Help Choosing Colors for Kitchen
mjk1108
October 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello everyone. I am in the middle of working on remodeling my kitchen and could use suggestions on what colors I should in it. I am terrible when it comes to coordinating things and making them look good. Right now the walls are boring shade of beige and yellow. I want to paint them a more modern , updated looking color. The counter tops are a just outdated white laminated. I am planning on using the Rustoleum Counter Transformation kits to change the color of them to either a black granite or a dark tan, kind of undecided. The cabinets will remain the same cherry color, but I am going to remove the rails at the top and replace with crown molding.

Attached is a picture of my kitchen. What colors do you all think I should use for the wall and counter tops and make everything flow well?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
jabbott2012
What colors are in the other rooms close to your kitchen? Can you post a couple more photos?
October 21, 2013 at 7:38pm   
PRO
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
My vote is for a cheerful "Tuscan" yellow on the walls. You can paint the backsplash yellow or you can add a new tile backsplash that compliments and / or includes the yellow tones.
October 21, 2013 at 7:39pm   
mjk1108
jabbott2012, unfortunately every room in the house is the same color as in the kitchen. That will be changing though.

The Tuscan Yellow does look kind of nice. I may consider that, but I was wanting to see if there are any other popular colors used in kitchens besides beiges and yellows that may look well. The kitchen is next to an open a 12x13 dining area that will get the same color, so I don't want to use a color that may be over overbearing for this size of area
October 21, 2013 at 8:41pm   
mjk1108
I have been browsing colors online, and from the pictures Benjamin Moore Shaker Beige looks like a nice color. What I am planning on doing is painting the kitchen and the adjoining living room. Since my living room isn't exactly large, I don't want to use a color that will make it appear even smaller.

For those familiar to Shaker Beige, will it very similar to the current color in my kitchen? I am not opposed to using two different colors, but I don't want a big constrating difference either. Like I said, I am not good a choosing colors, any suggestions? Should I keep both rooms the same, or go different with the colors?
October 25, 2013 at 8:30pm