Any help with ideas for a spare room?
Ashleigh Burden
October 21, 2013
My partner and I are in the middle of designing our home. We have a 3.8x3.6m room just to the left of the entry (that is needed to make the rest of the floorplan work). My partner wants a home office, but I have a feeling it would never be used and would end up as a wasted room. Does anyone have any suggestions for a better use of this space?
Sharon
Mud room?
1 Like    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 4:22AM
Ed
Hi Ashleigh, is it big enough to be a guest bedroom ? Does it have any windows ? A home office sounds nice enough. Or, how about a little library or study -- with bookshelves, for when you want to do a little reading (other than lying in bed under a blanket :). Or, how about a game room ? :)

Sharon's idea of a mud room also sounds nice. I wish my place had the space near the entry for people to sit down and put on and take off their shoes, but we lack such space.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 4:39AM
Perhaps you can attach a floor plan so we know more about how the spaces are configured.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 5:33AM
el-dar for trading
i need help to design new office for my girls and shelves i need some ideas and photos
    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 5:38AM
Ashleigh Burden
Hi all, thanks for your comments so far! I like the idea of a mud room or a library, we could combine it with a home office.

Here is the current plan (I realised the study is to the right, not the left!). The window at the front is 2650 wide x 1200 high and for the purpose of the façade we would like to keep this size. The door to the entry can be changed/moved etc with no trouble.
I appreciate your suggestions.
    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 11:33PM
studio10001
el- dar, you must start a separate dilemma, and upload jpeg photos. Thanks.
    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 11:36PM
DMH DESIGN
AB--I would offer that it would make a nice office. It may be harder to make it into a funtional utility room/mud room, unless the window sill would clear the countertop of a base cabinet along the back wall. The window width would likely preclude the use of upper cabinets for any type of room along the back wall (by back, I mean opposite of the door) because of the width of the window. It would be difficult to trim the windows and fit 300 mm deep upper cabts into either of the front corners of your room--I think my metric math is about right? I think you should take a very close look at the front window in relationship to how you intend the room to function--does it interfere with cabts., does it meet egress standards for your area? Making this space into any room requiring a closet will make it less than 10' wide in one direction--perhaps ok for a utility or mud room, not great for an office or guest space. Is it possible to borrow space from the room to the right if a closet is req'd? Good luck. Happy Houzzing.
    Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 9:22AM
lucyhomedecor
Great den space. Bookshelves along the stairway wall. You could buy stock shelves & have them dressed up with moulding. I would put a comfortable chair in the left front corner with a small table & a lamp. I would put the desk at an angle in the middle of the room so you can look out the window.
    Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 9:35AM
Need to make a spare room into a guest bedroom/craft room combo
My son is getting married and will soon be moving out....
janetevans
Home office in a spare bedroom
I have a spare bedroom that I would like to use it...
sweetadobe
Small Room needs to be den/spare bed/and laundry! HELP!
I have a small room which now is currently used as...
kate8713
Need lime green accent ideas for spare bedroom
This photo makes it look darker than it actually is....
Nadeen Pagano
Spare bedroom sleep sofa takes up entire room when open!
I don't want the spare bedroom to be dedicated just...
suzykedz
Need help picking out a backsplash for a wet bar.
There is a lot of color variation in the counter top,...
Sean Firlein
Help me salvage this budget bedroom update!
So. Our master bedroom. After two year here, we finally...
Laura
If Only I could blow this master bath up and start over. Help!
Wow, do I need help. Our house is going on the market...
sandnsyntax
help with colors. open livingroom
im going to paint the walls in this open l.r. but have...
Katarzyna Stanikowska
Difficult picking out a colour
I am having a hard time trying to pick a colour ! Any...
Rhonda Beckman