Which hardwood?
ellapapaya
Our water heater flooded our home destroying 1000 sq ft of ugly laminate, so our living room, kitchen, hallway, and 2 bedrooms need new flooring. We do not want to break the bank but prefer to place solid hardwood that we can enjoy for years to come.

My favorites are: Brazilian cherry, Hickory, Pine (true that heartpine is much harder than regular pine?). Would consider Oak but don't love it.

My biggest concerns:
1) The plywood subfloor is over a poorly ventilated (humid) crawlspace which we would like to enclose at some point in the future (cannot afford the $3k to enclose it now since we need our extra $ for this unplanned flooring project).
2) Indoor cats with claws that sometimes vomit in unnoticed areas (we clean it up when we find it but if it goes undetected for more than a few hours I'd like to have a wood that can hide the damage).
3) Do not want a floor that will yellow over time as I have been told the lighter colored prefinished floors can yellow badly. I am not bothered by the darkening of brazilian cherry though.
4) Want the floor to hide dirt/cat hair so I am not sweeping & mopping every day. I read that brazilian cherry shows footprints and dirt badly, so although it was my first choice initially I am concerned it will be too difficult to keep a clean look.
nolaladyknows
6 active children and a dog were raised in my home with heart pine floors. They have aged beautifully.
1 Like   October 20, 2013 at 8:36AM
ellapapaya
That is wonderful news. I love pine but have been afraid since all I read say it is terribly soft.
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 4:10PM
aging88
If you like a distressed look, an engineered cherry distressed hardwood floor hides scratch marks great. Also cleans well with pet mishaps.
1 Like   October 20, 2013 at 4:44PM
aging88
PS The dark wood does show dust and pet hair though! They need to be cleaned often.
1 Like   October 20, 2013 at 4:46PM
Stromberg Moore Hardwoods
Any Cherry will significantly change color over time. Pine is very soft, and although heart pine is harder, it is still pine. White Oak is making a huge comeback and is easily stained, plus the price point on oak is great. The darker you go...the more dirt, pet hair you will notice. With your issue of moisture, please consider an engineered floor. Check out this really cool engineered Sapele.
2 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 7:07PM
Ideas on how to rearrange couch?
Hello again Houzz-ians, Just wondering if you have...
tv over fireplace
Is it ok to put a 65" tv over my fireplace/mantel when...
Where to end my kitchen backsplash
I'm looking for advice on how to place my backsplash...
Need to fill empty wall and space in living room!
Recently moved into our new home and loved the big,...
How to style the dresser-credenza in master bedroom?
We needed a quick dresser solution in our master bedroom,...