Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
april422

Green orange and terra cotta

april422
10 years ago
Hello! I m starting to put my living room together and seem to hit design blocks the rug is terra cotta (it looks red in picture) do the orange and green pillows
work ??? The wall color
is Manchester tan. What are some accent colors that would work with the rug? Any advice is appreciated

Comments (25)

• dclostboy
    10 years ago
    Like the orange better than the green. Need another set of pillows to tie rug, couch and orange together.
  • PRO
    Pat Gericke & Associates, LLC
    10 years ago
    I agree with the pillow and color selection from despinach; however, I would suggest shifting the rug toward the second seat and not hanging out into the "walk area"
  • april422
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What type of blue? Dark or light?
  • despinach
    10 years ago
    I think both dark and light would be nice. If you want to keep a "low profile", try light because your rug seems to be dark enough, so let's not try to compete with it. But you can also go dark, if you like bold colours. Teal would also be nice!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I would add some pillows that have the rug terra cotta color. I think you need to tie the rug color into the grouping. The orange pillows could be darker. I would get a different rust red color. Green works .
  • lovedecor1cr
    10 years ago
    I agree with LB Interiors re pillows and the comment on repositioning the rug.
  • Laurie
    10 years ago
    WorldMarket.com has some inexpensive cotton velvet pillows in some great accent colors like a deep peacock blue, greens, reds, golds, greys...all of which would likely look great in your room depending on other colors you have in your decor. Would suggest first trying to find a solid, though, in something very close to your rug to bring that color up from the floor, maybe one of these? Then add a blue green or other pop beside them. http://www.houzz.com/photos/1972085/Our-Pillows---Faux-Suede-pillows-detroit http://www.houzz.com/photos/1972136/Our-Pillows---Faux-Suede-pillows-Detroit,
  • Laurie
    10 years ago
    More I just came across...
  • april422
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you@laurie
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    I like the green, with navy and terra cotta pillows added as well.
    Basket Weave Navy Pillow · More Info

Ikat - Terracotta · More Info

Callisto Home Navy Pillow, 22"Sq. · More Info
  • kristylou
    10 years ago
    I'd love aqua with that rug.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    The pillow from despinach is perfect for tying things together. Start filling in your shelves with some objects in your color scheme and it will come together.
  • Laurie
    10 years ago
    Groveraxle, how excellent you are with whatever program you use to insert various colors and items into a picture. So helpful to the process!

One thing I recently discovered about using color teal or aqua in a room...it can be darn difficult to coordinate things because there are SO many shades of each color, and many look really bad together imo. I am leaning now toward going back to the tried and true blue and white (as in Asian ginger jars, delft pottery, Staffordshire English pottery, etc) because at least with those I feel they are true classics, never really go out of style?

The problem I have with Houzz is seeing all of these great new (and trendy) colors everywhere, makes me feel like an old fuddy duddy (which, I suppose, by the very fact that I just described myself with that phrase, kind of makes it true! LOL).

Anyway, April422, I think Darzy is on to something with the navy blue and terracotta combination. Tried and true classic color combination. Whatever you decide, have fun with it! You have a beautiful place.
  • Meghan
    10 years ago
    Add a coffee table with some fun accents on it and some pillows with prints on it along with the solids :) looks lovely so far!
  • april422
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I went with a darker color it's called bonfire red now I just need to get a set of bigger pillows perhaps a brown or navy or royal blue
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I was thinking of these

Decorative Pillow Cover with Coco Bead, Rust-Brown · More Info
  • qam999
    10 years ago
    No more brown...you need the blues or greens, and prints for this room.
  • Amy Cali
    10 years ago
    I think you need pattern with your next pillow choice. I'd use your kitchen wall color for inspiration.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    I don’t mind the orange and green, but I don’t think you should use those colors in solids. I would rather see them used n a print.
    Floral Decorator Pillow by Elemen O Pillows · More Info

Suzani Pillow Cover · More Info
  • april422
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    New pillow :)
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I like the pillow. The colors may be too subtle and tend to get lost : )
  • Amy Cali
    10 years ago
    pretty :) I would put the solid behind the paisley.
  • PRO
    Suzanne Powers
    10 years ago
    I like your first inspiration the green with the orange, the green gives a nice contrast with the dark wood of the furniture and variety. A green print pillow count be what you are looking for. The darker rust orange rug works well with the lighter orange and dark warm wood tones lending variety.

Sometimes if we listen to too many opinions things can get "watered down" and end up with something less than what we started with.

Whether the pillows are darker or lighter orange they all go with the darker rust orange rug and add variety. Other accessories like green plants, plates, vases, art are opportunities to add more of the accent colors and make the colors come together beautifully for a stunning effect.

Here are reasonably priced art prints from my gallery that can help you achieve your look. Just click on my icon and go to the Interior Design Collection gallery, the prints come in inexhaustible choices of mats and frames in addition to canvas wrap and acrylic.
  • Kris Mays
    8 years ago

I would have gone with textured tan, black, rust and cream pillows.