Need help decorating my foyer!
teambell
October 23, 2013
Our front door opens right into our great room and I'm struggling with what to place on the walls, and scale. I would like some sort of bench for when people put on and off their shoes. We have a coat closet, but is around the corner, so don't know if I want to add anything there for that purpose. I'm not a big fan of seeing coats in open areas. The house is still a work in progress, so please don't be too critical :) To the left of the front door is a bay window that I plan on putting two chairs with a table in between. The last picture is what you see when you walk in the door - the fireplace. The foyer dimensions are.... tile area: 4' x 9'. Wall on left side of door: 5'9". Rest of walls are 4' wide. Ceilings are 9' high - then vaulted.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
I would place a half height storage unit towards the right side of the front door to provide somewhere to place your shoes.
    Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 8:10AM
topjoey1
what a beautiful room to enter into your home! I am glad you added that picture it certainly gives decorating the entrance a more complete idea of what you need. The first thing I think is lighting, in the 3rd picture is that a canned light in the ceiling and what direction is it facing?
A 3 drawer type dresser on the wall would work for some storage of gloves, scarves, etc., and a lamp with a stack of books and then a large piece of art on the wall. If that light in the ceiling is pointed toward the wall it would highlight the artwork nicely. If it points down toward the floor the lamp would take care of the corner, the artwork and the dresser.
I think it would need to be large scale for all of the pieces to accent your large fireplace wall. I am sure there may be some great photos for ideas on the Houzz website too. Good luck!
    Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 8:10AM
teambell
topjoey1 - which side would you place the table? Can light faces down to floor.
    Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 8:14AM
topjoey1
I think you were talking about a table and 2 chairs between the door and the window? I think it might be nice to place it in front of the window, thinking of it as another seating area or a place to play a board game, etc. A lamp on that table would be a thought too.
Since the light faces down, I think I would try (I am thinking of a heavy, chunky looking piece of furniture with a substantial lamp) on the left side of the door. Colorful artwork or strong colors would be my choice above it.
    Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 6:41PM
janeinfo
Check out this picture on houzz where the homeowner used a foyer table to define the entryway space. You could also put a large wall mirror on the wall the door opens onto.

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 6:53PM