Need help with low ceiling in basement bathroom.
jjbalua
We are adding a bathroom to our basement ranch style house. The ceiling is quite low due to duct work. Putting custom shower in. Looking for ideas on how to make it appear it has higher ceiling. No windows. Thinking if using glass block for the wall in the shower. Any one have any suggestions? Thanks!!
Glass and keeping the materials light and consistent throughout the bathroom would help a bit.
0 Likes   October 19, 2013 at 11:51PM
brickln
Paint/tile it black/midnight blue. Completely tile walls and floor- wall hung toilet and sink. Consider just having a floor drain with no shower enclosure at all, just a curtain or plain glass if you're concerned about the splash. Unless it's a large space, glass block will weigh down the room.
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 2:06AM
jjbalua
The room is about 11 ft by 7.5...
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 4:36PM
brickln
That's enough room- do you have enough ceiling height so that the block doesn't have to go to the ceiling? I saw a curved wall treatment in a showroom that looked kind of cool.
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 6:51PM
jjbalua
We were thinking of just painting the ceiling and ductwork a shade of white. We think it might look too enclosed if we tried to finish it off. The ceiling in most of the bathroom is about 7'2"
We thought that with the glass block it might help it look more open...?
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 9:00PM
brickln
I think the newer glass materials will help it feel even more open- it's just preferences I guess. If I was going for a retro look, I'd chose block, 6' height wall. For a more modern look, an obscured architectural glass could separate the shower area, or a combination of tiled wall and glass.
I'd probably draw a line at 6' for the whole room, and use interesting tiles to keep the eye focused lower. To me, a darker ceiling creates an illusion that the space is continuing, although in this room having the wall and ceiling the same color would probably work best.

But here's a bath I like that runs somewhat counter to what I'm saying but I think gives the spacious feeling you're looking for.

0 Likes   October 21, 2013 at 4:09AM
jjbalua
A friend who is a painter suggested that we should paint the ceiling a black luster color to hide everything. And says its easier to keep clean. We have travertine tile for floor and shower, so most things will be light colored. The vanity is medium wood colored with lighter top. Anyone have thoughts on whether using dark or light on the ceiling will make it seem higher?
0 Likes   October 31, 2013 at 9:12PM
HERE Design and Architecture
A dark ceiling with a matte finish will seem to recede more than a lighter color or a glossier finish. Also, the larger the room appears in plan, the lower the ceiling is likely to feel, so, breaking the room into smaller spaces (i.e. not having a transparent shower wall) might actually help.
0 Likes   October 31, 2013 at 9:18PM
jjbalua
I hadn't considered that with having more walls...our main reason for glass block half wall was to allow more light into the shower.
0 Likes   October 31, 2013 at 9:50PM
need help with lighting a dark basement room with low ceilings
i have a basement room with low ceilings and small...
Need help with low ceiling in basement
My house is a new construction but the ceiling in the...
Need Help with Lighting Low Ceilings in Basement (Pt. 2 Plan Attached)
Need Help with Lighting Low Ceilings in Basement We're...
Need Help with Lighting Low Ceilings in Basement
We're doing a gut renovation and need to figure out...
Need help with finishing a basement with a low ceiling. No room for tile, etc.
It's just a block basement (about 26 x 38) with several...
Do you mind mirrors in the dining room?
[houzz=http://www.houzz.com/photos/1124199/Vintage-Nouveau-Home-eclectic-dining-room-los-angeles] This...
Space near Kitchen help
Any thoughts about this area.i'de like to tweak it...
Looking for teak vessel vanity 18" - 22".
This is a remodel project. I see many that I like in...
Help choosing a front door color.
Due to my cancer diagnosis we had to move from our...
Need help with a dining room tablescape
I'm looking for just the right tablescape to set off...