Need help on choosing window style!

Aaron XieOctober 21, 2013
Help! Your opinions are important in saving my relationship with my wife. Thanks in advance.

We are replacing all the windows in my year 1939 house in a heritage area. My wife and I have very different opinions on the window design. My wife wants to keep the current style of windows and patio doors. I, instead, want to make the following changes:

1) still use the single hung window, but without grill in windows and the patio door.
2) replace the hinged patio door with the sliding door.
3) replace the bigger windows in the sun room (as shown in the second picture) with big picture windows (same to the big window at middle in the 4th picture). And no transom on windows in the sun room.
Aaron Xie
Any comments? Thanks.
    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 7:07PM
Simon Briggs
Aaron, your wife is right the windows and mullions are correct for the style of the house and should be maintained in your replacements, although i think your option 3 would work. Some of the higher end custom windows from Marvin, Anderson, and Pella have narrower mullion options that might work for you.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Aaron Xie    October 21, 2013 at 7:40PM
Aaron Xie
Thanks, Simon. You mean keep the grill in all the windows and doors, but replace that window in the sun room with a big picture window? What about the transoms on top of the windows in the sun room? That will be some extra cost as well.
    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 7:54PM
Simon Briggs
Yes keep all the grilles but the picture window but flank it with two windows having grilles like your last photo. I would keep the transoms, the add quite a bit of interest and though they will add slightly to the cost they are one of those things you can't go back and add easily.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Aaron Xie    October 21, 2013 at 8:21PM
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
I would maintain the tradition of your house and keep the same design of the windows.
I am surprised that the windows are single hung rather then double hung. If you actually open your windows for ventilation, double hungs are so much more efficient, but they are more expensive too..........
    Bookmark   Thanked by Aaron Xie    October 21, 2013 at 8:27PM
Aaron Xie
Hi, Lampert, thanks for your reply. What do you think of a picture window in the sun room?
    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 8:31PM
Aaron Xie
Also, what about a sliding patio door (with grill) versus a hinged door (with grill)?
    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 8:33PM
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
Aaron: I am sorry that my opinion is different then yours when it comes to picture windows and sliders versus hinged (French style) . I do like to maintain traditional styles and shapes of windows and doors in a traditional house.

However, a compromise for the picture window might be 3 or 4 long narrow casement windows without the grid. This is a traditional look that could be mixed with the rest of the house and still look good......

I prefer traditional gridded french doors, but once again, you could substitute a french door without grids. I really don't like the look of sliding doors for a traditional house. They are so contemporary.

I have attached some casement window photos that you might consider instead of the picture window.....

Good luck.........
    Bookmark   Thanked by Aaron Xie    October 21, 2013 at 9:17PM
Scott Design, Inc.
Keep all windows and doors the same. If you are in a Heritage area, is there an Architectural Review Board? I also have a mid 30's home with great bones yet simple details. I wouldn't doubt that the Stock Market Crash of 1929 had something to do with the simplicity of detail that comes up short on a house that otherwise has stature. Over the years I have provided the architectural detailing the house deserves typical of the period.

With this in mind and the fact that you will be changing out windows and doors, I suggest that you consider the following:
1. upgrade your front door.
2. add a substantial cornice over your first floor windows to help balance the weightiness of your 2nd floor dormer windows and remove shutters.
3. if you want to keep shutters, replace the existing with substantial panel shutters hung on the casing with visible hinges and pintles along with shutter dogs.
4. remove the siding in the dormer and replace with trim boards to combine it with the window head casing providing a unified
window element

elliptical dormer
City Home 1 · More Info

Custom Homes by Reynolds Architecture · More Info

window cornice
exterior'>Exterior · More Info
    Bookmark   Thanked by Aaron Xie    October 21, 2013 at 9:23PM
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
More casement examples and traditonal French doors without grids.........
    Bookmark   Thanked by Aaron Xie    October 21, 2013 at 9:25PM
Aaron Xie
Thanks for all the wonderful ideas! We are also thinking of replacing the wood siding with store as in the Vernham picture from Scott, or at least replacing the lower half of the wood siding. It may cost $10-15k. Is it worth of that investment? Thanks :)
1 Like    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 9:41PM
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
regarding the siding: We are using Hardie or Certainteed concrete fiberboard siding. It looks good and needs virtually no maintenance and creatures can't eat it........It comes pre-painted and the paint is guaranteed for a long time.........
    Bookmark   Thanked by Aaron Xie    October 21, 2013 at 9:48PM
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
The savings on painting and maintenance are well worth the upfront cost.......
Aaron Xie
Scott, could you elaborate a bit more on your 4th comment that "4. remove the siding in the dormer and replace with trim boards to combine it with the window head casing providing a unified window element"? Thanks.
    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 10:04PM
Aaron Xie
Lampert, thanks for your comments on the siding renovation. Is it cheaper to swtich to Hardie or Certainteed concrete fiberboard than to stone siding? If the price is similar, then I would opt for stone siding.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 10:05PM
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
I don't know which is the better price, stone or concrete siding.....you can get alternate bids from 2 or 3 contractors and compare........Make sure that you give each contractor a concise list of the scope of work with brand names so that they are bidding apples for apples........
    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 10:23PM
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
One more thought.....stone siding will require modifications to the trim details around the windows and doors including waterproofing details....this could add costs......be sure that this is included in your bids.........
    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 10:25PM
zohrehalaghemand
My house was like yours. I like you did not like the busy windows. I changed them a little and I love them.
    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 10:35PM
Budget Fence and Patio
I think you place is just fine , you need to pay more attention to the exteriors like the front door , or add a patio , a little landscaping etc.You try these options also. Hope you consider this too..
    Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 3:01AM
I need help in choosing an exterior paint color for my West Coast style home.
I need to repaint my West Coast style home and cannot...
Nancy
I need help to choose colors: walls, linen and window covering
I have this king bed and i want to paint the walls...
Meital Dahabash
I need help choosing windows for a mudroom addition.
We are building a mudroom addition. We live in a semi-detached...
karen161412
need help choosing an accent window over a french door in kitchen.
sorry I have know pictures. I want something simple...
smikeline
Need Help Choosing an Exterior Green Paint Color For Window Trim
I'm currently painting my house and am having a challenging...
foci88
Hardware dilemma
Do you have to match cabinet hardware to light fixtures?...
julie70
Dining Room Chandelier
I'm looking for suggestions for a chandelier that would...
weboughtacenturyhome
Need advice on Curb Appeal for our rectangular flat roof home.
Our house is a FL Wright inspired home (Usonian). ...
sjones1122
Need help with upstairs landing and 2 small bedrooms
We are moving into this house with an open upstairs...
Janie Lowe
Help with pool finish
I have a cement pool with a PebbleTec BeadCrete black...
noakai
Sponsored Products
Sophie Modern Bold Metallic Flower Pattern 84-inch Grommet Panel Curtain
Overstock.com
Dayton Bronze Window 53" High Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Santiago Rod Pocket 96-inch Curtain Panel
Overstock.com
Old Gold Vintage Cotton Velvet Single Panel Curtain, 50 X 108
$108.95 | Bellacor
Bali Roller Shades: Devotion
Blindsgalore
Paley Chair - Key Largo Ruby Red
Joybird Furniture
Renee Textured Leather Bench
Grandin Road
Square Ring Linear Suspension by SONNEMAN Lighting
$550.00 | Lumens