Need help decorating around marble floor with border and design
111ideahoundOctober 21, 2013
Hi these photos are of our guest room (formal entertaining room). This is where I will have family and friends in to sit and visit. The other will be our family room. It is similar but has two windows and that room is off the kitchen. This is an open floor plan as you see from the photos. Still under construction.
I’m having trouble because both rooms have marble flooring that has a border (see photos) and within these borders a vein in the marble that is faintly visible. You can’t see it well because the floors are dirty—sorry these are the latest photos. Such a floor is supposed to show. But, how do I furnish these rooms to make them warm and inviting without the use of a rug under a coffee table for example. I want the rooms to be comfortable, not cold or too formal. Should I use a glass top table to show the marble or would, wooden be better? Ideas please!
Rina
Your green velvet sofa sounds like a great start. It's going to be about using warm textures and warm colours, and not being over-geometric. Think soft cushions, thick tactile throws, round shapes and curves. The three pics below all look inviting, and only the last has a (very small) rug. The first one has really comfortable-looking seating, generous soft greenery, earthy stone fireplace ... geometric-looking drapes, but right next to them on the left is the softening circle of that gorgeous plate. The second has very warm wood and wall colour and again circles in the chair backs. The third again has the contrasting texture of stone, a very comfortable-looking sofa, and very warm colours in the furniture, art and accessories. Your green sofa is an invitation to living greenery, and green can be used with a wide range of warm colours. If you prefer a wooden coffee table to glass, that should be fine as there will still be plenty of floor on display around it.

First pic below from http://beacont.com/wonderful-tile-floors-for-your-house/pretty-marble-floor-installation-in-living-room/, both the others are from TVvillas.com.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by 111ideahound    October 21, 2013 at 1:07AM
Rina
If you could post a picture of your sofa you could get ideas on colour palettes to use, especially if you could also post a pic of the clean marble -- do you have a sample or off-cut to photograph?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by 111ideahound    October 21, 2013 at 1:13AM
111ideahound
Thanks for your comment Rina. You're right. I think soft comfortable seating is going to be essential.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 1:19AM
111ideahound
I love this sofa from Ikea and it also comes in black velvet as well as matching chairs.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 1:27AM
111ideahound
the chairs to match the green are like this:
1 Like    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 1:28AM
111ideahound
The black chairs:
1 Like    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 1:29AM
111ideahound
http://www.marmidicarrara.com/index_eng.htm No, Rina, I don't have any photo of clean marble. However on this site I found it. It is Italian called, Bianco Carrara and it has beige and pink in it. So, maybe I should think black rather than green?
1 Like    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 2:02AM
Rina
That sofa is breathtaking. Not the cosiest of shapes or warmest of colours, but I'm not surprised you're in love. Black is also not the warmest of colours. Nevertheless, things can be warmed up in various ways. I am less convinced with the green armchair, even though its colours are warmer -- I don't think it works well with the sofa. I'm sure that black chair would work with the black sofa, of course, as well as the green if you fancied that, but again the shape is elegant rather than welcoming. They do look comfortable, though.

I've found pictures of the marble, though these things being as they are there are a variety of them of varying shades of darkness and colour and none show much discernible pink or beige. Again, I don't think the green armchair works with it, as far as I can tell. The green of the sofa does. I'm playing around with colours etc; it may take a while but when I have something worth sharing I'll post it. I hope others will chime in as well.

But I hope you've thought deeply about whether you are going to want to have a green sofa for the long term. It will limit your ability to change the look of the room down the line if you want to, without the expense of a new sofa. That said, mine's vermillion and I've been happy with it for many years. In fact it needs recovering or replacing by now from sheer age.

Must spend time doing other things.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by 111ideahound    October 21, 2013 at 4:16AM
111ideahound
I do agree about the green chair. Just wanted to post it for your opinion. Thank you for your time. I have time on this and I appreciate your input.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 4:22AM
Rina
Okay, here's an approach, using accessories with a rich finish and a bit of whimsy, as well as some soft texture. I think your marble is almost certainly less heavily grey than this picture has turned out. For the walls, pick up the beige in the marble for warmth. Second picture shows a coffee table that has softening curves and a glass top, and wouldn't hide the floor, as well as a cushion alternative. All from Overstock ... but don't worry about the specifics (or prices!) at this stage. Just to get you imagining.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by 111ideahound    October 22, 2013 at 1:17AM
111ideahound
Beautiful Rina! Yes definitely the marble is more beige than grey and I said 'pink' however, it's really more coral/terracotta color here and there that runs through the marble. Our kitchen (this is an open floor plan) has Italian porcelain tiles in beige and will have cherry wood cabinetry. This room you designed (formal guest room) runs diagonally across some distance from the kitchen. One more thing I need to mention is, a powder room in this area is already tiled in Italian tiles, terracotta with a black runner going up to the ceiling for the sink area and the black has a think crystal bling border along the side, not too ornate, but rather elegant. I will attach a photo-the photo turned out so dark (no lighting yet) and room only has tiles at this point but it's important because outside the powder room there will be the same wall with terracotta and the black runner/border outside the powder room with a wash up sink and a mirror. So, this kind of sets a theme in my areas doesn't it.... Therefore, terracotta and black are going to need to be incorporated somehow. Terracotta goes with green, yellows, browns, some blues.... even greys as your pillow suggests.... so that's good.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 2:11AM
111ideahound
'...has a 'thin' not 'think' crystal bling border....'
1 Like    Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 2:13AM
111ideahound
This is the kitchen tile and color. Again, not the best photos. Took them all on a hot summer's day on the spur of the moment. So, kitchen is nearest to family room and powder room, then the formal room is at a distance.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 2:51AM
111ideahound
I found two paintings and don't know which one would go best. What's your opinion Rina?
1 Like    Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 3:00AM
Rina
Let's have a look.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 4:10AM
Rina
Confusing ... cover one, then cover the other. The one on the right, for me, but this is a very personal decision. The one on the left introduces a very strong purple statement that would then need to be tied in to the room, in various ways. It could be done. The one on the right is more balanced and just brings a lovely punch of energy. More comment to come, going to look for something online.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by 111ideahound    October 22, 2013 at 4:22AM
sunnydrew
the picture on the right does go better with these furnishings. It all looks great. I love the photo of the curved stairs.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by 111ideahound    October 22, 2013 at 4:25AM
111ideahound
I too am leaning for the one on the right. Thanks for the input. I'm thinking not to frame this art. Just a canvas. Is that okay in such formal settings?
    Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 4:33AM
Rina
Yes, I've seen it done very successfully. Formal can mix it up a bit these days.

