Need help with cabinets
Jeanie West
I have a cabin in NY and we are doing a kitchen renovation. I have read on several contractor blogs that it does not really matter if the cabinet boxes are plywood or particle board. In fact in one of the blogs it stated that particle board was even stronger than plywood. My cabin will be heated and cooled year round with little temperature changes. I only have lower cabinets and the ends of the cabinets will be plywood. Also the cabinet maker I am using has a lifetime guarantee on the boxes. Can anyone give me a logical reason to incur the extra expense if the boxes are warranted and the temperature does not fluctuate. Thanks
klsbernard
I have had both in kitchens and the upper particle boards would not carry the weight of the items. I am an extremely organized person especially in the kitchen so the cabinets should of held. I now have the better cabinets with weight from Corning ware and many glass dishes, it should be having an issue and is is not. I would with any cabinet add a nice waterproof liner.
October 21, 2013 at 5:20pm   
Edmond Kitchen & Bath LLC
in a flood, both plywood and particleboard cabinets get ruined....For base cabinets only, not too much difference. The particleboard could settle more if they are not set level, causing countertop issues (so make sure they are set level and well supported beneath). The sink cabinet will take a lot of the abuse - any water that drips below the sink will cause the wood floor to swell - as the above poster mentions, add a waterproof liner. Rev a Shelf makes some that are like car floor mats with a tall edge to contain any spills or drips. I don't believe that particleboard is stronger - especially in upper cabinets where all of the weight is hung on several screws...but as you said - lowers only - I say go for it! Robert
October 21, 2013 at 7:12pm   
Classical Home Design, Inc. by Susan Berry
There are many different grades of particle board depending on the manufacturer. if you are happy with your cabinet maker and the lifetime warranty is from the manufacturer, there shouldn't be a problem
October 21, 2013 at 7:36pm   
Sheena Garner
Honestly I think a lot of it has to do with the budget and overall quality of the brand. Are you looking at custom cabinets?
October 22, 2013 at 5:55pm   
Edmond Kitchen & Bath LLC
As with all projects, they come down to expectations and budget. How do you expect those cabinets to perform? If you want to insure against issues that could develop over time and want to see those cabinets last a long time, then you should invest in plywood. If you are after aesthetics, and won't be giving the kitchen heavy use and can insure against fluctuations in humidity, particle board may be an appropriate option for you that would save some in the budget!
Thanks, Brenda
October 23, 2013 at 6:24am   
corner kitchen drawers will not open with hardware installed
See photos. would an inside lazy susan work for this...
Tile to go with Kashmir White granite and dark cabinets??
Looking for some ideas on what floor tiles and backsplash...
New apartment! please help!!!
I need help picking furniture out for my new apartment....
Pendant lighting sizing
My new kitchen island will be 4-4.5 feet wide and 9-10...
Living room unworkable?
I have two big teenage boys who like to watch TV with...