Need ideas
slyhouse1975
October 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
By looking at this picture what would you different to make this room feel like a home theater.Any little idea will work
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
brenda23r
I've got several thoughts for you. Colors, trims (moldings), furniture placement, rugs, and accessory thoughts. Please email me personally! No charge, since this could be fun, and needn't not be expensive. brendaruglady@gmail.com Brenda
October 20, 2013 at 9:45am   
PRO
Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
Hi Sly! I'm sure Brenda will be of help. A few ideas to consider, to get your thinking started. For home-theater-ambiance here, with existing furniture, I'd turn your sectional to create an inverted V, with the rear point toward where we're standing, or take it apart and create two rows aimed straight at your screen.

Eliminate the chandelier by your window. Put your can lights on a dimmer switch. Be sure that window covering has room-darkening function available. Install carpeting, at least in the seating-to-screen area. Paint walls a deeper color - at least the screen wall.

Pop popcorn, & Have Fun! (...after the little one's in bed) Mark
October 20, 2013 at 10:12am     
PRO
DMH DESIGN
Mark offers some great ideas. Given the tile or linoleum over a cement floor, I would address acoustic issues first-- add canvas wall art on the side walls, a thick, dark curtain on a track that can be drawn to separate the stair from the room, one over the slider and another that can be drawn over the opening to the left corner. Add more can lights on the same grid pattern in the direction of the stair and place them on a dimmer. Aesthetically, as Mark suggests, 86 the chandelier, then paint the end wall, at a minimum, a darker color as an accent, and add a sconce on both sides of the screen at +72". Speaker placement is critical--if your system is wireless, you have the option of possiblly wall mounting some of your speakers, which will likely provide a better quality, if they are mounted at a mfr. suggested height and spacing around your room. Happy Houzzing.
November 3, 2013 at 8:26pm