Wrapping kitchen island in wood
wangws88
HI, I'm buying a house from a builder and they are charging ~$2400 dollars to wrap my island in a dark maple. The amount of island that will be wrapped measures about 45 square feet (15 x 3). Is this a reasonable price?
sstarr
I'm on my way right now with a car full of dark maple and my hammer.... what a deal.

Go check out the price per board foot of the wood he's putting in.
It depends somewhat on how ornate you are going with your island. Not very, I hope.
1 Like   October 22, 2013 at 7:29PM
pcmom1
Well, I just had Home Depot in to give me a quote on refacing existing cabinets in a pretty small kitchen. Their quote for that was $15000, so what can I say?

What is the existing island now? Do you have wood and are looking for a color change? If so I suggest you google "N Hance". They do color renewal, color change for kitchens. Their quote for me was $2300.
0 Likes   October 22, 2013 at 7:32PM
sstarr
pcmom1, $15K????? Astonishing. But I have never heard a "refacing" bid that I thought was reasonable. There are online sources for doors only that are closer to sanity.

This sounds like a new house, with perhaps an unfinished island?
0 Likes   October 22, 2013 at 7:41PM
wangws88
Thanks for the replies. The builder is also charging about 8k for white cabinets that reach the ceiling or 14k if I want upgraded cabinets with dovetailed, soft close, full extension drawers. If I wanted to do the island on my own, where would I get the wood to do this? The standard is just an island with drywall on two sides.
0 Likes   October 22, 2013 at 7:51PM
sstarr
Do you have to get your cabinets from this builder? Are these prices add-ons to a base price?
0 Likes   October 22, 2013 at 7:57PM
sstarr
In my town, there is a lumber yard that specializes in hardwood. Check your yellow pages for hardwood lumber. Go online and look. It's not rocket science; you can do it...
0 Likes   Thanked by wangws88    October 22, 2013 at 7:59PM
wangws88
They offer cabinets in a specific style as standard (kitchen craft), with several different types of stains as standard. If I want to build cabinets to the ceiling that's about 4-5k extra. If I want extra drawers it also adds to the base price. Upgraded drawers that are soft close, full extension dovetail are also extra. Painting the cabinets white also adds about 1k.
0 Likes   October 22, 2013 at 8:02PM
sstarr
Do you like any of the cabinets?
0 Likes   October 22, 2013 at 8:06PM
wangws88
The standard is the "Traditional" style, which actually isnt that bad. Upgrading to a different model in the Aurora line is about 2k. Upgrading to an Integra line style with upgraded drawers is about 6k extra. I think I may just get the "Traditional" since with white paint, it may be difficult to tell the difference. I do like the dovetail and full extension of the more expensive drawers. Just not sure they are work 6k extra.
0 Likes   October 22, 2013 at 8:10PM
Pataya Flooring & Stone Supply, LLC
Find yourself a small town cabinet builder. You can usually get a much better cabinet for a fair price. Box stores are over priced and never give you what you think your paying for. Kitchen cabinets is a very competitive market. When all is said and done most good companies are within a few hundred dollars of each other, not thousands of dollars.
0 Likes   October 22, 2013 at 8:17PM
pcmom1
I was going to suggest the same as Pataya above. That will be my next stop. Find some small local cabinet makers. I am going to one to see about building my island for my reno. He did built ins for my hubby's den a few years ago and it was quite reasonable.

And Starr, yes, that refacing quote just floored me. Especially since they toot themselves as "the affordable alternative". I think they only make sense if you want to keep your countertop, you are in a hurry (hosting a wedding or something and need it now!), or really don't want any disruption.
0 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 9:56AM
ruthmand
I say, get the kitchen you want NOW! Or you will have regrets for a long time, that is if you actually use your kitchen as most of us still do.
0 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 10:11AM
what should i do with the panelling?
we are replacing all trim with white wood and six panel...
Need help selecting shower door
We are in the process of upgrading our kids' bathrooms...
what to do with the panelling .
white trim and doors, hot cocos on the walls. but,...
what should i do with the panelling?
Bathroom Decor
Hello! We recently moved into a new home and I need...