Need help with bathroom/kitchen metal finishes..
sarah_heinrich
I'm thinking of choosing a nickel finish for the faucets throughout a new house, but we decided on an oil rubbed bronze finish for all the lighting fixtures and cabinet drawer handles because of our cabinet and granite color. How much does it really matter if we have two different finishes in a bathroom or kitchen?
Main Line Kitchen Design
It's a matter of personal preference. Using different finishes will be perceived as eclectic. From experience I would predict that todays eclectic is tomorrows "taste challenged". But I will be disagreed with by many pros and homeowners alike. As a badge of honor I would tell you that over 30 years I never recommended Golden Oak cabinetry, Thrermafoil, Gold or polished brass fixtures and handles, or pickled anything. That advice worked out well, time will tell.
1 Like   October 23, 2013 at 11:41AM
I too like some degree of consistency, at least in the same room, but it depends a bit on what your sink is made of and what kind of appliances you have. In your kitchen, if your sink and appliances are both stainless steel, then I think a ORB faucet would not look as good as a stainless or nickel one, and there will be consistency of finishes between the appliances and faucet. In the bathroom, OTOH, I assume the finishes will be nickel throughout, yes? Or are you mixing ORB and nickel there too?
1 Like   October 23, 2013 at 11:52AM
sarah_heinrich
Feeny, lighting above the vanity bathrooms would be ORB, but the faucets we had originally picked out were nickel. Would this be too noticeable in a small space like that? And I do agree with your statement about the kitchen, because the appliances are stainless steel.
0 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 12:04PM
Main Line Kitchen Design
Some of the oil rubbed bronze finishes are almost black in which case the contrast is fine in the kitchen with the stainless appliances I think, and if everything goes as you say maybe a nice subtle touch. I still don't like it in a bathroom though. But as I said - I am a bit of a fuddy duddy
1 Like   October 23, 2013 at 1:47PM
Diane
I was just having this discussion with a retailer of historic hardware/lights. I need to replace hinges, door knobs etc and I as well have oil rubbed bronze lights that were expensive from that store and have no plans to switch them. The are nice but as my tastes have changed I would like to used a burnished bronze which is way less contrasting. She said that was perfectly acceptable and the oil rub reads almost a black. She also commented that polished nickel with a bit of yellow to it would also be nice. Alas, I left without anything because it is an expensive endeavor and the thought of mismatched everything kind of made me break out in a sweat. As a side note, I have polished chrome in my bath and kitchen and have always liked the clean, sanitary feel it has.......good luck!
1 Like   October 23, 2013 at 1:59PM
Vincent Longo Custom Builders
That is a great question! It ultimately does depend on personal preference. I recently completed a model luxury home in which we went with brushed nickel on most of the fixtures, handles faucets and etc. however in the kitchen we incorporated a shiny chrome Grohe faucet which really stole the show because it stood out and made a terrific statement.. Keep in mind I probably wouldn't have done this with Oil Rubbed Bronze, it seems to work best with the chrome and brushed nickel finishes...
1 Like   October 23, 2013 at 2:44PM
While I think that lighting is the element of the room that is least important to match to the hardware or faucets, I have to admit if it were my bathroom I would probably want the lighting to match the finishes on the other metal elements in the room. It would be one thing if you were contemplating, for example, a Craftsman style bathroom with wrought iron or ORB lights and handles for the wood cupboards, and then nickel faucets and shower head, etc. But if everything except the light fixture is going to be nickel, and then the light fixture is the only ORB feature in the small bathroom, it feels to me like it isn't an ideal combination. This is just my individual opinion, however. Some people are much more relaxed about using a variety of finishes in the same room. I want there to be purposeful repetition.
0 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 3:41PM
bathroom/kitchen - HELP!
Adding a mother-in-law suite and need ideas for the...
rbs services inc.
Need help mixing metal finishes in bathroom
I am having trouble choosing the right metal finishes...
lollymay80
Need help in faucet finishes in kitchen and bathrooms. Do they match?
We are doing a white kitchen with the black and white...
mamabear03
Building a new home need help with metal finishes
Chose oil rubbed bronze door handles and hinges, but...
Nancy Flynn
Family Room
I need guidance on wall art, area rug, and throw pillows....
jschlemm
Need master bedroom furniture help!!
Hi there- we just upgraded to a king size mattress/...
brockwem
Renting and updating
Hi all, would love some assistance! I will be renting...
Lyndell Blair
Vintage Design Living Room with Chesterfield Sofa
Every people are created uniquely and some people or...
Locus Habitat
Need help for mater bathroom above the mirro
I am looking for a fixture that will give good light...
peggyjanescott