Still needs help though...
Collette Tattman
When I bought this house I liked the colors but it was too dark. It seems the latest trend is white on white, so I tried it thinking it would work well with my white furniture. I hated it!! So, after many coats of paint and a combination of carpel tunnel and tennis elbow, I have settled on a ginger/ mustard color accent with light grey walls. I also have new flat baseboards and trim. But, its still very plain. What about curtains or??? The french door looks out to my porch and back yard.
Collette Tattman
More pictures
October 22, 2013 at 7:16am   
unwantedadvice
Collette, being a bit of a novice on Houzz, I don't post pics or links to great furniture pieces, I can say that you have a lot going on in your living room. First, please ditch the clock as it is way too huge for the space you have. The arrangement of your furniture needs work ASAP. Exactly how many upholstered pieces do you have in the room? You may have to post more pics, like starting at entry and working your way around the space in a clock-wise direction. Hard to tell which piece is positioned and where, at least to me. :)
October 22, 2013 at 8:58am   
gge
I guess you should separate the room into spaces and make those spaces work together. I mean find one place for dining room and one place for TV place. Then take out the furniture you do not use. I love the big windows, it could be nice to my mind if you place two arm chairs and a small table with few books on it instead of the white sofa. And change curtains
October 22, 2013 at 9:31am   
Collette Tattman
The pictures with the clock and purple walls is the before picture and furniture of the previous owners.
October 22, 2013 at 10:27am   
unwantedadvice
Well why did they have such a huge clock!!! :))
October 22, 2013 at 11:24am     
Collette Tattman
So any suggestions as far as curtains or color or pictures? My style is craftsman/ecclectic and right now its looking pretty boring in my living toom!
October 22, 2013 at 4:42pm   
unwantedadvice
I think it would help if you post current pics of living room. As many as possible so folks can see the majority of the room and how much furniture is in there. Unfortunately, I am not good at showing pics of color or furniture pieces but so many Houzzers are so it should help. Plus bump you higher up in the dilemmas.
October 22, 2013 at 6:59pm   
unwantedadvice
Bump
October 22, 2013 at 11:14pm   
Collette Tattman
The "before" pictures are the purple walled ones. The boring "now"are the lighter/ ginger wall ones
October 28, 2013 at 5:55am   
Collette Tattman
I like craftsman/eclectic style but its rather drab right now
October 28, 2013 at 5:58am   
Collette Tattman
Grey walls. Ginger/ mustard accent walls with dove/cream colored trim
October 28, 2013 at 5:59am   
Collette Tattman
I am storing the fireplace/ tv stand for the previous owners; its going to go. I would like to remove the wall TV and do a full wall bookshelf in white. The wall where the brown couch is is blank and Im thinking putting up black and white large scale fun pics of my kids (ie- no walmart poses) or ?? I guess im looking for a more cozy, eclectic reading room that has a lot of visual interest.
October 28, 2013 at 6:07am   
Collette Tattman
This is a photo Id like to keep, perhaps change the frame? This is the dining room around the corner ( L shaped floor plan)
October 28, 2013 at 6:11am   
Collette Tattman
My area rug ( currently being "hidden" under the couch until my kitten is declawed!)
October 28, 2013 at 6:12am   
vitux
need drapes and more colors, it is so boring!
October 28, 2013 at 6:16am   
vitux
colored pillows, maybe some colorful artwork....
October 28, 2013 at 6:18am   
vitux
dinnig room rug is not centered, light need to be 36'' of the table, the beige rug does not work for me....
October 28, 2013 at 6:20am   
Collette Tattman
And finally, my truck as a side table
October 28, 2013 at 6:22am   
Collette Tattman
The dining room light cant be lowered :( the electrical and chain were cut when it was hung. Suggestions for a new light? I spray painted this chandelier white and it looks good and I like the idea of it but you are right, its too high.
October 28, 2013 at 6:24am   
Collette Tattman
*trunk. Not truck haha!
October 28, 2013 at 6:25am   
Collette Tattman
Curtain ideas for the bay window and dining area? Thats a sisal/ grasscloth rug in the dining room
October 28, 2013 at 10:34am   
travisinteriors
Looks good. Like you changed furn around too and improved wall items. Color is fun. And where did you hear white on white was in?? You could put rod across top of French door extend out on ends 6-7" add panels on ends only. Use color in walls for print panels. Remember cover just a small amt of door on ends.
October 28, 2013 at 10:40am   
travisinteriors
Changed mind. Cover both side of wall in panels extend out to wall corners. Print panels.
October 28, 2013 at 10:41am     
travisinteriors
Also go floor to ceiling.
October 28, 2013 at 10:41am   
travisinteriors
I would put roman shades on bay window in color of mustard from wall.
October 28, 2013 at 10:42am   
unwantedadvice
Collette, I am trying to take in and remember all of your pics as I type this. Might have to do more comments if I forget something.

