fireplace that is what I would call a "brick footing/step up".
1 Like   October 20, 2013 at 11:05AM
kellis1977
I'm sorry, 1 foot 4 inches
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 11:05AM
karemore55
Kellis, looking at Scott Design's drawing, it does look like you could slide your sectional over and have the short side lined up with the right side of your kitchen doorway. You shouldn't need to angle the TV this way either, as far as I can tell. If the longest part of your sectional is just over 10' it looks like the long side would end at the right edge of the FP. Which would give you room for two side chairs, as mentioned previously.
1 Like   Thanked by kellis1977    October 20, 2013 at 11:32AM
karemore55
Not sure if there would be room for a console behind the short side with this arrangement - although if it's only a 4' wide table, you might still have clearance to kitchen doorway.
1 Like   Thanked by kellis1977    October 20, 2013 at 11:34AM
kellis1977
The console table would definitely need to be long and narrow. I would need to angle the TV a bit. If you look at the example picture above (with the tv console), it would be a little difficult for the person on the very edge of the couch to see well. Here is the view when I sit there now. Couch view:
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 11:48AM
I've done a plan of your room and believe the sectional looks best aligned the way you have it. You may be able to move it closer to the wall opposite the fireplace--you really only need 3 feet--but I would align the other leg with the kitchen entry.

I have moved the TV to the left of the fireplace and added a chair to the right for balance. I've also done two mockups with a low bookcase and reading chair in the corner behind the couch. One has a brown cowhide, the other a lighter rug from West Elm.

I show the TV on a console, but I think you'd have to mount it on an articulating arm if you do put it here.
1 Like   Thanked by kellis1977    October 20, 2013 at 12:00PM
Scott Design, Inc.
OK. Here's the approved-dimensioned floor plan with a 10'5" x 8' sectional. I have shown clearances when floating and closer to the wall. The clearance when entering from the garage is tight when the sectional is against the wall but access to the seating area from the living quarters is convenient, TV viewing seems to work whether on a table or over the mantle and the fireplace is appreciated by all who are in the seating area. In either case this is not optimum floor area for this sectional.
0 Likes   Thanked by kellis1977    October 20, 2013 at 12:40PM
karemore55
Clearly, the second pic in Scott Designs rendering won't work since it's blocking the doorway to the garage! I think this is coming down to the fact that Kellis wants some extra seating, so shifting that sectional over just a tad, as in groveraxle's rendering, allows room for this. But, yes, you would then need an articulating arm for the TV. It depends on how badly you would like the extra seating!
0 Likes   Thanked by kellis1977    October 20, 2013 at 12:44PM
Scott Design, Inc.
karemore55...Yes, as I mentioned, the entry from the garage is not optimal but it is not blocked. There is anywhere from 3' to 3 1/2' for floor space to enter and turn. And since the sofa is only 34" in height at the back and probably 24" at the arm, you do not get a hall effect so there is enough "elbow room" when carrying packages.
2 Likes   Thanked by kellis1977    October 20, 2013 at 1:15PM
kellis1977
Thank you to ALL of you. Scott Design, I won't go into detail about how this specific size couch came to be in this room, but I am forced to work with it in this space. I appreciate that you offered the same two options that I continually came up with.....with the first one being the lesser of two evils (in my book). Grover, your additional seating options and console ideas really assist me as I shop for accent pieces. While I'm still on the fence regarding the TV and whether I can see from there (since I lie on that edge of the couch), everything else seems a go for me. I need to decide whether those 2 chairs will be different or the same. Should it matter? Didn't want to seem matchy-matchy at all. What about this chair in that corner by bookshelf/console? Do you all think I need something a bit more modern?
2 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 1:16PM
OK GROUP
We are the biggest handmade carpet and rug manufacturer

