Need help for family room fireplace
jillmill8998
The fireplace end of this room is a dark hole except for early morning when the sun shines in. We use the insert for heat during the winter but I hate the dark red brick. The offset design and the tv which is in the only available spot in the room make it a problem. I know I can paint the brick, but what else could I do to update this area?
MLB Design Group
Remodeling fireplaces completely changes the look, function and feel of any room. Your furniture tells me your tastes run to a more traditional look, and that the tv is quite large. I think a rustic wood mantle running wall to wall with a thoughtful design would work well, and I recommend painting the brick at a minimum, or perhaps you could cover it up budget-permitting. I'm going to attach two photos that show very different aesthetic interpretations, but both show a fireplace flanked by storage cabinets -- all unified with a horizontal line defined by the mantle. In both rooms, I mounted the flat screen tv inside the cabinet on an articulating arm so that it could be pulled forward and angled as needed. Keeping the tv lower as you've done makes viewing more comfortable. In my designs, the a/v equipment is installed in the cabinetry below the tv. I hope this is helpful information for you.
October 21, 2013 at 11:07am        Thanked by jillmill8998
sunnydrew
Do you really watch TV from those 3 chairs? Your cabinet below, seems to be too wide for that space which really looks poorly selected. Do you have other furniture in the home to work with?. Could the TV go on the wall to the left of fireplace? That way you could put sofa/seating facing it there and backed up to the slider door that does not open? That may be a solution.
October 21, 2013 at 11:27am      Thanked by jillmill8998
jillmill8998
I've attached a picture taken from the fireplace end of the room so you can see why we are stuck with the tv where it is. This room has few walls. It's hung at the height it is because we watch it from the family room and also from the higher elevation kitchen. As for the cabinet, it is the smallest thing we could get that holds the ton of video/audio equipment my husband has and it's packed to the max. We can't even push it back farther because he has a sub woofer behind it. This might explain why I'm so stuck on this one. I really appreciate all the ideas.
October 21, 2013 at 11:55am   
Need help with family room - smaller room, big TV and fireplace
I can't figure out what furniture and/or how to arrange...
need help for fireplace and family room
The re are 2 walls with pecky cedar paneling circa...
Need help update on fireplace in family room
What color would you paint a seventies stone fireplace?...
Need help with family room especially the fireplace
When I bought this house 2 years ago, it need a lot...
Need help 2 story family room seating, TV wall and fireplace decor
Fireplace wall separate from TV wall and want to showcase...
How to arrange furniture in new family room- open floor plan.
This is a view of my new family room, the first 3 pictures...
Awkward Living Room Layout - HELP!
My husband and I bought our petite century home about...
MOULDINGS ON LOUNGEROOM WALLS
I would like to wall mouldings on our lounge/dining...
Recessing lighting placement on large covered patio
I have attached a diagram of how I think the lighting/fans...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...