It would, by the way, be easy to incorporate terracotta with this mix. It’s already hinted at in both paintings, but particularly the second one. I actually started off playing with coral -- I tied myself in knots with formal/casual (what I found to use online) so I dropped it. I think there's a touch of terracotta in that lamp, and I've seen enamelled vases in that kind of style with a terracotta background. Indian, I think. You’re going to need some kind of wall furniture – console, chest – think of placing a terracotta-coloured bowl or vase on that. Maybe a set of six tiles on the wall?And if you go for the black chair, well, you have that already. Dark wood will help the balance on that side. It’ll be a matter of building up the colours, depending on what you find and like to go in the room. The black tiles and terracotta look beautiful, dark or not. If you’d like to echo the bling, too, nothing wrong with a bit of crystal.
http://www.crystalclassics.com/orrefors/discus.htm
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by 111ideahound    October 22, 2013 at 4:35AM
111ideahound
Great help you are Rina. :) Yeah, I love wood things and my husband built me a large cubby hole shelving unit that just might fill the order for 'wood.' It is stained a mahogany. However, it may be too rustic for this room... I will also have to decide what the main focal point will be won't I? The art, or the shelf unit, or something on the coffee table??

I do have a console table that is nice, topped with granite that has grays and black. That could go on either wall....The shelf is 42" by 37". I'm quite sure my focal point is going to be the art OR this shelving unit that has 6 cubbies, if I use it, as it's big and would draw the eye. I will also paint the back of the cubbies. I like the back of shelves to be painted the color of the room or a contrast, shows off whatever you put inside.

I think there's enough orange, or slight terracotta colors or at least complimentary colors in the painting to tie in the powder room with the black chairs as you said. I don't have much that is terracotta in my possession at this moment.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 5:16AM
Rina
So glad to help, Ideahound. Talking of which it sounds as though you're getting your ideas all marshalled and sorted. I do hope you end up getting that butterfly cushion -- I can almost see it flying up to your painting. The granite-topped console sounds excellent. You might place the art just above it; a fine focal point. Yes, very often it's small touches of colour that give you the continuity you need. No need to go overboard. It sounds as though the room will be beautiful, and you really have that green sofa to thank. It's so gorgeous, and un-obvious, and forces one to think creatively. I wouldn't go overboard on cushions there, by the way. I'd keep the ones it has and add one decorative extra ... like the butterfly.

When do you move in?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by 111ideahound    October 22, 2013 at 6:04AM
111ideahound
We have a ways to go on the final things. Windows are ordered, kitchen cabinets too. You've been sooo helpful. I do feel I have gained a grounding and direction. Thank you!
1 Like    Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 6:19AM
Rina
I'm one of those people who is still rather surprised to find herself 30 000 feet above the ground in an aircraft. So I do enjoy this miracle of being able to share little journeys like this with people way far away. It's a mighty blessing to me so you are more than welcome. Good luck -- anything else I can do, please ask. And don't forget to post a picture when you get the room together. Please.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by 111ideahound    October 22, 2013 at 6:54AM
111ideahound
I definitely intend to post my progress and I will likely be searching for you for guidance! Isn't technology wonderful? And, I am going to try to get that pillow and painting in memory of this journey. They were made for one another! And the sofa too. :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 8:06AM
Need help with marble tile color issues
We are in the middle of a master bath redo and I'm...
Ashley Fitz
I need help with small living room decor
I need help sprucing up the living room. It is extremely...
Meghann Fraley
Need help on designing a powder room
It is the half bath on the main floor. My question...
Aaron Xie
Tile border around the shower floor.
Love this shower floor. I am planning on doing this...
ana
Kitchen remodel: Need advice on granite tile countertop with border
I am planning on using gold 18 in granite tiles on...
shannonbelgarde
What's "Period Appropriate" for a 1940's Colonial Revival Home?
Attached below is a picture of my 1940's home that...
Casey Nicholson
Need help with kitchen
We are building a house. My cabinet maker has just...
jstone20
Frameless clear glass shower maintenance?
Getting ready to drag our master bath out of the 80's!...
momdotcom41
Direction to run flooring?
We will be installing 12x24 inch tile in our foyer...
lopipopi
Need help with selecting a backsplash for my new kitchen...
Hi...We are having granite put in our kitchen and I...
lorricav