Bathroom Blues
3bythesea
We are definitely on a budget but are still hoping to make this bathroom at least a little bit more attractive. Looking for any suggestions, particularly advice on how to handle the bumpy walls above the tile. My father in law tells me it’s stucco, but I’m not sure he knows?:) Thank you Design Experts!
Harding Construction & Sustainable Solutions
You can probably skim coat the wall with drywall compound to get a close to smooth finish.
October 21, 2013 at 4:05PM      Thanked by 3bythesea
3bythesea
Ok, I will try to look into that. Thank you!
October 21, 2013 at 5:41PM   
apple_pie_order
Is it lavender and purple or pink and purple?

Skim coat, prime and paint.

Recaulk, remove quarter round or paint it to blend into floor tile along bathtub and wall tile along wall. Do the sink caulk last after you have practiced everywhere else.

Replace handles on sink: chances are good they are a standard size.

Replace the medicine cabinet. They can be had for $100 or less. This is the single biggest improvement you will see every day. They are usually standard sizes that fit between wall studs. Do this before you get the skim coat put on.

Buy a colorful, cheerful shower curtain, the lighter the better, with lavender in it somewhere. Pick up one of the colors for the paint.

Buy a really nice shower head. Speakman makes excellent ones in various sizes (large spray cone or smaller).

Frills: add thick new towels and bathmats.
October 21, 2013 at 5:44PM   
3bythesea
It is lavender and purple. Thank you for this advice. I’d love your thoughts on a paint color that might be nice.
October 21, 2013 at 5:47PM   
Laurence Tillett
I'd go with a gray wall....find a gray with some underlying purple tones to help tone down the purple/lavender tiles. Some white towels and accents to bring the white out of the tub surround. Then, because your floor is brown, get some inexpensive stick on tiles for the floor....something in a black/white checkerboard pattern would be Wow! I think this bathroom could turn from "yuck" to "yum" in a flash!
October 21, 2013 at 5:50PM      Thanked by 3bythesea
Denita
How about adding a little green with your lavender and purple along with a lot of white?
Bay Street

Here is another one
Spring colors bathroom
apple_pie_order
Here are some shower curtains that have more character than the average. I'd go with the frogs for a family bathroom.
http://www.amazon.com/London-Underground-Map-Shower-Curtain/dp/B002V91SYU/
http://www.amazon.com/Surfboard-Bathing-Colored-Bathroom-Curtain/dp/B005V0G2CY/
http://www.amazon.com/Al-Frog-Pad-Bath-Collection/dp/B00ALKZZ54

As for color, I'd just pick something from the shower curtain. Or a light gray. You want something that will not make the white fixtures look old and worn. If you like, you can get a very pale lavender one shade lighter than the tile.
October 21, 2013 at 6:00PM   
Creative Innovations & Designs Inc
Ask your drywall contractor to do a level M5 finish. It is troweled on and can probably hide the bumps. You could always refinish the tub. It would look brand new.
October 21, 2013 at 6:19PM   
Lighting Help Needed
I neede help in figuring out fixtures for my kitchen....
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...
Paint Color Matching Website - I cannot find one I used to use!
There is/was a site that I used to be able to select...
Update a family room
I want to modernize my family room and take it out...