Update fireplace ideas
mgarden
I want to redo the mantle and brick. Should I paint the brick white? Looking for ideas. FYI. This is a wood burning fireplace and we use it a lot.
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
Smash it all! Remove it and you could create a great floating fireplace with a clean fresh design aesthetic. Keep the antlers but I feel placing them in an organised grid pattern would have more impact.
October 19, 2013 at 7:23pm   
solincia
I actually really like the brick. What does the rest of the room look like? At the moment I think the issue is your eye looks everywhere when looking at this. You need a focal point. I'd remove all of the antlers, remove the items from the hearth, find a picture or mirror as a resting place for the eye, then reevaluate. At first glance, i would paint the mantle in a deep espresso, distressed ebony finish, not paint the brick.
October 19, 2013 at 7:29pm     
sstarr
This is already an attractive fireplace, and potentially a really nice fireplace.
Smashing it is a very poor idea.
Changing the mantel, in particular, could enormously improve the look. The current mantel is too formal for the casual, rustic brick. Go for either a stone mantel for a quality look, or a hand-hewn beam mantel for a current rustic look.

I take it that there are hunters in your family; but I find myself counting venison chops when I look at the wall of antlers. Could you have them made into a couple of large, rustic chandeliers for the room? They would set off the fireplace beautifully. S*
October 19, 2013 at 7:39pm     
leahcmorgan
Love the brick! I'd leave it alone. It looks worn and has great character. I think the mantle would look great a dark gray or a blackish brown.
October 19, 2013 at 8:02pm   
howellmsue
I think your fireplace, brick and mantle are beautiful- what isn't working are all of those pair of antlers. They are overwhelming, it is just too much.
October 19, 2013 at 8:30pm     
Angela
Would not paint thst brick....its stunning!
October 19, 2013 at 8:38pm   
Creatively Yours Custom Inc.
Could you take a picture of the rest of that room? I would like to see your style and your colors and then could make more specific recommendations. I was thinking of painting that fireplace wall in an accent color. I would change the mantle but again I am not sure of your colors or style.
October 19, 2013 at 9:14pm   
Knuck1es
I once painted my brick fireplace white, and loved it. If your fireplace has glass doors it will stay white. If it's an open fireplace or just a screen, the white will get smoky really quick.
October 19, 2013 at 9:33pm   
Holy moly!
October 19, 2013 at 10:37pm   
Rina
Groveraxle, there you go again. Next time you're in Africa, dear, we must have a quiet little chat. Camomile tea, perhaps? (Love you to bits, really I do.)

However, the fireplace. The brick is lovely. Sorry, but give those antlers a decent burial and get rid of all the stuff. Depending on what's up in the rest of the room, perhaps paint the mantlepiece a dark colour. Hang art above it -- you might like something like these, from fineart.com. I like Groveraxle's dark candlesticks, too.
October 20, 2013 at 12:45am   
Rina
PS, in the candlesticks, orange candles for fall, red for winter, light green for spring, white for summer? (This has nothing to do with repainting the fireplace but I can't see a fireplace without wanting to fiddle with the decoration.)
October 20, 2013 at 12:50am   
zohrehalaghemand
I had the same issue when remodeling my house. I had a rather large fireplace but I changed the look by placing wood shelving around
October 20, 2013 at 11:42am   
Amanda Immurs- painting and faux finishing
try re-glazing the fireplace rather then painting it. that way you can get the colour and tones you need to match your design. painted brick can look flat.
October 23, 2013 at 3:42pm   
Easy Fireplace update idea, good or bad?
Beach house (that we use and rent), thinking of having...
Ideas to update fireplace surround
Hi all, We really love our fireplace and mantle, but...
Fireplace update --- need ideas (surround vs. mantle vs. built-ins)???
We just moved into our new house and its a blank slate...
Need ideas for updating brick fireplace in basement
I would like to either paint or whitewash the brick....
Ideas for updating fireplace?
Gas fireplace with dark red brick and faux logs. It...
laying concrete tiles 800 x 800 x 25
What is the mix and mix ratio when laying concrete...
Countertop Help
Searching for a countertop to go with our kitchen....
More sand in the house than on the beach? Viola!
After enduring years' of vacuuming sand from our floors,...
Paint color for this dresser!
My mother in law gave this dresser to me. She was getting...
My boring bedroom.
Have tried different ways to decorate room. Larger...