www.galleryottomanart.com
www.heirloomturkey.com
www.turkmencarpet.net

Regards
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 1:21PM
karemore55
@Scott Design, Oh I get it - your plan is that they would come in the door and go in front of the sectional to get to the kitchen or wherever. Yes, not optimal, plus I thought the first drawing where the sectional is closer to the FP had a cozier look.
1 Like   Thanked by kellis1977    October 20, 2013 at 1:21PM
karemore55
Kellis, I'm trying really hard to not comment anymore lol because you have the pros in here now with drawings etc. but thought I'd say that I don't mind that chair for height if you will just have one chair in corner, but if you want to squeeze in two chairs side by side, I feel,they should match and have lower backs otherwise it will start to feel crowded in there. Also, make sure they have arms as it's just more comfy for visitors to lean back and relax. The other thing about the chair you posted is that as I said, the height and dimensions are good, but it's looking a bit formal. Although you could relax it easily with your choice of lumbar pillow.
2 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 1:26PM
OK GROUP

www.galleryottomanart.com
www.heirloomturkey.com
www.turkmencarpet.net
Regards
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 1:34PM
kellis1977
Karemore, please don't feel intimated by that. Remember, we are all here to offer suggestions and I appreciate everyone's opinion! I promise I don't mind because I came here seeking assistance. :-)
You may be right about the chair being a bit too formal. After looking at Grover's option (see his pic above), I'm leaning towards only using one chair on that open wall instead of two.
1 Like   October 20, 2013 at 1:34PM
kellis, have a look at West Elm's chairs. These just happen to be some I've saved from work on other people's rooms. (It's accidental that they all happen to be brown.)
1 Like   October 20, 2013 at 1:58PM
I agree with karemore that arms are a must. And you could throw a little color in the mix.
1 Like   October 20, 2013 at 2:01PM
kellis1977
I like those chair options!
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 2:23PM
kellis1977
My last main piece I guess would be a console/credenza table for that far wall (where the chair will be).
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 2:24PM
karemore55
I have to say that I just love that last chair that groveraxle posted - the orange/reddish one. When I realized you were going to go for a cowhide rug, I kind of groaned because I wondered where your hit of color would come from. Then I thought well OK, there's still art and pillows. And then when I saw that chair, I suddenly felt OK about the cowhide rug lol. Full disclosure: I love color - not necessarily bright, but my world must include color!
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 3:17PM
kellis1977
Ha! I know that a well balanced room should incorporate some color...but I am sure it will only be a hint because I prefer a more soothing palette. It will be interesting to see if I can pull it off (color) without regretting it a week later. :-)
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 3:39PM
kellis, please don't forget about the art. You MUST have art. It's what gives the room soul. Art before chairs, I say.
2 Likes   Thanked by kellis1977    October 20, 2013 at 3:46PM
karemore55
Good point, groveraxle. How many rooms do we see without a single piece of art on the walls? Or one tiny family portrait floating up high on an 8 foot wide wall lol? OK, you can get the pops of color (and soul) with the art AND pillows - please don't forget the pillows! And go neutral on the chair/chairs.
1 Like   October 20, 2013 at 3:54PM
kellis1977
Being that I cannot afford expensive pieces of art....where can I start?
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 8:01PM
karemore55
Kellis, Try art.com and fineartamerica.com.
1 Like   Thanked by kellis1977    October 20, 2013 at 8:14PM
For the gallery wall, I would go to Ikea and buy 8 of these 20 x 20" frames for $18/ea. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80243542/

Then I would go to art.com and look for black and white or sepia prints to put in them. Or I'd find a fine art calendar I loved and frame the pages.

