Before And After Photo
Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
October 23, 2013 in Before & After
Here is a more clear Before and After
hparks74
wow the first house is almost identical to my parents home built in 1991. I like both but the transformation is very nice. Their home is only about 1900 SF so adding the second addition I'm sure really helps.
October 23, 2013 at 6:14am      Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
the essentials inside
Love it!

~Lyvonne
October 23, 2013 at 7:34am      Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
DMH DESIGN
Looks nice. Definitely more appropriate for a sunny locale.
November 4, 2013 at 9:03pm      Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
brad2070
Wow. Unbelievable...
November 9, 2013 at 11:44pm      Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Snaggy
don't like it
November 10, 2013 at 3:31am     
Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Snaggy , Was it something specific that you did not like about this renovation?
November 10, 2013 at 8:10am   
sehen1
Love it
November 10, 2013 at 8:19am      Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
hs350
Gorgeous!!
November 10, 2013 at 9:47am      Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
rosecottagehome
Was this project a tear down and rebuild? Amazing!
November 10, 2013 at 1:32pm      Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Advantage Developer & Constructor
The finished house is very nice...congrats! I think itwas a teardown , right?
November 10, 2013 at 3:07pm      Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
No, Not a tear down in fact all exterior walls were used. We have done several of this type of Renovation or Substantial Improvement. Please review our Houzz Page
November 10, 2013 at 4:01pm     
Studio NOO Design
Is this the same house ? Looks great, love the yellow
November 10, 2013 at 4:59pm      Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Advantage Developer & Constructor
Is this CBS or else ? The improvements are great ! You did it very nice. Once again -great job !
November 10, 2013 at 8:32pm      Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Snaggy
Bay Area Design of the Berkshires.... Just dont like the style or the windows !
November 11, 2013 at 4:29am      Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Thanks for responding back, one of the windows in the front was not sized the way it was originally designed but the owner is Happy with their changes..... Happy Client
November 11, 2013 at 5:05am   
Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
And Yes, this was Masonry Construction on the first floor
November 11, 2013 at 5:09am   
Patricia Pelgrims
I find it a strange makeover. Why not tear down the old one completely and start afresh. Nothing, bar maybe a few walls is still standing. There is also nothing recognizable from the old house.
November 11, 2013 at 5:29am     
dianahb
I agree with above. I find transformations like this-- just way over the top. At least this probably looks out on water (?)-- which make a little bit of sense, I guess. If not-- then I don't know. I rather liked the original house, and I think that could have been renovated very nicely and still maintained its integrity. Glad the client is happy, and I'm sure you all did a stellar job-- but I bet the neighbors are less than thrilled-- unless this is the way the whole street is going.

We see this a lot (and we're not near water), where the owners/buyers basically buy for the location/lot, tear down what's there, and then build something that makes them think they're living in Spain or Morocco-- or, gosh-- I don't know what type of style this is. The result typically doesn't fit in, at all, with the surrounding area. Not sure why you even kept any part of the original house, unless the foundation and walls made it easier to tack on this structure. I really believe that in about 10 years time, or less, these types of houses will begin to look seriously out of place, and dated. Already, it looks like something that was constructed in the 90's when people had money to burn.
November 11, 2013 at 5:45am     
Snaggy
As long as the Client is happy that's all that matters !
November 11, 2013 at 5:53am     
Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Thank you for your question. Their were many factors involved here. First if this house was torn down, the new structure would have been Taxed at a higher rate because it would be a new dwelling not a remodeled existing structure. We used all four exterior walls, but it still would be classified a remodel if we only left one wall standing. Second the old house encroached on today's new side setbacks but as a remodel we were allowed to build right on top of those walls. Third since it was a remodel we were not subjected to new impact fees. This all may seem pety when somebody is building a million dollar house on the water with similar neighbors but this is what I was hired to do. Thank you all for you comments, good and bad . I love reading them
November 11, 2013 at 5:56am     
Patricia Pelgrims
To be fair, this really is not a remodel. And yes, Bay Area Design, it does sound petty for a one million dollar design.
I am sorry to sound so blunt, but I think the house is nothing more than a McMansion
November 11, 2013 at 6:06am     
rosecottagehome
The client obviously had the money to do such an elaborate " remodel", as it is classified as such because existing walls were left and Bay Area Design were hired to do the remodel and work. Neighbors are likely notified by the area's planning department with the intended proposed plan, to have their chance to say yea, or nay. Job well done, client probably happy. Why do people get so annoyed about this?
November 11, 2013 at 6:34am        Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Thank you , this home by the way is one of the smaller McMansions on the street of waterfront homes. The drive-thu window is on back side! Lol
November 11, 2013 at 7:00am     
www.kuhnishkaf.ru
well you got it, fellows, and further
November 11, 2013 at 7:03am      Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
dianahb
rosecottagehome: I think "people get so annoyed about this," because we've probably lived in neighborhoods where people did this. Here's one scenario that might possibly cause annoyance: You move into a lovely old neighborhood, with 100-year old oak trees-- the houses, both small and large, are truly lovely, and people have kept them looking nice, renovating when necessary, yet maintaining the integrity of the homes, the streets, the neighborhood. It could be a neighborhood/street where houses were built around 1910 or 1920, and the 100 year old oaks provide this gorgeous canopy as you walk or ride through-- offering beautiful filtered light.

