Popcorn ceilings
mellie6666
October 20, 2013
There are pros and cons of popcorn ceilings . My condo ceiling has the heaviest popcorn I have ever seen. Is there a way to partially remove some of the texture?
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I believe that anything you do will not work unless you have it all removed. I am not aware of a way to partially remove it. The ceiling material should be tested for asbestos and if positive, should be removed by an abatement company.
4 Likes    Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 9:04AM
Aimee Prom
We had a mudding specialist come and put a fine layer of mud on our walls and now they are smooth and beautiful.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 9:12AM
victorianbungalowranch
If there is asbestos, could be safer and cheaper to just put up a new ceiling over the old, if you have the space. Otherwise, a coat of paint will keep the asbestos from breaking up and out of the atmosphere. I would only knock it all down if the place was vacant, and you were replacing the carpet as well. A professional company will minimize the mess and spread of dust, but it would make me nervous to do it in my living areas with a lot of soft surfaces.
    Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 9:17AM
mellie6666
No asbestos used.
    Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 12:44PM
dkokesch
I did all of mine. Has to be done before it is painted. Much easier! Primed and painted after! Now I love it!
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 12:53PM
dkokesch
Scrape it with a scraper. Gets very dusty . Very simple to do.
    Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 4:26PM
Wet it with a spray bottle before you scrape it. And wear a dust mask anyway. You can actually buy a popcorn scraper at Home Depot.
    Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 4:38PM
lkilgore75
I hate popcorn ceilings and even worse, the plaster ceilings. Anyone know if thats able to be removed?

What is wrong with builders??????
    Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 5:17PM
victorianbungalowranch
Most ceilings are plaster or plasterboard, what do you mean?

Popcorn is faster and cheaper way to finish the ceiling because it all doesn't have to be so carefully taped and sanded. That's why they did it, but people hate it so much now that I don't think it is done as much as it was.

I once knew someone who had a ceiling with sparkles in it (circa 1978 or so) and we thought it was pretty neat--of course I was pretty young at the time.
4 Likes    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 10:30AM
lkilgore75
I misspoke, I meant the textured ceilings they do. Where it is sponge marks all over the ceiling. I know it is cheaper but it sucks when you want an updated house.
    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 11:08AM
Fred S
A "popcorn" ceiling was originally an acoustic ceiling. It is meant to keep down the noise in a house with hardwood floors and linoleum. What comes around goes around, and now you can see people on here replacing their carpet with hardwood and then asking what to do about the noise.
Because you mention "condo" and "thick", there is a good chance that this is something more. It can be a sound barrier from the neighbors upstairs or to greatly improve acoustics in your own place due to building methods.
It can also be a part of a fire rated assembly that you had better not mess with due to putting your neighbours lives at risk. This could come with serious consequences.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCsQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thehayesco.com%2Fuploads%2Flistitems%2FK13%25208pg.pdf&ei=5rplUoXZLMHK2AW324DABw&usg=AFQjCNFvyUXcj_DsXsD6-XDozYWumJTWeg
1 Like    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 5:09PM
happyasaclam
lkilgore75, I'm wondering if it could be sanded off with a power sander.
    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 5:28PM
happyasaclam
lkilgore75, I found a youtube video made by a couple who smoothed out her parent's walls. Their blog is: a little bite of EVERYTHING. The youtube video is in their blog. I searched "remove popcorn" in their blog and it came right up. Sorry, I don't know how to add a link to their blog using my ipad. The texture they were working on is not what I consider popcorn. I was much less textured than popcorn. Anyway, it is a lot of work! When they were finished they primed and painted the smooth walls.
    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 6:03PM
happyasaclam
I believe what Aimee Prom did, hiring somebody to do the work, is the easiest and fastest way to do it. It may cost a lot more than doing it yourself but a professional will be faster and should clean up afterwards. The cleanup alone would be worth the expense to me.
    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 6:09PM
Ceiling repair on popcorn ceiling
Two splits in ceiling appear from bad taping when room...
losangeles63
removing popcorn ceiling
I need to remove -replace or cove 4 rooms of popcorn...
mannyhadlock
Popcorn ceiling
I need help on how to get rid of my popcorn ceilings...
susanamonteiro
popcorn ceilings
What is a cost estimate for popcorn ceiling removal?...
megrove1
Do's and Don'ts of "White Layering?"
I'm having TONS of problems with my builder. This...
mamabear03
Fireplace
Building a two storey house with an 'open to below'...
mbolt
WHERE CAN I FIND THIS TABLE/BAR?
I found a dining room set I really like on West Elm....
Olivia
Stumped with Odd Windows
Helping my sis-in-law with her odd windows in her new...
happynons
configuration kitchen cabinetry and drawers
I'd like to know the best way to configure a kitchen...
bobbie1d