need help with shower niche!
lbokser
This is what my shower niche looks like (before grouting). I do not like the rough/raw edge showing on the top and bottom but my contractor is telling me nothing can be done due to the type of tile that was selected. my designer did not give me a heads up either. she chose a Nemo Tile Volcano Bianca ceramic tile for the floors and the shower walls. please advise!! thank you!
Amy Cali
Glad you stopped while you still have options. Check out the link above to a similar dilemma. You should find some help there.
October 23, 2013 at 8:57AM        Thanked by lbokser
rgkDESIGNS, Inc.
make it all like your sides and it will be fine :)
October 23, 2013 at 1:35PM      Thanked by lbokser
Tileworks Limited
You can use marble or limestone sills and cut them down. The material is very soft. You can wet sand the edge to get you the look you want.
October 23, 2013 at 2:58PM      Thanked by lbokser
Studio NOO Design
No, you need to ask him to install Schluter edges, like here

October 23, 2013 at 3:10PM        Thanked by lbokser
yoboseiyo
what is it with contractors lately leaving things like this?
i had 2 separate people come into the tile store i work in just this week with this same problem. ugh.

are those taped pieces mortared in?
if so, they need to be ripped out and either a bullnose needs to be put on them (looks like they're through-color, so this should be possible), or some kind of trim piece like a schluter needs to be used.
October 23, 2013 at 3:12PM        Thanked by lbokser
hazeldazel
it's not so difficult, just have your contractor slightly trim the pieces at the top and bottom so they can be recessed like the sides are. If he can do it on the sides, then he can do it on the top and bottom. Will it take a little extra work to make it how you want? Yes, but he should have planned for it this way in the beginning. I would be PO'd too, and PO'd if I had to resort to a Schluter edge. Sloppy planning on his part.

Very pretty tile!
October 23, 2013 at 4:09PM      Thanked by lbokser
Creative Ceramic & Marble
Here's a folder of niches you can get ideas from. Suffice to say the bottom (shelf) should be a piece of stone (I usually use something to match the vanity top), and the top and two sides should be pulled down and mitered.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.555406961198479.1073741833.165818890157290&type=1¬if_t=like
October 23, 2013 at 4:31PM      Thanked by lbokser
rgkDESIGNS, Inc.
@Creative...mitered? Next youll be proposing sealing grout, or even worse! :) but yes a miterted outside corner is cleanest. The shelf is a design prefrence and could be a nice touch.
October 23, 2013 at 6:20PM        Thanked by lbokser
lbokser
Thank you all for the comments and advice! Very much appreciated.
@hazeldazel - I like your idea, but the niche is so small as it is that I'm concerned trimming and recessing the bottom would make the shelf even narrower (it just barely fits my soap bottle now). I do think it would fine to do for the top piece, which is more of an eye sore
than the bottom. Planning to discuss with contractor today, wish me luck!

@rgkDESIGNS - I wish I could make the top and bottom like the sides, but they are not the same size. The top/bottom are longer, therefore need to use the 24" side of the tile, not the 12" side.
October 24, 2013 at 7:15AM   
rgkDESIGNS, Inc.
@lbokser - what I meant is that the front-facing-tile should cover the niche top/bottom tile edge, as on the sides. So if redoing the tile is out, he should recess the top/bottom tile by it's thickness. The tile is great and from what seen here will be a nice clean contemporary look.
October 24, 2013 at 7:22AM   
Creative Ceramic & Marble
I agree on the top and sides. but the shelf should overlap the wall. Otherwise stuff will get caught in that joint. As shown in this pic:
October 24, 2013 at 7:31AM   
rgkDESIGNS, Inc.
@creative looks great in yours cause its color-through, here it's going to look a bit unfinished at the bottom? And will it be any different than the shower floor grout lines? just a quick swipe/rinse.. ( maybe a nice 'sill' - black/dark grey would look nice to accent or something in the tile color range to blend in? )
October 24, 2013 at 7:43AM   
Creative Ceramic & Marble
You don't even need to pull the shelf tile. You can rabbit a piece of 3 cm stone to cap the tile that's there, and simply install it right over the existing tile. Nothing shows, and it's a beautiful thing.
October 24, 2013 at 8:01AM   
rgkDESIGNS, Inc.
@creative of course you are right, just that there was a clearance issue so the more height the better is all...
October 24, 2013 at 8:05AM     
hazeldazel
Ibokser, no I meant that the tile that you would rest the shampoo on should be trimmed (probably so slightly that maybe it could just be sanded down) so that the tile would fit within the tiles that are on the wall (instead of sitting on top of them). See how the tiles on the left and right are sitting inside the wall tile? That's how the top and bottom should be too. Ideally, they would be mitered, but if that cannot be done, then have the sides of the niche sit flush with the tiles on the shower wall. The size of the niche will remain the same.
October 24, 2013 at 11:50AM   
123 Remodeling Inc.
The correct was would be to do it like what @rgkDESIGNS, Inc. said but at this point since the wall tile has already been installed the best solution would be to do what @Tileworks Limited suggested but finding a matching color might be the issue.
October 24, 2013 at 11:56AM   
incubus_of_habit
At this point (which as other's have said, is way too late and is really due to bad planning on the tiler's part) I'd suggest something like Tileworks Limited's answer but go around all four sides. It'd form a bit of a 'shadow box' effect.
October 24, 2013 at 12:59PM   
Need help with shower niche
Presently building a 4 x 5 shower, faucets on the left...
Need help attaching glass shelves to a shower niche
Hello all. I need help attaching glass shelves to...
need help designing a shower niche
I'm retiling my bathroom with subway tile and my wife...
Help needed with Shower Niche nightmare!
My husband, is planning to leave the raw edge on the...
No shower niche, need place for shampoo, soap
My guest shower does not have a niche for soap and...
Buffet turned into an island
I really like how my project turned out. Just seems...
Please help with my lounge room
Hello! I'm needing some help with interior decorating,...
Need help with paint color
Hi everyone! We just moved and we are trying to put...
Bathroom window
We need a window covering of some type on our bathroom...
POLL: Who's the messy one in your house?
Even in a house full of neatniks, there is ALWAYS one...