Need Help: Turn Master Bedroom into a ZEN Bedroom!
dizzyfreedom
Not sure what to do with my bare walls or lamps or other decor ideas. Keeping the room bare as I'm not a design person on any level and too scared to make mistakes and buy things I'll regret [like the pillows at the foot of the bed]. Any suggestions and specific sites as to where to buy things would be appreciated. On a small budget but would be open to things as long as I could save up for them. Thanks for the feedback!
rosecafe
Check put the Houzz pic below. This could be your bedroom, same color scheme really, just Zenned with bed cushions, framed Zen type pictures on the wall above the bed, the right bedside lamps (with dimmers for mood) Throw rug for added comfort, floor rug for warmth. The creamy wall color makes it all work and keeps it from being too BROWN.
A room is just a room until someone with some Zen Ziz moves into it. : ) you can do this....
3 Likes   Thanked by dizzyfreedom    October 21, 2013 at 3:57PM
pauli12
Zen to me is a clean unfettered look. Peaceful, calm. I think if I were going for that look I would get a large botanical print in a soft green framed in black to place above my bed. I would use only one or two things on the night stands to keep a zen feel.
I am feeling like each night stand needs something to create height on them. Maybe lamps.
I like the photo Rosecafe submitted also. It would add lots of character. I love the lamps that are on the walls I think that is really nice!
1 Like   March 14, 2014 at 4:11AM
pauli12
Ohh I just thought of something else that you may like... a basket collection on the wall behind your bed. That would be so natural and zen looking.
   March 14, 2014 at 4:12AM
carolins
Hi,
How would you feel about painting the walls a darker colour? Add a couple of larger lamps and some art above your bed. I mocked something up, just so you can see the effect.
The watercolour paintings I found on Etsy (I think they are all the same size in real life ;-)) http://www.etsy.com/shop/lorisworld?ref=listing-shop-header-item-count
5 Likes   March 14, 2014 at 4:50AM
dizzyfreedom
Thank you guys so much for the great ideas! Carolins, how on earth did you mock that up? Do you use some special software? I love it! I'll work on adding height on the night stands and art on top. I love the color of the paint, but I'm hesitant to make the room darker. It gets very little light. Originally it was dark and I always felt like I was walking in to a dungeon.
   March 14, 2014 at 8:34AM
carolins
Hmm... I see. You could do an accent wall, keep the rest of the room light, just do the wall behind the bed dark. Or... I did find a photo of a beautiful, light, very Zen bedroom, but your dark furniture wouldn't really work with this look I think.
3 Likes   March 14, 2014 at 9:14AM
carolins
Maybe something like this? (I use Photoshop)
   March 14, 2014 at 9:23AM
patriciarhall
Your idea book example is a true zen look:
2 Likes   Thanked by dizzyfreedom    March 14, 2014 at 9:23AM
anne dee
Also, further to the excellent ideas you are receiving you might consider this decor but on a smaller scale, of course.
Inspiration pic

3 Likes   Thanked by dizzyfreedom    March 14, 2014 at 9:24AM
carolins
Hmm... looks like I forgot to paint part of the wall to the left. But you get the gist... :-)
   March 14, 2014 at 9:25AM
anne dee
another simple influence

3 Likes   Thanked by dizzyfreedom    March 14, 2014 at 9:26AM
Love the tranquility that diffused light through shoji screens provides. You can cover your entire window wall with them, installing floor lighting strips to illimunate the entire wall.

1 Like   Thanked by dizzyfreedom    March 14, 2014 at 9:28AM
anne dee
bamboo wallpaper for an accent wall might prove interesting and subtle
   March 14, 2014 at 9:32AM
dclostboy
Anne, I'm not sure I'd call that subtle :)
1 Like   March 14, 2014 at 9:53AM
anne dee
dclostboy, by subtle, I meant one color only and not very busy ;-)
1 Like   March 14, 2014 at 9:59AM
Cyndy
Hi, dizzy freedom! A couple of questions about your bedroom: 1. Do you need access to whatever is over your right nightstand (possibly a door for your electric box)? 2. What are the colors of your bedding and the poufs at the end of the bed (which, BTW, I love)? And last, but certainly not least, what is your favorite color (or colors)?

I have been on a budget my whole life, so I understand, dizzyfreedom! BTW, do you rent, or are you buying?

