Front Renovation Ideas
rafaminier
October 21, 2013
I'm in the process of getting this house and I need with some ideas for the front exterior. The lower lever is an apartment but i'm not sure if i'm going to rent it. Maybe do a garage. Thanks in advance!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Zone 4 Architects, LLC
How about some additional images taken from angles? Little difficult to get a feel for the whole thing from just this image.
    Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 10:31PM
rafaminier
Got two more angles. I will try to get one farther away.
    Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 4:12AM
apple_pie_order
What geographic area and climate? Have you settled on a budget?
    Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 5:33AM
PRO
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
The house has lots of potential....
It all depends on your budget.......

The first thing I would do is change the stair rail and balcony rail. Newer codes require no more then 4" between the rails to prevent babies from falling through. It is a liabilty issue that you might want to fix right away. I assume that you are in the USA or somewhere that uses the International Building Code which is what is used in the USA now and in other countries too. Besides, you don't want babies to fall through wherever you are, right...?

Paint - especially that blue fascia board....not sure what material that is...Some interesting colors could really change the look and feel of the house.

Landscaping.......It really needs help here........

The fence looks a bit severe. I would do something to soften it up....landscaping or.....???

The windows are probably not double glazed. If you change out the windows you can change the look of the entire house with the style and configuration. If you use dual glazed glass you will save energy costs.

Insulation....If the house isn't insulated you might consider injecting foam insulation into the walls and ceilings to also save on energy costs..........

And one more thing......remove that weird grill over the second floor entry. I am not sure what you should do with that space, but the grill is not attractive........

I am posting some very contemporary images that I downloaded from on line that might be inspirational....or might not.......but they are fun to look at.......
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rafaminier    October 22, 2013 at 6:09AM
yoboseiyo
oh my, that looks like a prison, a bit.

i'd get rid of the iron gate in front of the lower entrance, and also that weird gate in front of the upper one.

if you want some demarcation for the lower, use a 36"-42" stone or stuccoed wall.

and it looks like there's an attached carriage area under that deck? put the garage there.
    Bookmark   Thanked by rafaminier    October 22, 2013 at 6:29AM
rafaminier
Its in Puerto Rico, so its sunny most of the time.

Right know the budget its arround 20k but I just need an idea on where to start.

I think that the fence on the top was just for security, the house was from an old lady. Im thinking of a balcony... There is a space between that fence and the door.

Im not a fan of that stair in front but maybe with some landscaping like you suggested..

I really appreaciate all the input! Thanks a lot!
1 Like    Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 7:07AM
apple_pie_order
A balcony is useful if there is street life or a view to enjoy.

With $20K, I would paint the whole building, remove the extra security fencing and grills, rebuild the stair railing, clean up the lower apartment entrance and put in new garage doors with openers. Bougainvillea will grow very well in Puerto Rico. Plan to mow and edge every week if you like a manicured look for your front yard.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rafaminier    October 22, 2013 at 7:23AM
apple_pie_order
Also replace the railing over the garage with a new railing that meets building codes.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 7:25AM
PRO
Zone 4 Architects, LLC
Agreed on the railings and garage doors. I would put the remainder of the money towards a new fence (if you want to keep the fenced in area), repainting the whole house, and spruce up the landscaping.
    Bookmark   Thanked by rafaminier    October 22, 2013 at 9:34AM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Don't think I would loss income for a second garage. Sorry but house looks like a prison, with that iron fence. And bars. Painting will help too. Plant big plants and trees. New garage door in dark wood would help.
    Bookmark   Thanked by rafaminier    October 22, 2013 at 9:42AM
rafaminier
Great ideas! So I should start with:
• Paint
• Garage Door
• Remove fence from door entry
• Replace Balcony Rail (Maybe work on a ceiling)
• Landscaping

I still don't know what to do with the lower level fence and the front stairs. I will really like to do something like in the first picture but i don't think i have the space. Also looks like I will keep the lower apartment for now.

You all have been a great help! Thanks!
1 Like    Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 5:37PM
PRO
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
Good luck.. And post again when you need more help... Your project is interesting ...
    Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 6:28PM
PRO
sstarr93
Flamingo pink and stone grey.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rafaminier    October 22, 2013 at 6:30PM
robea
i know you probably cant go this "extreme" but there are some elements of this that might work the color the balcony, land scape? maybe shutters? http://www.cococozy.com/2009/01/before-and-after-spectacular-california.html
    Bookmark   Thanked by rafaminier    October 22, 2013 at 6:33PM