update and brighten dining room set. green or white chairs ???
restonite
i have an old dining set that i have to keep but wanted to bring some brightness to the traditional mahogany set. should i keep the white leather chairs or the the green fabric chair. i like the design of the white chairs and they seem to brighten the darkness of the furniture. but the green ones bring carry the green accent color to the dining room and the scale seems to be more in line with the existing dining chairs. please help!!!
industrialing
Try spray painting your wooden furniture white. In the living room, there's not too much wood but in there, it's an overload
0 Likes   Thanked by restonite    October 22, 2013 at 4:58PM
Jeannie Nguyen
I love the green chairs. What a cute space!
3 Likes   Thanked by restonite    October 22, 2013 at 4:58PM
HERE Design and Architecture
It is a nice set but you have a lot going on in that room already and, despite the fact that I like them, I'm not sure I think the green or white chairs are really helping. I think if it were my space, I would consider using the original chairs with simpler upholstery on the seats.
1 Like   Thanked by restonite    October 22, 2013 at 5:03PM
restonite
micoteai - that's exactly what i wanted to do but unfortunately i i spray painted the furniture i would have to deal with an angry spouse and divorce.
0 Likes   October 22, 2013 at 5:07PM
restonite
here design. thank you for your input. do you have any suggestion on what i should use for the upholstery on the seats? would love to do it but i just reupholstered them recently. wish i knew about houzz discussions then.
0 Likes   October 22, 2013 at 5:09PM
ccahls
I just want to say that I absolutely love your chandelier! I have a Queen Anne dining room and want to bring in some modern elements. However, I still like a formal look. My vote would be the green chairs in the dining room to help blend the two rooms together. But both really work.
0 Likes   Thanked by restonite    October 22, 2013 at 5:10PM
HERE Design and Architecture
Depending on how many people you have spilling on your upholstery, you might try a geometric damask (similar to the lampshade or some of the ottomans in the living area) in a single color that related to the grey/beige you are using elsewhere? I think that might relate nicely to the metallic objects on the table as well.
0 Likes   Thanked by restonite    October 22, 2013 at 5:23PM
3144123456
Green chairs definitely. Could you remove the little tables next to the china cabinet? Seems to distract from the look. Very pretty space. Love, love, the chandelier!
1 Like   Thanked by restonite    October 22, 2013 at 5:24PM
3144123456
Also, maybe change out the pictures on either side of china cabinet to modern, matching object/prints.
1 Like   Thanked by restonite    October 22, 2013 at 5:26PM
Paint the chairs and the apron and legs of the table white. Also, bring back to the table the arm chairs which go with the other chairs. Relegate the newer chairs to the corners.

Take off the top of the china cab…that makes everything dated. Again, paint the bottom white and leave the top the stained.

All the other little fillers…remove.