So people typically choose to move into a neighborhood like this, because they like the mix of older homes-- some large, some small-- but all in good shape-- or they like old mature trees, or they like that sidewalks still exist in their neighborhood, or maybe they just like being within walking distance to shops.

So a house comes on the market in this lovely neighborhood-- a very well-built, structurally sound 1920 house, with great bones. It's been very well-maintained-- nice set-back from the street, big old trees and maybe a couple of dogwoods in the yard, maybe even walnut or pecan trees. Maybe it's not as modern on the inside as someone would like-- but renovation (not extensive) is always a possibility. Someone moves in from another state (like CA, for instance), where real estate is so high-- that to move anywhere else seems like a dream (in terms of $$$ real estate). They like the neighborhood described above-- and they see their dream location (not dream house, but dream location). So they come in, buy this lovely home, proceed to tear it down (along with some 100-year old oaks), and basically build something truly over-sized. Not only does it not fit the lot size, but it really doesn't fit the neighborhood, either. They've torn down all the trees to build this McMansion, and so now you've altered the street considerably. Get two more buyers to do that, and you're significantly altered the look of a single neighborhood-- for no good reason, other than you had money and bad taste.

I suspect annoyance also stems from the fact that when a house is structurally sound-- a house that's been maintained and has existed for nearly 100 years-- is torn down simply because someone can-- well, it's something I simply do not understand. There's a certain lack of respect for houses of a certain era, I guess-- and for a particular neighborhood-- and for the people who already live in the neighborhood.

Those are just some of the reasons I think "people get so annoyed by this." Besides that, this house just screams, "Look at me! Look at me! I have new money, and I got it to burn!"
November 11, 2013 at 7:04am     
rosecottagehome
Ageed dianahb. If I lived on that beautiful old town street you describe I would have been at the town hall planning meeting " annoyed", to give my nays for the out of size and character new build encroaching on my historical block. This very thing started to happen in the city I use to live. Thus the " Heritage Preservation" Committee formed to protect historical structures. Even if it is not an older historical neighborhood, in Ontario Canada where I live, proposals for a rebuild or big remodels like Bay Area Design did, would be put out to many neighboring homes and residents invited to give feedback if they so wish, before approval and a permit for such a project would be granted. Many moves in the right direction by local councils to avert what you describe.
November 11, 2013 at 7:24am     
Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
I think this was a great topic everybody has strong opinions, we also can do charming , just saying.
November 11, 2013 at 7:43am     
dianahb
Bay Area Design: Nicely done. :) I think this is the sort of transformation that is probably in keeping with the surrounding area and that respects the lot, the neighborhood, the original bones of the house, etc. Thanks for posting that. Oh-- and nice that you kept that big old tree, too.

