Need ideas for plant shelf in kitchen
lorikay
October 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm almost finished remodeling my kitchen but would like some suggestions for what to put on the plant shelf. I'm almost tempted to leave it bare. Any ideas?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
HERE Design and Architecture
Edible herbs that can tolerate being indoors.
1 Like   October 20, 2013 at 10:58PM
regina5697
Pretty kitchen. I agree with you. Leave it bare!! I do, however envision something hung in the space above the window.
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 11:01PM
regina5697
Perhaps something like these little interesting pieces from zgallerie.
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 11:07PM
lorikay
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm actually talking about the space above the upper cabinets.
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 11:09PM
PRO
HERE Design and Architecture
Concealed uplights.
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 11:24PM
unwantedadvice
lorikay, your kitchen looks amazing. Love the colors and fixtures. Most Houzzers would tell you to leave that space empty but I have the same types of these shelves in my home and all are used except one. Yours are a bit short from the ceiling so I probably would leave them empty as you would not be able to put anything too large up there. Mine have lots of space so I do have large plates, trays, baskets, etc. Live with them empty for a bit and see what you think later on. :))
1 Like   October 20, 2013 at 11:50PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Beautiful kitchen. Good job! I would use about three separate vignettes. One on the left of the sink. Second on the right near the corner. Third on the right side of center of the long soffit, not on the far end. Groups of three or five items visually feel best. Nothing too small. Vary the heights. Use some color. Use like items together if collections. Lots of space between the groupings. I like something there, just not too much.
0 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 11:56PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Re: the window ledge. I would keep it real clean and simple. Maybe a few colorful vases without anything in them on the left side. On right side, a decorative large plate on an easle. Nothing in the center.
2 Likes   October 20, 2013 at 11:58PM
RosemaryR
Go to carlaaston.com, she has a post on "how to decorate above cabinets," though I admit I haven't read it, just came across in another site, might have been bhg.com. Lovely kitchen.
0 Likes   October 21, 2013 at 2:12AM
lucyhomedecor
You could add rope lights & then add some pretty baskets. There are so many styles & sizes available.
0 Likes   October 21, 2013 at 8:34AM
unwantedadvice
lorikay, looked at your kitchen again, so nicely done, and was wondering about your ceiling lights as mine are similar. I did not notice them last night when I first commented. Did you have them put in or are they original to house? Did you think about recessed lighting? I would like to change mine out but for some reason yours look better than mine, maybe more slender. Just curious. :))
0 Likes   October 21, 2013 at 11:52AM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Kitchen is done. Don't add anything above cabinets. Will look too cluttered.
0 Likes   October 21, 2013 at 12:07PM
lorikay
Hi unwantedadvice,
I will be replacing the lighting with recessed can lights. The ones in the photo are original to the house -18 years old! I'm also adding two pendants over the end of the island (side with stools). In addition, I'm putting LED tape lights under the cabinets at the far end by the cooktop. Then I will be done. Whew!
0 Likes   October 21, 2013 at 2:17PM
unwantedadvice
Oh, that sounds great! I am dying to change out my lights, 20 yrs old. As I have said or typed, your kitchen turned out great and hope you have a happy time there. Enjoy! :))
0 Likes   October 21, 2013 at 2:40PM
unwantedadvice
Oh, I see you put recessed can over sink. Did you put in separate light switch for that? I would like that when I change mine. Figure I could wash dishes, etc. with just that light on. :)
0 Likes   October 21, 2013 at 2:43PM
lorikay
The light over the sink is original. We will also switch that out. There is a separate switch for that on the wall to the left of the sink. Also, we're planning to put the can lights on a dimmer.
0 Likes   October 21, 2013 at 6:18PM
unwantedadvice
Good idea about the dimmers. We have old-fashioned CFL lights in our kitchen so can't dim them. Boo.
0 Likes   October 21, 2013 at 7:11PM
lorikay
Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the website and get rid of some of the stuff on the ledge above the sink.
0 Likes   October 21, 2013 at 8:19PM