I've included a photo of a zen-like room that I particularly like, but would like your answers to the questions above, before proceeding.
2 Likes   Thanked by dizzyfreedom    March 14, 2014 at 10:02AM
condomary
@dizzyfreedom, are you in love with your comforter? What about going with a colour along the lines of the ottomans at the foot of the bed.
@anne dee, I call that wallpaper beautiful. Do you think that would work in a very small bathroom. I love the colour.
1 Like   Thanked by dizzyfreedom    March 14, 2014 at 10:03AM
1STOPlighting
check out this room designed by Spincircle creative. I really like the way they use the defused light throughout the room giving that feeling of tranquility.
5 Likes   Thanked by dizzyfreedom    March 14, 2014 at 10:09AM
dizzyfreedom
You know I posted this months ago, I had given up on getting any help! It's a nice and welcomed surprise!!! I love all of the feedback. What I get clearly is that the lighting [lamps on night stands or sconces] really make a difference. Size does matter. The door to the right on the wall is the access to the attic so it has to stay unfortunately. It makes adding wall sconces a little weird and off balance. The comforter is really just a blanket and it was meant to be temporary. The same goes for the ottomans. They are old. Although I love the idea of them. Plus it helps my little chihuahuas get up on the bed without my help. What can I say, I love my babies. Colors I love are shades of blues, lavender or lilac, browns. I like the colors in the painting Anne Dee posted. But I also like the oranges in the photo 1Stoplighting posted.
2 Likes   March 14, 2014 at 10:21AM
dizzyfreedom
Clearly my lamps are too small.
1 Like   March 14, 2014 at 10:23AM
dclostboy
Instead of sconces, have you considered hanging lamps?
1 Like   Thanked by dizzyfreedom    March 14, 2014 at 10:41AM
anne dee
If the budget allows new bedding(Overstock) pic #2would help to brighten and freshen the look of this bedroom
Also you could hide the small opening on the right by covering with pics or mirrors Pic #1
pics posted for reference

3 Likes   Thanked by dizzyfreedom    March 14, 2014 at 10:43AM
anne dee
@ condomary This wallpaper would look smashing in the powder/bath room
this is a pic for yr reference
not sure of yr style of bath preference
but submitting wallpaper for yr consideration
1 Like   March 14, 2014 at 10:55AM
pauli12
I love it that you have things to help your Chihuahuas get into the bed!
1 Like   Thanked by dizzyfreedom    March 14, 2014 at 4:29PM
Cyndy
Ms. dizzyfreedom, I too have an ottoman at the end of my bed to help my old, fat, but much beloved, Shih-Tzu reach the sanctuary of "our" bed. Not much I wouldn't do for my littlest girl (or for my human daughter too)!

Thanks for the answers to my questions, dizzyfreedom - now I'll start shopping for you! BTW, my favorite online stores for those of us on a tight budget are overstock.com, jossandmain.com and pier1.com.

Get back to you soon!
2 Likes   Thanked by dizzyfreedom    March 14, 2014 at 5:11PM
natoscha
Maybe go light grey/beige on the walls and some subtle color and patterns.
2 Likes   Thanked by dizzyfreedom    March 14, 2014 at 6:00PM
Cyndy
Dizzyfreedom, I'm a bit of a night owl, so I'll be sending you room suggestions in the wee hours of the morning, although I guess it depends on what time zone you're in!

Anyway, there 2 ways to start designing your room: either pick your wall color first and then coordinate, or pick an inspiration piece first, for instance a comforter, and then decide on your wall(s) color.

My first suggestion is for the color of your wall or walls. Your bed is obviously the focal point of your room, and you may prefer to accent only that wall. I apologize for having to use one of Sherwin Williams stock bedroom photos, especially because the bed isn't dark, like yours (1 of the night stands is though, and it should give you a better visualization of the colors).

In Bedroom 15, I used SW 6031, aptly named "Glamour." It's a light gray with a healthy dose of violet thrown in, and it would be a good first step in steering your bedroom toward the Zen vibe you're going for. Bedroom 15_1 is SW 6073 "Perfect Greige," which is just what the name implies - a mix of gray and beige - a wonderful neutral. Notice how the black, white, and warm beige bedding goes so well with both colors?

Please let me know if you like either color, or if you would prefer a warmer or cooler tone, or a less/more gray color, and I'll try again. In the mean time, I'm going to start looking for bedding! Fun!
1 Like   March 14, 2014 at 9:18PM
dizzyfreedom
Cyndy, you are a total gem! Thank you! The color of the walls have to remain the same. It was a compromise with my beloved who had other colors in mind that we're not to my liking. He really wanted a shade of blue and this was the only one we could agree on. The room itself is generally dark. much to my surprise, this color actually brought in a lot of light to the room. Beyond the furniture, I haven't been able to decorate it because I'm afraid to buy things that 6 mos later I won't like and will regret buying. Like the lamps for instance. I'm now regretting having bought them.

