Need help with kitchen layout
john_7900
Hi all. This is a layout of a house that we bought which is being built for us. We can change the interior layout a bit according to the builder. The kitchen and breakfast area is very small. We want to put a small dining table in the breakfast area. I don't mind taking the breakfast bar out of the kitchen. But my wife likes to keep it. I also added a change that I thought was good. And also note that there is only 3 feet around the breakfast bar. We need help. What are your thoughts ?
Angel18432
It's a bit confusing because we don't have the whole floor plan. With your revision, are you saying you have to go through the family room to get to the kitchen?
October 20, 2013 at 4:53pm   
john_7900
Sorry for not adding the whole floor plan.
October 20, 2013 at 5:13pm   
The hallway beside the staircase is really 'wasted'.
October 20, 2013 at 5:32pm   
hdyer
I can't tell from the drawing, but did you block off access from the mudroom to the kitchen? If so, that might be annoying not to have that walk-through when bringing in groceries from the garage. I think that's what Angel18432 was getting at.
October 20, 2013 at 5:40pm   
john_7900
Yes that's what I was thinking of doing. Just coz the kitchen was small if I took the breakfast bar out. I will really appreciate other ideas. Thanks a lot
October 20, 2013 at 5:43pm   
sstarr
Right, the island should go. And that is fine, because having a table, which can double as a work table, is a very current trend.
October 20, 2013 at 5:43pm   
orangecamera
I would extend the counter next to the dishwasher toward the patio door so you gain work space and storage. Perhaps a quarter-round or angled piece on the end with shelves below, so you don't make make access to the patio door too tight. Or just cantilever the counter top, and use the space below for pet feeding (assuming you have pets).

Maybe you can make the breakfast bar into "just" an island, and make it narrower. You don't really need a place to sit there, since you'll have a dining table so close.

If you don't have your heart set on both a living room and a family room - you could use the space labeled "family room" as your dining room (it's right off the kitchen), and the entire "living/dining room" as a large living room. Close off some of the large opening between the kitchen and the new dining room. This will make the kitchen much larger, and you can have a lot more storage/prep space. You could even put in a small banquette across from the patio door.
October 20, 2013 at 6:08pm     
centaurita
I would leave the entry from the mudroom and change the breakfast bar to an island / table combo. Make the island part so you have at least 40-42" of walking space between it and the counters. Just an idea....
College Hill Remodel
Edina Remodel: Kitchen://www.houzz.com/photos/1957093/Kitchen---Breakfast-Room-Re-Model-traditional-kitchen-detroit
Kitchen & Breakfast Room Re-Model
Ellentuck Interiors
October 20, 2013 at 6:13pm     
john_7900
I like the idea of the island converted along with the table. Thanks. With the dimensions of the room and the present island could you please give me a ideal measurement for the island so I can present it to the builder. Much appreciated.
October 20, 2013 at 7:05pm   
centaurita
I'm not a professional but it looks like your island could be 3-4 ft wide, and still give you a decent aisle around. You would probably want to figure out what storage you need under and what shape would work best for you and the way you use your kitchen. For example, it looks like the second picture I posted has standard cabinets back to back under it, so that might work-- but then again, you may prefer access doors on the side facing the stove?
Any pros around to jump in on this?
October 20, 2013 at 8:19pm     
john_7900
Thank you so much for this idea. The cabinet doors will be opening towards the stove. I can't wait to present this to the builder.
October 21, 2013 at 6:41am     
centaurita
John, Good luck with your house building! It's so exciting to see it come together, isn't it? We are also building a new house, so I have been addicted to this website for a while. This week my focus has been on finding the perfect stove without breaking the whole budget!
I hope you post some pictures of your home when it is complete.
October 21, 2013 at 6:51am     
Stove and sink don't usually need to relate, but having the fridge near the sink for offloading and prep is prime to me. Consider putting the fridge where the stove is and vice versa.
October 21, 2013 at 6:52am   
john_7900
Thanks Centaurita. There is a lot work to be done. I'm just preparing for the structural changes now and then the decor. I will definitely post pictures. It would have been great if someone could help me with ideal measurements for the island. This site is great. I love it.
October 21, 2013 at 2:43pm   
JandB Kitchen Designs
Hi John,
A quick note about our experience: Brigitte and I consistently design between 70-90 kitchens/year (for over 34 years) and have designed thousands of kitchens.....We also design full structural including below-grade foundation plans.....We have 2 Chicagoland locations and a Michigan location which cover the Wisconsin to Indiana borders, N.W. Indiana and S.W. Michigan.....Anyway, you're going to need a far more detailed plan that that to really answer your questions such as space around the island, pass-thru's, etc.....When you get to that point get a kitchen designer that can give you a detailed plan like the one we've attached.....It will dictate precise placement of all elements and assist you tremendously when shopping for cabinetry and tops.....Hope this helps a bit.....John & Brigitte
October 21, 2013 at 3:19pm   
john_7900
Hi John and Brigitte. This home that the builder is building for us is within a community and that's all they gave us. The floor plan that I attached is all that we get. And it's up to me to make the changes I need. They don't have any detailed plan for us.
October 21, 2013 at 3:32pm   
john_7900
Hi all. What colour hardwood and kitchen cabinets should I use for this space? I was think chocolate brown or medium brown for the family room and Italian walnet cabinets in the kitchen. Would it make the area look small ?
October 21, 2013 at 8:09pm   
Need a help for my Kitchen designed or layout, please help
Hi, I am looking for an advice in regard to kitchen...
Please help! we need a solution for our kitchen/dinning room layout
If you had this tiny kitchen layout, what would you...
Need help on kitchen counters & island layout ideas
What to do about creating an eating area...we want...
Need Help For Kitchen Layout
Planning on renovating our kitchen and are desperately...
Need help with kitchen layout
Hello! I need help with kitchen layout. Architectural...
Looking for these pendant lights
Does anyone recognize these pendant lamps from the...
Floor plan Critique, L-shape house
Greetings, We are about to pull the trigger on a new...
Have you ever had a laundry disaster?
You open the doors to the laundry machine and out falls...
Need advice on what to put by the window well.
I need to put something by the big window well to prevent...