All the canvas art I found for your space I got here: http://www.greatbigcanvas.com/

As an example, the abstract in brown and yellow on the back wall in 23 x 30" is $150.
1 Like   Thanked by kellis1977    October 20, 2013 at 10:08PM
kellis1977
II will take a peek today and see what catches my eye. Feeling more inspired again. You guys are great! Thank you so much!
0 Likes   October 21, 2013 at 4:19AM
karemore55
You're on your way, Kellis!
1 Like   October 21, 2013 at 10:17AM
Gina Perillo
Kellis, if wanting to purchase original art please take a look at my Etsy shop - I have original abstract paintings and I take custom orders. I am very happy to work with customers on pricing if it means they can have an original piece of artwork vs buying commercial/prints.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GPerillo?ref=si_shop

Thanks !
0 Likes   October 21, 2013 at 6:59PM
kellis1977
Wow...selecting art is much more difficult than I thought. These websites have many pretty choices. Most of them are very bold. I'm concerned because while I don't mind some color, I'm looking to keep the space sophisticated without too many colors jumping at me? Didn't want yellow or reds taking over either. Thoughts?
0 Likes   October 22, 2013 at 5:39AM
I've pretty much expressed what I would do in the images I've posted and most of them are pretty bold. Ultimately the art needs to be something you love, so take your time.

Why don't you start with the gallery wall behind the sofa? Go here- http://www.art.com/gallery/id--c23951-e207247-g207263/black-and-white-photography-prints.htm?ui=5F94744B598544EFAF9413C331BD607C - and see if you can find four or eight prints you like that will fit in Ikea frames. You might aim for a theme: music, nature, humorous.

Black and white photos can go anywhere and when grouped, make a cohesive and impressive display.

I'll be back with another suggestion for the end wall (as soon as I find it).
0 Likes   October 22, 2013 at 12:27PM
karemore55
Kellis, At this point you're quite neutral. Everything brown - and I assume you are still going for a cowhide rug, or did that change? If you have a couple of accent colors in mind, this will help narrow down your art selections. Art doesn't have to be bold. It can be soft and subtle. Or, it can be bold but still be quite neutral. I'm still not sure if I have a handle on where you lean with your tastes - other than you mentioned masculine!
0 Likes   Thanked by kellis1977    October 22, 2013 at 12:31PM
karemore55
More ideas.
0 Likes   Thanked by kellis1977    October 22, 2013 at 12:32PM
kellis1977
Thank you all. I like abstract pieces that are not nature or flowers or animals.
1 Like   October 22, 2013 at 12:41PM
karemore55
Ohh..... OK well these will probably be too bold for you , but they're from fineartofamerica.com. I see your dilemma though - most abstract art is also quite bold. I think it is a matter of searching and searching until you find something that speaks to you. You could just start with one piece for now to establish your color direction, then add on as you can afford it. Chances are whichever piece you find will be by an artist whose other work you will love, so it wouldn't be difficult to add on as you see fit. Good luck, Kellis!
0 Likes   October 22, 2013 at 1:14PM
Framed and canvas art are not the only things you can hang. This is where decor gets really fun for me. Keep your eyes peeled at flea markets and art fairs and when you travel for interesting pieces that might have a place in your home.

