budget?
Peggy Gish
October 20, 2013 in Photo Questions
i'm interested in the cost of this project, i have a similar one in QB, Having difficulty finding a builder to give solid quotes. On top of the 'build' costs, what is the design cost for a small project like this? thank you!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Rooms That Work
Hello Peggy! I charged $500. for my design in this project. That included the overall concept, layout, tile pattern as well as sourcing all the materials including vanity, wallpaper and tile. Because none of the plumbing was moved, it wasn't complicated. Does that answer your question?
0 Likes   October 21, 2013 at 11:39AM
Peggy Gish
thank you, that is a reasonable and affordable price. Not sure if you've answered this elsewhere, but who did the cabinet work?
0 Likes   October 21, 2013 at 1:14PM
PRO
Rooms That Work
That beautiful cabinet I actually sourced through Costco! The quality is amazing and the total cost including delivery to the door was about $1500. Crazy!
0 Likes   October 21, 2013 at 1:45PM
Peggy Gish
wow! who did the construction work?
0 Likes   October 21, 2013 at 1:55PM
PRO
Rooms That Work
Because it was such a small job it was really difficult to find a general contractor, so I persuaded the tile setter to manage the project as the general contractor. It was appropriate because the job was mostly tile and electrical. He brought in sub trades as needed. Worked really well.
0 Likes   October 21, 2013 at 2:00PM
Peggy Gish
i'm looking for a general contractor for my home in QB....have had the 'horror stories' 3 yrs ago and really gun-shy now! Do you have ones you can recommend that budget well, show up when they say they will, do good work, and get the job done in a timely and efficient manner? thank you so much for your help, I feel i'm stabbing in the dark right now. I did contact a member of the Nan. home builders assoc. and he only does a budget once the contract is signed!! Says he'll go out of business spending 30 hours to quote a job and then not get it. I've sent him my list and I'm pleading for him to give me a sense of whether I can get it all done for my budget, don't think i should have to beg like this! the assoc. had said to get 3 -5 quotes in writing....very hard to do. another local QB builder, i've been chasing for 8 weeks and can't get a quote - he's busy.
Do you have pics of other jobs you've done? i'm more of a traditionalist, looking for a cozy beach cottage feel, covering over the log cabin walls i have now....your photos show quite a modern flair, i wondered if you've done anything like my style? my email is pbgish@yahoo.ca
0 Likes   October 21, 2013 at 2:25PM
PRO
Rooms That Work
It's feast or famine with the building trades. We've just come through a long dry spell, so contractors are making up for lost time. That's not good news for people with small jobs. But if you give me an idea of your scope of work, I will see who I can suggest for you. Regarding my work, you can see more examples on my website @ SusanHargraves.com . I work within the guidelines clients give me, giving them the homes they want to live in (not me) so what you see reflects what I get requests for most often. If there is a recurring theme in my work, I think it might be coastal because I do a lot of waterfront properties, so beach cottage is right in there.
0 Likes   October 21, 2013 at 2:56PM
Peggy Gish
Susan...i'll look at your site. i'm doing a new kitchen, new master bath, putting on a second floor/ceiling - creating a new upstairs room (currently a open log tall 2-story ceiling), new windows one whole side of house -huge ones- 'fixing' the windows installed incorrectly 3 yrs ago, some insulation, new flooring in most of house, whole house paint, new interiors doors, replacing stucco walls with new smooth dry wall in some walls, covering exisitng log walls with drywall, new lighting, upgrading 1970's log cabin lighting....the major items! I have a $100,000. max. budget to cover everything. I have medical needs and need to make the house easier to use....i don't want a fancy palace, this is only 2200', but i need to improve the function, warmth and rat infestations....(work to be done in crawl space). I don't want high end designer things, just function and warm and cozy!! I'm 60, have an injury settlement, widowed and med. issues. If i'm to stay in my house, it needs to function better for me. If i can't do it on my settlement, I have to move, which i don't want to do!
0 Likes   October 21, 2013 at 3:07PM
PRO
Rooms That Work
Hi again, Peggy - I sent you a couple of emails including names of 6 contractors in your area at your yahoo address. I din't hear back from you, so now I'm wondering if you got them? Please let me know if you did. If not, I'll re-send through Houzz. Cheers! Susan
0 Likes   Thanked by Peggy Gish    October 25, 2013 at 8:53AM
Peggy Gish
Susan, thank you so much, yes, i did get them...i've been on the road and a bit behind in my email. I really appreciate the effort you've made on my behalf....when i get home, i'll follow up on your help. Thanks so much, i look forward to seeing more of your work on Houzz, what a marvellous resource, i found it only a few weeks ago. peggy
0 Likes   October 25, 2013 at 10:06AM