Uneven kitchen ceiling
rgreen79
We have recently had a kitchen installed which looks great except that one part of the kitchen ceiling is uneven and makes the cabinets look uneven but it is definitely the ceiling. Any ideas on how to make it look less prominent.
motownmom
To be honest, it's hardly noticeable from the picture you posted. I also think the coved plaster to the right sort of gives an optical illusion to this area.

I normally don't like things on top of cabinets because it makes them look cluttered. However, the easy fix would be to get a lovely basket and fill it with faux ivy or greens and spread them out over the length of the cabinet.

The better idea, which would cost more, would be to get someone to come in and do a very large molding along the top.
October 19, 2013 at 4:44am      Thanked by rgreen79
rgreen79
The only thing with the moulding is that the other side of the kitchen wouldn't have space for any so would look a bit weird. May go with the ivy idea though but agree it could look cluttered
October 19, 2013 at 5:03am   
CDR Design
I would advise removing the existing crown above the cabinets and have a crown molding done similar to photo below.

houzz=
]
October 19, 2013 at 5:08am     
Edmond Kitchen & Bath LLC
A slant like that is not very noticeable - you are seeing it because you just had the work done, so you are looking right at it. The option of taking the crown to the ceiling is one we do occasionally - but then that transfers the slanted line to the front of the cabinet, so you have to think about where you will adjust the trim to hide the slant. The closer together mill lines are, the more noticeable the slant will be, so using the large flat area (in the pic above) as you adjustment point will help. Know that this option will create other issues - the gap between crown and ceiling should be caulked, leading to repainting the ceiling...

One simple solution, similar to the greenery, is to place a couple of short vases up on top. Maybe echo the color of the tile, and place offset to the right. This will break the line up visually, without any additional construction. Plus you can test drive that for awhile to see how it works.

Another option - add cove crown (like the wall) to the top of the existing cabinet trim - this will create more of an overlap with the two crowns rather than a gap between. Slant will still be noticeable, but less so as your point of perspective will move as you move around the room.

We find this situation in a lot of homes - most of the time the ceiling rolls up and down rather than a slant, but it creates the same issues. Wood framing twists and bends over time, so even the flattest ceiling will be different ten years later...Best of luck! Robert
October 19, 2013 at 7:07am   
disgusing an uneven ceiling with pciture frame molding
My contractor suggests adding picture frame molding...
Uneven Ceiling, therefore different height in walls at frames.
My Ceilings are uneven, it is visible at door frames...
what do you do with an uneven ceiling?
I am remodeling a kitchen. We are taking out the wall...
Height for drapes for tall ceilings with uneven window
What height should I hang window treatments for a room...
damp walk out basement
Musty smell in basement rooms.
Help arranging furniture in living room
Hi, I can't decide what's the best furniture arrangement...
Outlet placement
How far about the countertop should electrical outlets...
Deciding on this art? And corner space?
Help! Do I need something in this corner? Also are...
Need help with this guest room
This room is very small. I had the head board made...