Need Help Remodeling Giant Fireplace!
cowgirl9300
I just bought this house a week ago at an auction. All of the photos I have attached are furnished from the old owner (so outdated, yuck) I want to give this home a modern day look. I have attached a few pictures to give a general idea of the floor plan and where the giant fireplace is located. I feel like it has so much potential. I am just having trouble figuring out the best way to make it look more modern. Feel free to shout out some ideas for the kitchen as well! I am remodeling the entire house so I want as many ideas from people as possible!
sunnydrew
Paint the brick and add a thick piece of wood clad over the mantle. Add a rug and some new furniture- easy!
October 21, 2013 at 11:47am      Thanked by cowgirl9300
Southern Kitchens, Ltd. Co
I love the brick.! I agree with the thick wood clad and area rug. You need some are to put on the sides. Maybe large candle sconces?
October 21, 2013 at 11:52am      Thanked by cowgirl9300
cowgirl9300
Yes I love the brick too! That's why I want to work with it. I'm thinking white paint? Candle sconces are a great idea! I would have never thought of that.
October 21, 2013 at 11:59am   
Southern Kitchens, Ltd. Co
http://brecherslighting.xolights.com/Brand-uttermost/giaveno,-1-lt-pendant/21924/SKU-QYEX?callingPage=CatalogBrowse&ut=W

If you dont want to drill into the brick here are some really neat pendant lights to hang from the ceiling right in front of the brick!
October 21, 2013 at 12:54pm      Thanked by cowgirl9300
hotmholt
Keep the brick and use colors to compliment. Hearth looks long enough for several cushioned seating areas, replacing the fireplace tools. I love that the brick is some-what
an accent wall for kitchen. Mucho potential--have fun.
October 21, 2013 at 1:00pm        Thanked by cowgirl9300
hotmholt
"Keep the brick" meant do not paint, please. I didn't think you wanted to demolish that wall.
October 21, 2013 at 1:02pm        Thanked by cowgirl9300
White wash it. Google for infor. Easy and cheap. On each side of mantel which should be painted white. Add floor mirrors 6 ft tall center on firepl wall. Ikea has for great price. Silver or dark frames. do not hang. Over mantel a big 36" sunburst mirror. This will break up brick. And bring In light.
October 21, 2013 at 1:08pm      Thanked by cowgirl9300
cowgirl9300
I like that. I think I might go with the candle sconces idea, but hopefully drilling into the brick won't be too hard. I want to paint the fireplace white and the walls of the house grey with white trim. The ceilings are kind of low so I'm trying to make them look as tall as possible. I worry that with the hanging lights it might make the ceiling look lower.. any thoughts on how to make rooms look taller than they are?
October 21, 2013 at 1:08pm   
cowgirl9300
I like that idea with the floor mirrors! The house definitely needs a lot more light coming in. Especially because it lacks a lot of ceiling lights
October 21, 2013 at 1:11pm   
Remove drapes. Paint Benjamin Moore Pebble beach, but put samples of any color on yr walls first. All rooms the same. Use same color mixed with water, to white wash firepl.
October 21, 2013 at 1:13pm      Thanked by cowgirl9300
Ceiling white. Floor mirrors will bring the eye up.
October 21, 2013 at 1:14pm   
cowgirl9300
Yeah the drapes are awful. Nothing in that picture will be there when I move in thankfully.
October 21, 2013 at 1:15pm   
Keep both rooms the same paint. Can you remove wall looking into family rm? Cabinets look good.like color. Brush nickel pulls. On ends long 8" new counters. Granite or soapstone, in grays. Get recessed lights not expensive and more up dated. Stainless appl. And backsplash. Flooring wood not to dark and 6" planks. In kitchen too. Great house.
October 21, 2013 at 1:18pm      Thanked by cowgirl9300
Sorry I see you have wood. Looks good. Area rug large
October 21, 2013 at 1:19pm   
cowgirl9300
I'm not sure if I can remove that wall, probably. Here is a picture of the family room that is to the left of the fireplace. The house has an open floor concept design to it.
October 21, 2013 at 1:27pm   
cowgirl9300
and here is another view of the same room
October 21, 2013 at 1:29pm   
Southern Kitchens, Ltd. Co
The laminate flooring looks good, but i agree with travis interiors, colors need updating, and removing the small wall where the peninsula is would open it up for some bar stools maybe!
October 21, 2013 at 1:34pm      Thanked by cowgirl9300
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Definitely lots of potential! Painting the brick will update the room instantly. You mentioned you wanted more modern but I suggest keeping the cane chairs. They have great lines and can easily be updated to suit your style. Here are a few examples.
October 21, 2013 at 1:36pm      Thanked by cowgirl9300
Lydia (Kazza Design)
You're welcome! The possibilities for the chairs are endless. Here are some pictures of painted brick fireplaces. A dark grey could be another option to make your fireplace more modern. A wall to wall shelf would also change the look of it. The last picture is whitewashed.
October 21, 2013 at 3:23pm      Thanked by cowgirl9300
cowgirl9300
Ooo I love that dark grey!
October 21, 2013 at 3:28pm   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I like it too! The colour you choose largely depends on what mood you want to create in the room. It really is a blank canvas!
October 21, 2013 at 4:01pm     
Need help styling my giant fireplace!
Everything seems to be dwarfed by my giant fireplace....
Help me with my giant stone fireplace
I bought a house built in the 70s with a double volume...
need help with fireplace remodel
I am replacing the hard I'm an existing fireplace which...
i need help with remodeling my fireplace
Hi! Our living room with the fireplace is very small....
Need help with fireplace/ great room remodel.
I am taking out this fireplace, mantle, and hearth...
Have you ever had a laundry disaster?
You open the doors to the laundry machine and out falls...
Potlites
How many potlites should one put in a 15x20foot living...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Need help decorating bedroom
Uneven ceiling is feature of the room but we are not...
Mitered edge for marble or quartize ?
I.am wondering by putting the Mitered edge on the countertops...