Need help with boring hallway
allgarden
October 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm not sure what to do with this hallway/landing. There is two bedroom doors one in view and the other at the end of the hall. The landing is open to the familyroom below. The house is rustic/organic with a lot of natural wood expect upstairs. Any Ideas?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
motownmom
You have a pretty large hallway. I might put a small chair next to the table & lamp, making it look like a little reading area.

The other option is to get something much larger, almost like a bureau or chest of drawers, and put the lamp on it. I never have enough storage in my home, and placed a 5 foot tall cabinet in a similar area in my home for some extra storage when guests visit, for things like blankets & towels. If you do that, then you could put the small table & lamp in the corner with a very small chair next to it. No one has to sit there, but it takes up space, LOL.
October 23, 2013 at 2:16pm      Thanked by allgarden
PRO
DMH DESIGN
I suggest a row of bookcases with shelves for the top half with doors/drawers along the bottom on both sides of the door in the center. Your hall looks to be over 4' (verify) in width, and as such could accommodate built in shelves very nicely. An armchair with a table & lamp in the area of the mirror, if it works with the circulation would be nice--I can't see to the left, but assume it goes to other bedrooms?
October 23, 2013 at 2:23pm      Thanked by allgarden
PRO
POLKA GIRL DESIGN
I agree the hall table is too small and light to carry such a long space. If you can't replace it, try a chair on each side with cushions that add some color. I think your mirror is too high, bring it down about 10" or so it's highest point is just above the lamp. Or have you thought of buying a colorful piece of art in it's place? I'd also consider buying a matching pair of candlestick lamps to get more umph here too. You could purchase fabric covered shades for more interest and depth. And a low decorative bowl with objects in between would add a finishing touch.
October 23, 2013 at 2:24pm      Thanked by allgarden
yoboseiyo
in the corner i can see, i would do a small arm chair and a floor lamp for a little reading area.

and i love the idea of the bookshelves where the console is now, if you've got the depth for it.
October 23, 2013 at 2:40pm      Thanked by allgarden
smileyface2013
This space needs a large piece of art or a tapestry. Then decorate around that.
October 23, 2013 at 2:43pm      Thanked by allgarden
PRO
Gantt's Decorating
If you would use it, I'd put in floor to ceiling book cases and a small reading area. You could carry out your "rustic theme" and create some useful space. Lining walls with bookcases will also help buffer noise that would come up the steps.
October 23, 2013 at 3:30pm      Thanked by allgarden