I have hung an African mud cloth and a Balinese carving on your end wall here. You can hang weavings, rugs, kimono, doors, masks, anything that floats your boat.
0 Likes   October 22, 2013 at 1:31PM
Two more from greatbigcanvas.com. When I find a painting I like, I go look at the rest of that artist's stuff. Sometimes there will be two or three that appeal to me. Still, I would advise you to wait till a piece really moves you. When it does, it won't even matter what colors it is; you'll decorate around it so the art is the star.
0 Likes   Thanked by kellis1977    October 22, 2013 at 1:44PM
kellis1977
You two are right. I figured once i saw something I liked, I could get another piece from the same person. I thought I was ready for a little bold...but noticed that over the past year my "bold" has migrated to a closet. (smile).
I started pulling articles of clothing and samples with various colors to see what jumps out at me.
0 Likes   October 22, 2013 at 2:34PM
sunnydrew
Does that couch come apart in any way that would give you other options. I am just curious. It is so BIG!!!!
1 Like   October 22, 2013 at 2:41PM
kellis1977
It DOES come apart...but it has metal hooks in between them. Luckily, it is a fairly slim couch and I believe I can work around it. Laugh!
0 Likes   October 22, 2013 at 2:54PM
kellis1977
I finally got some vacation time and started back on this room. I finally found art that I like (subtle color)...but I am uncertain of its size. Is there anything I can do to make it work? It looks worse on the picture than it does in person. Thoughts?
0 Likes   December 28, 2013 at 6:12AM
kellis1977
More
0 Likes   December 28, 2013 at 6:13AM
You could use a bit more color, and you've got it on the wrong wall. The scale is wrong for the big wall. Two options:
2 Likes   December 28, 2013 at 8:44AM
kellis1977
Thanks, Grover. I was waiting on your thoughts. So...I still like the picture, but do you think it could fit on the far wall? The ceiling is a tad lower on that side bc of a venting system.
0 Likes   December 28, 2013 at 9:38AM
I absolutely think it will fit on that wall. Hang it a tad lower if need be. People always hang their art too high anyway (though you did a good job on this piece over the sofa).
0 Likes   December 28, 2013 at 12:24PM
kellis1977
What do you all think now? Way more color than I envisioned for myself. Didn't find frames I liked when I went out today and will need to order them if I buy those instead (Grover). I'm not sold on the pillows though.
0 Likes   December 28, 2013 at 2:15PM
kellis1977
New photo
0 Likes   December 28, 2013 at 2:16PM
I would prefer two different pieces of art that relate to each other.
0 Likes   December 28, 2013 at 4:21PM
kellis1977
Me too....I may have to break down and get a designer because I've been shopping for pictures for months and I haven't been successful finding a picture in my budget without too much color for my taste. Feeling a bit discouraged....
0 Likes   December 28, 2013 at 4:46PM
kellis1977
So...if I keep pictures that size above the couch, what would be an option for the remainder of the room? Especially this empty wall? A long table with lamps?
0 Likes   December 28, 2013 at 10:24PM
cluedin
That door to the garage effectively ruins the proportions of this room. If it were mine i'd extend the curtains and cover it ( and go outside to access the garage). Alternatively ( and far more costly) maybe you could re-route garage traffic via the outdoor covered seating area that is visible through the windows by installing french doors and moving the garage door to the outside wall.
0 Likes   October 12, 2014 at 9:06AM
rcarterworld
Re-routing could be pretty expensive.
0 Likes   October 27, 2014 at 7:28PM
kellis1977
I actually took a long break from this room and am just now revisiting. Would like to start with art...if I can any.
0 Likes   October 27, 2014 at 7:32PM
Manhattan Home Design
Hi there, I can see that you are struggling to think what to put in this room and thought I might offer a little idea into the mix. Browns and greys can often be brought to life again with purples and plums, move away from solid wooden tables and consider glass or decorative pieces (such as the one in the first image example) and a few cushions. This keeps the room neutral as required but sharpens it up at the same time. (Here is some art I also thought would work: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/173586403/ ) Looking forward to seeing where you go from here :) Good Luck.
1 Like   October 28, 2014 at 4:10AM
kellis1977
Plums are not so bad. I don't like color very much so I thought I could pull the entire room with cream, beige, tans, golds, and browns only?
0 Likes   October 29, 2014 at 1:51PM
Need help with living room layout and layering in color
I need help arranging my furniture. My living room...
colleenjacobsen
need help for dividing living area and dining area...!
In my home both dining area and living area are on...
Goutham Mohan
Need help for open plan living space with 2 living areas and 2 tv's
My wife and I are currently designing a new house approx....
aaronalecia
need help with my living area,plz help .
I have small rectangular living area with candy pink...
भावना पाण्डेय
Need help with guest room that needs to sleep four
One wall is all window, while the wall opposite is...
vcjou007
how to repair cracked travertine on kitchen floor
Hairline cracks in travertine..on slab...can they be...
nbisland
Finalizing the master bedroom design... :)
Here's another good example of our interior design...
VANGUARD development
What kind of bathroom mirrors should I buy?
We will have contemporary Jacobson espresso cabinets,...
marymurf25
Grey or grey or grey?
Hi everyone, would love some advice on what you think...
sambs8