0 Likes   Thanked by restonite    October 22, 2013 at 5:35PM
smusec
I like the white ones (you could always use a small pillow in the white to pull in the green color.) I feel like captains chairs should be taller than the side chairs though...a little beefer. It may help draw attention away from the wood.
1 Like   Thanked by restonite    October 22, 2013 at 7:22PM
bellesum
Do not paint the wood! You have a very nice house. I would use the original chairs at the head abd end of the table and have a pair of either green or white chairs at a spot to create a small sitting area in the dining room perhaps under the windows. You can use those extra chairs when needed. Both the white and green chairs are lovely. Love the light green accent color you have chosen for your house!
2 Likes   Thanked by restonite    October 23, 2013 at 7:40AM
I would go with the green ones on each end. I would remove all the side chairs around the room and remove the hutch from the buffet. The room just needs to be stream lined;)
2 Likes   Thanked by restonite    October 23, 2013 at 7:52AM
bschr
I think you have the makings of a great room but there are too many lamps, chairs and small tables. I love the colour scheme and your furniture.
1 Like   Thanked by restonite    October 23, 2013 at 8:01AM
restonite
i couldn't paint the wood even if wanted to due to a stubborn husband. i agree with your suggestion. as a matter of fact i was considering doing just that and your reinforcement helps! still hung up about whether green or white!
1 Like   October 23, 2013 at 8:26AM
Margaret B
GO green! I agree with Margo, simplify the room a bit to get an updated look. Remove chairs against the walls, remove small tables, remove the hutch and add the green chairs! Beautiful room, just needs some editing.
3 Likes   Thanked by restonite    October 23, 2013 at 8:34AM
bellesum
Nice! Think I will prefer the green chairs next to the window simply because at eye level, the background is predominantly white with the white window frame. So the green chairs provide some contrast.
2 Likes   Thanked by restonite    October 23, 2013 at 8:53AM
vjs12
Love the chandelier, and the green chairs by the bay window in the dining room. Do not paint that beautiful dining room set. I would put the extra wood dining room chairs; one on each side of the china cabinet. Put the black table, with the lamp, on the other side of the room below the mirror. Remove the two tables on each side of the window. The white chairs look great in the living room. Very nice spaces. (I'm convinced, I need to remove my wallpaper from my dining room)!
0 Likes   Thanked by restonite    October 23, 2013 at 10:00PM
Sandy
Your living room is gorgeous! I say green. As for your other chairs since you recently upholstered them maybe add a pop of color with smart–patterned, rectangular toss pillows (like the green one on your sofa) or consider a simple slip cover just over the seat. I made some out of vinyl (not pretty) to save my furniture when my kids were little grubbers. Slip covers in a vibrant hue might relax the room a little. You could even change them with the seasons.
0 Likes   Thanked by restonite    October 23, 2013 at 11:17PM
restonite
i tried to incorporate all of your comments and this is what i came up with that did not involve a lot of work -- just some rearranging. will have to tackle the more drastic changes after some thinking and planning. would love to hear from all of you.
1 Like   October 24, 2013 at 6:51PM
vjs12
Beautiful rooms...I love it! Please tell me the color paint used above and below the chair rail? I'm going to tackle my dining room after Christmas and remove the wallpaper. Hey, thanks for the inspiration.
0 Likes   Thanked by restonite    November 3, 2013 at 4:43PM
restonite
so glad you like it. the top color is duron agreeable gray sw 7029 and the bottom is hearts of palm SW 6415. if i had to do it over i would go a shade darker on the top in the same family -- anew gray SW7030 which is the same value as the hearts of palm.
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 5:07PM
newlifewoman
I like the hutch. It serves a purpose by storing your china. It would have to be stored somewhere. I agree with your husband, Do not paint the wood. It is real wood in great shape and the stain should be appreciated. I believe that 50 years from now, designers will cringe at all of the painted antique furniture that will need to be stripped an refinished to being it back to its original condition ( just like we when we discover someone covered up beautiful hardwood floors).
I did see a design photo where the matching dining room chairs were replaced with parson chairs and the dining room chairs were moved to go around a nice kitchen table of different color wood. I do prefer the green chair to the white. Since reupholstering them is out of the question, perhaps finding a beautiful damask floor length slip cover for the side chairs would change the look a bit.
1 Like   Thanked by restonite    November 3, 2013 at 5:20PM
How easy was that? Looks great! I am wondering if the two small wood tables that were in the dining room would work in the living room. They seem to be a better height for the arms of your gray sofa and chair than the round tables you are using. Also, as with the wood overload in the dining room (which you have nicely corrected) there is a bit of brass and glass overload in the living room. I'd like to see more of that wood sprinkled in the living area.
2 Likes   Thanked by restonite    November 3, 2013 at 5:34PM
sophie69
I love the green....the original wood ones are too busy. The solid backs of your new chairs will result in a nice clean modern look...you have a very nice home!
0 Likes   Thanked by restonite    November 3, 2013 at 5:41PM
cliffordhome
I think the room looks great with the quick changes you made. I think the chairs and hutch look classic and the room looks much more streamlined without the little tables. Very pretty.
0 Likes   Thanked by restonite    November 3, 2013 at 5:48PM
HELP! Door hardware
We are about to replace all of the old hollow brown...
Need help for small living room!
My fiance and I moved into our house a month or so...
Empty wall
Looking for a creative way to fill this wall space....
can you install a shower bench to an existing shower
We were able to expand on shower to be 5 ft x 4 ft...
Living room Couch colors and ideas
The couch set in the picture we are getting rid of......