Television dilemma in bedroom!
kcwoof
Recently purchased furniture and fairly pleased, however I'm stumped as to what to house the cable box as well as DVD player. Can't find a piece on which to put tv and accessories . Any ideas for such would be great as well as new bedding, draperies, color options n general personality would be most helpfull . The furniture is dark cherry almost looks black w silver knobs. The wall color ( recently painted prior to purchase is Ladyfinger by Benjamin Moore . Want to replace ceiling light fixture as well. Thanks!!
DMH DESIGN
Nice work on the furnishings to far. My thought is that you could build out a box shelf/jbookcase above the doors opposite the bed wall. It could serve as a bookcase and to house the cable box. Our DVR cable box is 17w x 13d x 2.5 inches high. It could be higher than the TV, because of the remote and the TV could be on a wall bracket or suspended from below the shelf--centerline of the viewing should be in the +66" range above the floor, as viewed from the bed.. The outlets can be either relocated to +72" above finished floor, or just added directly above those already there at the same height (I'd keep the existing ones, too). If wires remain an issue, just frame out a shadow box, trimmed out like the doors, behind where the TV will mount, and space it out from the wall just enough to hide the cables coming down from the box above. Happy Houzzing.
2 Likes   October 21, 2013 at 1:09PM
Pamela DeCuir Interior Designs
You'll need to change the stand that the TV sits on.

You could also consider mounting the TV on the wall. You'll only need something small then to house your "boxes."
1 Like   October 21, 2013 at 1:09PM
moneypenny02
Sorry I don't have any ideas, but I love the piece that you currently have with the mirror on top. Can I ask, where did you get that from?
1 Like   October 21, 2013 at 1:23PM
DMH DESIGN
Forgot the dvd player--That is more of an issue, if 'hi fi' is a must. If not, consider a TV with integrated DVD player. My intent was to get the TV and related equipment out of the path of travel, which being near a closet and the entry, as high traffic areas in the space, is important.
0 Likes   October 21, 2013 at 1:32PM
kcwoof
... Re: comment about dresser in bedroom pic. It is from Raymour and Flanagan furniture. It is from the Collette collection. I do however believe it has been discontinued. I
0 Likes   October 21, 2013 at 6:52PM
kcwoof
Yes I agree the television should be hung on wall that was my first thought. I put the tv on that demilune only as a temporary solution. Thanks for the advice re: will consider wall shelf or bracket, yet I would love to find a small but unusual cabinet of some kind ( narrow) to store media equipment . Just not sure what material.. Wood , glass , mirror, or combination of materials that would compliment the other pieces. Any thoughts?? Anyone have a thought re: bedding and drapes?? Thanks
0 Likes   October 21, 2013 at 7:00PM
lmckuin
Is that a closet door to the left of the TV? If so, I would put the DVD player and cable box on a high shelf in the closet and run the cables through the wall directly to TV (mounted on the wall) so that no cables show.
3 Likes   October 21, 2013 at 10:59PM
kcwoof
Imckuin, yes it is a closet. Rather full however love the idea of hiding cables etc. will defiantly consult w/ contractor. Thnx for the input!!
0 Likes   October 22, 2013 at 6:53AM
DMH DESIGN
Typically, remotes are IR. The closet door has to remain open to work, for the signal to be read (sent) btw. the remote and the device. Concealment may work aesthetically, but not work functionally.
0 Likes   October 22, 2013 at 7:10PM
pcmom1
I would mount the tv on the wall and have a cabinet maker in to custom make something to place below to hold all the necessary components.
1 Like   October 22, 2013 at 7:27PM
cluedin
If you want easy try ikea expedit shelving below, with tv on top. You wouldn't have to hang on wall, but you could. These shelves come in all sizes - 4 cubes, etc.
0 Likes   May 23, 2014 at 7:27AM
cluedin
Sorry forgot to say that doors and baskets are options, but the great thing is the back is open for wiring and vent that i see you have.
0 Likes   May 23, 2014 at 7:29AM
cluedin
Here is the 4 cube unit in kallax at ikea.
0 Likes   May 23, 2014 at 7:35AM
SoCal Contractor
Kind of off topic here but try to eliminate the T.V in your bedroom. You will discover you have time to read a book, talk to your wife/kids/dog/cat and solve your cable box problem too.
0 Likes   May 23, 2014 at 7:42AM
Genevieve
have the TV wall mounted install a shelf of the same colour as the furniture under it for your DVD player have an Electrician fish the wire and hook it up .

0 Likes   May 23, 2014 at 7:44AM
cluedin
Why is it that people who prefer not to have a tv in the bedroom feel compelled to tell others they shouldn't have a tv in the bedroom. I don't get it. Maybe having a tv in the bedroom makes you more open minded?
0 Likes   May 25, 2014 at 1:31PM
bgfuqua
older post
0 Likes   May 25, 2014 at 1:35PM
The Painted Table Boutique
I had the same dilemma, my husband had this need for the TV on the dresser and I for a beautiful wall, read about how we were able to compromise at https://facebook.com/thepaintedtableboutique
0 Likes   September 5, 2014 at 11:24PM
bgfuqua
older post
0 Likes   September 5, 2014 at 11:47PM
Formal living room television dilemma
My Georgian home is 70 yrs old and we use our formal...
busybelt
Television dilemma Formal Living Room
busybelt
television in the master bedroom
I have my bedroom tv in a "too big" piece of furniture;...
suequini
Bedroom Dilemma
I just moved into my new home - and as a result funds...
mainesthai
Bedroom Floor - design dilemma
Hi Smart people I am attaching a pdf file of the design...
trendimom
happycl8
How would you decorate your house...
if you had two autistic boys and one of them relied...
happycl8
I am seeking....
a day bed that has a trundle that when released goes...
happycl8
Bathroom help
Need to redo my only bathroom with shower and tub....
1pez
What would you do with two fireplaces?
We never plan to use the fireplaces because of children's...
happycl8