rosecottagehome: Yes; I would like to think people would be down at the town council in droves, screaming about the injustice of it all. :) Well, I sure would have. I think the other aspect that people don't often realize is that when it comes to renovating an older home that might be recognized locally, or state-wide, as a historic district-- that to make any renovations (but not changing drastically the look of the structure)-- you will usually get a tax write-off for maintaining an older home. When we renovated our detached (1927) garage into a working studio and office for me, the contractor realized that we were in a state-recognized (not local) historic district-- which we did not even know. Consequently, because we kept the look of the exterior the same (except for putting in new windows, new roof, and carriage doors-- but all in keeping with the era of the house and that detached structure)-- we received a substantial tax refund (doled out over 5 years) that paid for a good part of that renovation. Many people might have looked at that structure and decided to tear it down and start over.
November 11, 2013 at 8:00am     
clairebrody
Wow! Where can I view more of your projects?
November 11, 2013 at 8:09am      Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Bay Area Design of the Berkshires: Projects and Ideabooks or you can hire them. HaHa!
November 11, 2013 at 8:25am     
Patricia Pelgrims
Bay Area Design, I am glad you showed us another remodel. Haha !
I am not saying you are not a capable company of Architects/designers. But if I were one I would be more selective in what I wanted to design. And the house that is the topic of this thread is just so ostentatious beyond belief.
I have been looking up which area you operate and the only thing I can think of is New England style. Now I hope the house you remodeled is somewhere in the Southern parts of the USA where it is 'somewhat' more appropriate. ;)
November 11, 2013 at 9:03am   
bungalowmo
Looks like a demo/rebuild. Not the same house at all.
November 11, 2013 at 9:17am   
dianahb
Patricia: In my "southern part of the USA," the first picture would not be somewhat appropriate. That's not to say it hasn't been done, of course. Maybe you mean much further-- as in-- way south, ya'll. :)
November 11, 2013 at 9:58am     
andj32
I don't know why people are getting so mad over this. From what it looks like in the first picture, there is a similar "McMansion" (a very overused term, btw.) right next door to begin with. Ever consider this home was the odd one out? Also, the original home is (forgive me..) UGLY. The extended roofs over the windows don't help much, either. I think this renovation was executed well and at least the finished product gives the eyes something to look at other than a rectangle with a garage that takes up half the elevation. To the designer, good job; tastefully done.
November 11, 2013 at 10:17am        Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Well location does play a role here but if it's bad architecture nobody wants to share that zip code. Those that have followed us are aware that we schooled in New England moved to the Tampa Bay Area of Florida for 25 years then back to New England with my Family. This project wasn't ostentatious but this next one was!
November 11, 2013 at 10:38am   
andj32
I can understand getting upset over something like that ^
November 11, 2013 at 10:57am      Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Bianca Dasilva for Ethan Allen Orlando
I love how the remodel turned out. I personally love Mediterranean homes and that I can still see the resemblance to the original home when you show the photos side by side. It a beautiful home and no surprise that the client is thrilled!
November 11, 2013 at 11:09am      Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Mega Builders
Very nice!
November 11, 2013 at 11:19am      Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Coming from you guys that means a great deal.
November 11, 2013 at 11:37am   
Circle Goods Reclaimed
This was about the most interesting discussion I have seen on a transformation of a house like this. There seemed to be a lot of problem with the size and style but from the setting described I have absolutely no problem with that. I just wanted to say nice job! haha
November 11, 2013 at 1:37pm      Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
rosecottagehome
Bay Area you do like to pull chains! LOL
November 11, 2013 at 1:44pm      Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
asongforxx
Wow. Incredible transformation and a bit ostentatious for my taste, but I know how common "that look" is in that area, and the existing house was nothing special. Well done.
November 11, 2013 at 3:23pm        Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
rosecottagehome what? me? This was very captivating to me I must admit, I couldn't wait to see the next comment.
November 11, 2013 at 3:28pm     
cani
Wow, I love it! Soon as I win the lotto I'll call you, and I wouldn't care what my neighbors think. All of your transformations are incredible.
December 8, 2013 at 12:29am        Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Linkstar Industry Co., Ltd.
It seems that the building is transformed form the old world into that of 21 new century. It's amazing. Good job, your guys.
December 8, 2013 at 12:47am        Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Dia Dailey
Hard to believe it's the same house...amazing design
December 27, 2013 at 8:01pm      Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
grobby
Totally transformed and beautiful.
December 27, 2013 at 8:05pm      Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Michael Lee, Inc
What a great transformation! Beautiful work and amazing
December 27, 2013 at 8:13pm        Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
mainstreetschool
Great job Bay Area Builders! Since quality waterfront property is at a premium in the Tampa Bay/St Petersburg area, many homeowners are doing this extensive remodeling for all the reasons you touched on. Also, elevation is grandfathered in when you keep existing walls. Many waterfront homes in a specific neighborhood are expanded this way. I enjoy checking out the changes when I visit my old neighborhood.
December 30, 2013 at 6:20pm      Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Northwest Elements Home Design Inc
The photo transformation totally made my mouth drop....great job!
December 30, 2013 at 10:23pm      Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
megcblu
The first house was so entirely lacking in architectural merit that just about anything would have been an improvement. The early 90s was not a high point for home design. I can understand getting upset when people mansionize quality older homes but this was clearly not the case. The new house is not to my personal taste but its still way better than before. I cant imagine the before house was doing much to bring up the neighborhood home values either. I only see the one pic of each so it's hard to tell if either house was cohesive with the neighborhood. Btw are you in Florida or the northeast? Hard to tell from the various posts.
December 30, 2013 at 10:52pm        Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Thank you megcblu, We work in both regions. The home is in Florida and most of the homes on this street are similar to the After photo.
December 31, 2013 at 6:03am     
handymam
I am always amazed by your work Bay Area! And now, I am amazed, in a bad way, at the comments of people that are not really commenting on your work, but what they dislike about people getting what they want in a house. Things may not be my taste in every case, but your transformations are always well done. I don't look at your work to decide whether it fits in the neighborhood or "ruins" the neighborhood. I enjoy your transformations for what you are able to do creatively to mostly dull or downright ugly houses!
December 31, 2013 at 6:18am   
Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Agree, I truly feel that I am Helping my Clients take pride in the Home that they are raising their children in. I will keep posting and all comments are welcomed, Honestly.
December 31, 2013 at 6:24am     
merrigay
I'd be happy to take any of these transformations but especially the "charming" one.
December 31, 2013 at 8:36am      Thanked by Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Before And After Photo
Client wanted to improve the look of there Ranch House...
Before And After Photo
Homeowner wanted an updated look with windows for their...
Living room before and after photos
The home had carpet in the living room, dining room,...
Counter top on front-load washer/dryer
I have always thought I would want a countertop on...
Need help selecting sofa that is scratch proof!
I am on the hunt for a new sofa and really want something...
Ranch house exterior update!
I plan to add a 2 1/2 car garage, an office and a backyard...
Need to check CNC art work at wood for interior modern style
Please need your advice with attached photoes for cnc...
Storage issue in bedroom
I want a modern set of wardrobes which has female and...