Mantel decor ideas needed
jeanak
It's been 2 years since we built our house and, except for Christmas decorating, this mantel has yet to be finished with decor. The mirror can go. What are some ideas for kid-safe objects/pieces that would work well with the scale of the fireplace area? I'm open to art, changing the color of the white space above the mantel, etc. Ideas are very appreciated!
quatorze
Consider having a mural custom-painted in the white space. It can be painted on canvas which has been cut to size (with edges folded under for strength and a neat appearance) so it can be removed for cleaning and repair in the future, if needed.

Consider the murals of the Craftsman Style era, or the artwork of the California plein air painters as a source for ideas. Greens and blues and a landscape theme would perfectly suit the space and an open landscape, with trees to each side, would give the appearance of depth. With something striking like that, no need to "dress" the mantel, save for a few holidays. Low California pottery pieces in like colors could be added later, as the children age out of the "danger" phase. I would change the lights to even simpler style, or move them onto the wood pilasters, if you opt for the mural.
1 Like   October 20, 2013 at 9:40AM
1 Like   Thanked by jeanak    October 20, 2013 at 9:41AM
dclostboy
The same stacked stone would help with visual cohesion, especially given your two story ceiling.
2 Likes   Thanked by jeanak    October 20, 2013 at 9:43AM
Gwen
I would paint the white space a warm red, similar to the color of the tin sitting on the hearth. It's too stark and cold, the white. I would use the center space as a changeable display. A wreath at Christmas hung in the center. An upright plant at other times, wrought iron piece that can be hung there- I would opt for a circular or wavy piece to soften the lines. I would carry the measurement of this center space between the lights with me at all times and keep your eye out for different pieces of art to reflect the seasons! :-) Hope that helps! Have fun with it!
0 Likes   Thanked by jeanak    October 20, 2013 at 9:55AM
HI -- Beautiful fireplace but I think that's the problem is the white space ! It's too white and needs something . Either a color or a William Morris style wallpaper or tiles or a piece of marble or onyx's or antiqued mirror . Then a beautiful wreath for Christmas or a collection of crystal or frosted candle sticks and spires or look at the front cover of the Christmas book at Restoration Hardware - the mini lights in the glass domes .
0 Likes   Thanked by jeanak    October 20, 2013 at 10:10AM
soberg
+100 on quatorze's mural idea. It will look wonderful!
0 Likes   Thanked by jeanak    October 20, 2013 at 10:19AM
wunderful25
Paint the white area a warm neutral color from the stacked stone. Change out the sconces with more substantial sconces. And finish it with a large canvas print of your family.
1 Like   October 20, 2013 at 1:40PM
In need of fireplace/mantel decor ideas!
We moved into our house a month ago and the items on...
bmevans2004
angela69
Decorating ideas for mantels and television surrounds
I have a large television (64 inch) that has a cabinet...
Debbie Rathert
Ideas for decorating mantel
I only put the clock there for the photo. The clock...
remodel57
Ideas for mantel decorating, 100" long and only 22" to ceiling.
I'm always looking for ideas to decorate my mantel....
grmadb52
Lead in ceramic tile
I understand that ceramic tile sold at big box chain...
Jackie Peace
rredpenn
"Tied in knots,need help with Living Room"
Hello, We have moved into a furnished condo. Awesome...
00finaly
Powder room design help
We recently bought a fixer upper. The main floor powder...
iknowclc
Need colour help...
Ok so I am not a designer or anything and I need some...
milloy36