Needing help with curb appeal
tlbrower
I am needing advice/help on curb appeal! We are going to list our home very soon. In this cookie cutter neighborhood- I want mine to pop! We have deer that visit and think that I have laid out a delicious salad bar for them whenever we put out anything but yellow lantana. I am not against laying sheets out at night. The mums are pretty but they are already needing to be dead-headed & then we lose the color. We are located in San Antonio. Thanks!!
South County Rockery
First of all you have a lovely home. I can only give suggestions regarding hardscape and landscape materials.

The stone veneer on your home looks good and I would highlight as much as possible. Next, I would suggest freshening up your planting area with some new mulch. Colored chips or cedar chips would look good. A planter box in front of your porch would be a nice addition. I would specifically recommend a planter made from retaining wall. Allan Block has excellent products (photos below).

Allan Block http://www.allanblock.com/

A nice boulder would look good and create some visual interest. And, if you can afford to redo the driveway with pavers. That would make a huge difference.

Good luck with your project.

Chris
October 22, 2013 at 1:54pm     
tlbrower
Thank you Chris! Refreshing mulch is most definitely on the list. I will be sure to share this with my husband.
I am also wondering if I should paint the posts? Maybe to match the railing and shutters?
October 22, 2013 at 2:26pm   
sixmolars
I would remove the shrubs in front of the railing on the front porch to lighten that area. they have grown too tall and leggy. I'm not familiar with low growth shrubs in Texas, but 3 would do here, just enough to cover the foundation. Then give your front door a pop of color. Finally, perhaps some false hardware on your garage doors. Cut some out of black construction paper and tape it on first to see if you like the look.
October 22, 2013 at 2:47pm     
tlbrower
Thank you so much for your ideas! Great idea about the construction paper. Unfortunately due to the HOA we are very limited on changes to the front/exterior of our homes when it comes to color and garage doors. Maybe I'll try the construction paper and see if anyone notices! LOL!!
October 22, 2013 at 2:52pm     
Major Mulch Installations
A fresh application of mulch can do wonders for curb appeal. We have some of our mulch types listed on our website at http://www.majormulchorlando.com/mulch-types if you want to look for some inspiration.
October 22, 2013 at 3:26pm   
South County Rockery
I don't think you need to paint the columns. The color you have them now is fine. I would recommend just adding some color with plants in addition to what I suggested earlier.
October 22, 2013 at 4:16pm   
Judy M
I would add a larger welcome mat and an American Flag.
October 22, 2013 at 4:59pm   
HERE Design and Architecture
For sale, I would just add some flowering shrubs in brightish colors. To live in, I would change the stone veneer in the entry wall to wood and add a transom.
October 22, 2013 at 5:08pm   
tlbrower
Thank you all very much! It is so wonderful to be able to get a new pair of eyes looking at this! I'm thinking we will add color through flowers/landscaping. The stone on the house is actual stone not veneer.
October 22, 2013 at 6:19pm   
lucyhomedecor
I too would remove the shrubs in the front of the porch railing. Way to leggy. Add a few low shrubs & place a few rocks & plant a few fall flowers in between the shrubs & in the island at the front of the driveway.
October 22, 2013 at 6:29pm   
Cindy Sherman @ Kitchen & Bath Ideas
To accent the front porch, and create a more welcoming space, I would suggest getting rid of the shrubs that are pruned to small trees. They block the planters you have placed on the railing and close in the entry to the house.
I would suggest planting something low growing and colorful (ask your local nursery for something deer resistant and seasonally-hardy).
Lastly, I would place your mums at each side of the entry, rather than lining them up by your door. (If you put them up for the deer-sake, than just remember to place them out front once you have a showing scheduled)
October 22, 2013 at 6:34pm   
HERE Design and Architecture
FWIW - the stone is called veneer because it is decorative (attached to the framing) as opposed to structural. :)
October 22, 2013 at 8:07pm     
tlbrower
Thanks! Good to know! :)
October 22, 2013 at 8:16pm   
tlbrower
Hubby says he is not against pulling leggy shrubs and replacing them. Is it consensus to pull all of them?
October 22, 2013 at 8:24pm   
HERE Design and Architecture
I vote for replacement with something colorful.
October 22, 2013 at 8:26pm   
HI -- I think the house looks very nice . No construction or planters and only paint to re- fresh what's there . Just add some plants under the ones that are there to fill in so they don't look so leggy . Boston ferns or some colored crotons but do mass plantings of the same to keep it tailored looking . I would not do anything that will cost a lot or make big changes --- new owners will have their own ideas . To keep the deer away -- little bags of original scent " Irish Spring" hand soap -- 1/2 a bar in a panty hose sock tied to a stick and placed in amongst the plants . The deer don't like the smell of that soap . Dog hair will also help to keep them away. Good Luck selling your house ! PS: You can also fill in bare spots around your plants with some cedar or colored cedar chips mulch .
October 22, 2013 at 8:35pm     
Need help with color of house & trim, need CURB APPEAL!
Front door has been changed to dark walnut woodgrain...
Need some help with curb appeal!!! HELP
We are putting new siding,windows and doors in our...
How do you accessorise your bed?
Some people love piling on cushions on their beds,...
Does anyone know the name of these pavers??
I need to match these pavers.Does anyone know the name/design...
Curb Appeal: Porch or Architectural Interest?
Looking to add some architectural interest to a 1970's...
Should we do it??
Now hear me out - I'm not a fan of garage conversions...
An odd place for an ugly door, how can I camouflage it?
This door in my master leads onto the hot tub deck,...