You have a lot of furniture in one room. So, you have brown leather sectional(love btw), white leather couch and chair, black or brown high back chair. Correct? Fireplace/tv stand is going. Tv will be hung on wall? Same wall?

Love the rug you have hidden for now. Nice and colorful, should jazz up living area. Love the trunk, perfect for side table. Also, truck pic is great, I would keep frame, gives it some bulkiness.

I like your rug under table, nice and big. As far as light goes, either re-wire present one or buy new. Have you ever considered a flush-mount light, since your ceilings are flat and not super high. There are some pretty ones and that would not obstruct view onto backyard area.

Bottom line is, I think some rearranging of furniture is needed. But I have to think about it more and study pics. Do you need to keep the one high-back chair?

I also like the mustardy color you have on walls. Looks quite nice with brown sectional. As far as curtains go, I am not good at that so hopefully travisinteriors gave you good advice on those. :))
October 28, 2013 at 12:21pm   
Collette Tattman
Thanks for your suggestions! I was thinking modern floral drapes for dining room, should i do floor to ceiling for the dining room window and french door, matching? I think it might be too much if I also matched those curtains with the living room bay window so roman shades might be nice... Those wood blinds on there now werent cheap though but they did come with the house so thankfully it wasnt my expense! I was thinking of taking that dining room light down since its so short, spray painting it black to match my bedroom ( purples greys and blacks) and hanging a new light in the dining room so some suggestions there would be great. Heres some fabric ideas for curtains for the dining room:
October 29, 2013 at 6:26am   
Collette Tattman
I was thinking of getting rid of the black leather recliner (next to the TV) but if I put up a floor to ceiling book shelf along that wall the chair could go in front. The TV is going too, I dont watch it! I was thinking the bookshelf would add visual interest.
October 29, 2013 at 6:33am   
Collette Tattman
Perhaps a built in bench reading area with Roman blinds in the Bay window? However this is my only living area for guests aside from my home theatre area downstairs so Im not sure removing the couch and replacing with a window seat would be best. So many thoughts but dont know what to do!
October 29, 2013 at 6:37am   
unwantedadvice
Collette, looking straight through your living area from tv wall, is there a solid wall or another opening? I wonder if it is a solid wall, is there room to move brown sectional along there and arrange your white furniture sort of floating towards sectional? That would leave space in front of your bookcase wall and perhaps you could keep other chair there. Just a thought for a rearrangement.
October 29, 2013 at 12:15pm   
unwantedadvice
I like both drape material but I think second one is my favorite, kinda goes with rug in l/r. I would put that along slider and yes, floor to ceiling with slight puddle, not too much. I personally would not put the same drape in l/r as I think would be too much pattern and would fight with rug. Punch, punch:) Solid drapes in l/r or something sheer since you have wooden blinds. Or new roman shades in l/r and same on French doors.
October 29, 2013 at 12:32pm   
Collette Tattman
Its another opeing on the wall opposite the TV, hallway to the front door so I havent got a great deal of options for the furniture arrangement Im afraid
October 29, 2013 at 3:44pm   
unwantedadvice
That is sooooo unfortunate! Good grief.
October 29, 2013 at 9:20pm   
unwantedadvice
Collette, is the chaise part of sectional attached? Doesn't look like it from pics, looks like two ottomans in front of couch. If that is the case how about putting brown couch in front of bay window and white couch where brown was? Perhaps white chair could stay where it is now if there is still room. I am truly trying to figure out something here:) I also noticed another ottoman to right of tv. Can that be moved somewhere else? Hope you haven't mentioned that already. Let me know. :)
October 29, 2013 at 9:34pm   
Collette Tattman
There is a chaise attached as well as an ottoman. I tried it in front of the bay window it didnt look right. I think Im stuck with it the way it is, just need to accessorize and make the best of whats there.
October 30, 2013 at 7:22am   
unwantedadvice
Well, I guess you are right, just move on and do the drapes and accessorizing. Once rug and drapes are out, should add color and interest. Plus whatever shelving unit you get. :)
October 30, 2013 at 7:36am   
Collette Tattman
Here is an after shot of my dining room. Its very cold where I live so for the winter I have the new floral curtains pulled. I still would like to cover the smaller window but not with the same material it would be too busy.
January 17, 2014 at 5:08am   
Collette Tattman
A second view
January 17, 2014 at 5:12am   
question on built in soap dispenser in kitchen island
I'm debating as to whether or not I should have a built...
Facade ideas please for an unbalanced 70s classic
Help! Our recently purchased 1970's home is in dire...
Staining Birch
In building our new home, our designer helped us choose...
what goes with a teal couch??
I have this light teal couch and love seat and have...
Dark Stone Mosaic: Leave it or paint it?
What on earth should I do with this random backsplash...