I like the colors that notascha had in her pics. Not sure if having too much of a pattern on the comforter is zen like though but I like it. I also like the brown bedspread Anne dee had in her pic although the dark color brown makes me hesitant because I don't want to darken the room like we had in the past. And with blue walls, I'm uncertain if I should go dark or light with the bedding.

One thing I'm noticing besides the error of my lamps is that most of the pics you all have attached have a balanced look because of the lamps. It creates a beautiful frame. I love the hanging lamps...but I have a fan light in the center of the room. Same color as the furniture. And it's a small room about 180 sq feet and not sure if that would work having a fan light. I've attached a photo.

I think having beautiful lamps will definitely make a difference. That, nice bedding and a center photo to bring it all together would change the room.

I REALLY appreciate everyone's feedback. I feel I'm learning so much and wish I had had access to all of you sooner. I have been frozen with a bare room for over a year out of fear of making a mistake.
1 Like   March 14, 2014 at 10:34PM
Cyndy
I think you have a lot more "decorating sense" than you realize, dizzyfreedom! You just lack self-confidence! When I read your latest message, I had to smile, because your beloved picked my favorite color - blue! - for your walls! Computers can deceive, and I thought you had plain white walls...

Truly, you couldn't have picked a better wall color if you're going for serene, calm, and relaxing. I'm going back to the drawing board.

Before I go off on another tangent, I must say I agree with you about the lamps - you need much taller lamps, and you also need larger bed pillows! BTW, is your bed a queen or king size?
1 Like   Thanked by dizzyfreedom    March 14, 2014 at 10:54PM
dizzyfreedom
King size bed...
1 Like   March 14, 2014 at 11:47PM
doctornancy
I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said. I just wanted an excuse to mess with my photoshop program. Sounds like you're getting some great ideas. Good luck creating your most perfect room.
3 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 12:11AM
pauli12
Dr, Nancy, I love that comment! * An excuse to mess with your photoshop! haha
2 Likes   Thanked by dizzyfreedom    March 15, 2014 at 4:51AM
dclostboy
I found this Japanese panel on eBay...would add some graphic interest behind your bed similar to what Nancy did with the metal art. Adds zen, and helps balance the wall volume.
5 Likes   Thanked by dizzyfreedom    March 15, 2014 at 7:42AM
anne dee
another inspiration pic.
This is a very calming room with some elements you could apply yourself.
Your fav pics simply framed as seen in the ref pic,
the pillows shown would give that zen feeling you are looking for plus the red gives the added punch required.
The retro lamps would add some personality and take it out of the ordinary.

1 Like   March 15, 2014 at 8:25AM
dizzyfreedom
Thanks Cassie! Great idea for a single change with the perfect art. They are a little on the dark side for me. I think I'm leaning towards something that is more tranquil rather than bold. Since you asked, I used to be someone who would hold things in and not share my heart openly with people out of fear. Somewhere along my path I realized that you cannot freely be yourself without being transparent, open and honest in every breath. Honesty is the hearts only desire. However, the mind likes to get in the way out of survival. To be vulnerable and fully self-expressed is scary, hence the 'dizzy' and honesty and transparency is 'freedom'. Thanks for asking!

doctornancy, I love your photoshop creativity! It really helps to see things visually for me! Love the lamps.

dclostboy and anne dee, thank you for the continued inspiration. At first I didn't have ideas...now with your inspiration, I have a few directions I can consider.
1 Like   March 15, 2014 at 8:45AM
mfwolfe
When you go lamp shopping, make sure they are returnable. I do not think you need larger lamps. I think you need a peaceful piece of art that is almost as wide as the head of the bed.
You are in a very zen- like space with this room just as it is. It only needs one or two items to finish it. You will know them when you see them.
1 Like   March 15, 2014 at 8:59AM
duffy2009
I love the light mock-up carolins did. Light, airy, tranquil.
   April 6, 2014 at 5:54PM
need help heating attic turned into master bedroom and bath
The owner before me finished the attic area to become...
Need help to create a zen place and a two bedroom for this condo unit.
I need help on how to maximize my 28sqm condo. I want...
need help designing zen like feel to 15' x 15' bedrooms for boys
17 yr old son. just bought manufactured home. Down...
Need help turning a sleeping porch into a master bath.
The space has windows on 3 sides. I need to eliminate...
Need help! Plan to turn a master closet into a home office...
My husband and I both work from home full time, and...
Need help finding this bedding
It's made by Apt 9 called zen and in a queen but they...
Help me decorate my living room
With two very young children, we've been ignoring our...
Need help, wasted space!
Our front door opens into a large open area. Originally...
Create a functional office and study.
This is going to be my office and workshop where I...
Need help with living room
Looking for help with a new living room colour and...