Kitchen Design
northofcenter
Complete kitchen renovation: Galley ish (15 by 8). Walnut cabinets with small bead/flat panel (shaker plus a bead) and inset door with concealed hinge. Miele 36 inch fridge and dishwasher in steel, Blue Star 36" range in white/stainless. The hardware is a patina'd "silver" knob for the doors and a matching cup pull (they are grooved like a scallop shell). It is slightly modern due to the cabinets and Miele appliances, slightly vintage due to the range and overall style of the house (1920's cottagey).

I am stumped on the floor and the counters We were thinking wood for the floor but I think it is too much with the cabinets and we were thinking solid black granite for the counters but is it too heavy? Whatever we do on the counters will be the entire wall between the counter and the cabinets.

My design is sort of slightly nautical, clean vintage...........One additional factor is that the kitchen floor was, and will also be, the floor leading out the kitchen door into the back door vestibule. The back entry turns left into the kitchen (through a doorway) or right (through a doorway) into the front hall . The floors everywhere else are the original (medium/dark) oak.

The other kitchen door goes into the dining room also through a door with threshold. Really struggling with this decision. I have children and a dog so I am looking for something that will be forgiving of dirt and dog hair. Thanks for any and all comments and no I have no pics. Please use your powers of mental imagery!
nolaladyknows
What about a travertine tile floor and complimentary quartz countertop?
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 8:40AM
northofcenter
is travertine soft?
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 8:44AM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Without seeing samples of the finishes, it is hard to tell. My initial inclination would be to match the existing flooring in the home for the kitchen. Then seriously lighten up the countertop choice to a white marble look.
0 Likes   Thanked by northofcenter    October 20, 2013 at 9:02AM
northofcenter
We are definitely going to go light --carrara or something with a lot of white. I actually dont like dark wood floors and I think wood in the kitchen is risky. I am debating that tile that looks like wood.
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 9:11AM
Cabinet update
F/U.... Pictures for cabinets and color choice? Already...
Help matching bathroom floor tile to perla vernato shower walls
The shower walls are perla vernato slabs and the counter...
Need ideas
Looking for ideas for window treatments etc. Just...
New Granite Vanity Top - Should I call contractor back?
I had granite installed in my bathroom yesterday and...
Brown! Brown!...and more Brown!!
I need help...I am trying to deal with all the brown...