Which hardwood?

ellapapayaOctober 20, 2013
Our water heater flooded our home destroying 1000 sq ft of ugly laminate, so our living room, kitchen, hallway, and 2 bedrooms need new flooring. We do not want to break the bank but prefer to place solid hardwood that we can enjoy for years to come.

My favorites are: Brazilian cherry, Hickory, Pine (true that heartpine is much harder than regular pine?). Would consider Oak but don't love it.

My biggest concerns:
1) The plywood subfloor is over a poorly ventilated (humid) crawlspace which we would like to enclose at some point in the future (cannot afford the $3k to enclose it now since we need our extra $ for this unplanned flooring project).
2) Indoor cats with claws that sometimes vomit in unnoticed areas (we clean it up when we find it but if it goes undetected for more than a few hours I'd like to have a wood that can hide the damage).
3) Do not want a floor that will yellow over time as I have been told the lighter colored prefinished floors can yellow badly. I am not bothered by the darkening of brazilian cherry though.
4) Want the floor to hide dirt/cat hair so I am not sweeping & mopping every day. I read that brazilian cherry shows footprints and dirt badly, so although it was my first choice initially I am concerned it will be too difficult to keep a clean look.
nolaladyknows
6 active children and a dog were raised in my home with heart pine floors. They have aged beautifully.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 8:36AM
ellapapaya
That is wonderful news. I love pine but have been afraid since all I read say it is terribly soft.
    Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 4:10PM
aging88
If you like a distressed look, an engineered cherry distressed hardwood floor hides scratch marks great. Also cleans well with pet mishaps.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 4:44PM
aging88
PS The dark wood does show dust and pet hair though! They need to be cleaned often.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 4:46PM
Stromberg Moore Hardwoods
Any Cherry will significantly change color over time. Pine is very soft, and although heart pine is harder, it is still pine. White Oak is making a huge comeback and is easily stained, plus the price point on oak is great. The darker you go...the more dirt, pet hair you will notice. With your issue of moisture, please consider an engineered floor. Check out this really cool engineered Sapele.
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 7:07PM
which hardwood floor width to choose
hardwood floors in tiny powder room and narrow hallways,...
margiegallo
Refinishing hardwoods after water leak
We had a water leak in the kitchen which has hardwood...
rebel831
Tile meets hardwoods
I have new construction going on -- in my foyer there...
dbshealy
Which color hardwood?
Which hardwood color do you prefer? Left or right?...
chungv
Hard to decide which hard wood floor for living room of log home!
I'm in final phase of renovation of log home and I'm...
eliza112244
Bedroom/Bathroom Redecorate ideas Needed!
Need to paint bedroom and bathroom....want to use leopard...
maryb56
What goes with this chair?
I need help figuring out what to out with my new chair!...
wapusk99
thoughts on this clock
Does this clock work on this wall? The wall separates...
sweeps22
Home sick in Louisiana
All I see is brown stain - I have many questions re:...
Jenna Carr