Update Living Room (we are buying this house; not our stuff)
riversideremodel
I could use some ideas for this living room. I want to remove the curtains but leave the blinds (I can't even tell what they are made of because I took these photos on our walk-through), add tropical beach colors, and use the kitchen cabinets for a This Old House style window seat and bookcases along one wall. We have a ton of books and want to use this room as the quiet away room/library.
Whispar Design
The window seat idea is a good one. After removing the curtains, one option you might consider to accent the blinds is add stationary panels to frame the window similar to this one with blinds: Cornice Window Treatments - Home Office or this one if you imagine blinds are in the windows :) cornice-window-treatment2.jpg

The ceiling fan could use some updating or taken out all together in place of a flush mount or semi-flush mount.
A few coastal-inspired themed rooms:
Cottage on the beach Sullivans Island Cottage
Not sure what you have for bookcases but the beadboard panelling behind these give a nice tropical cottage feel.
Living Room
October 23, 2013 at 5:33pm      Thanked by riversideremodel
leelee
Remove curtains and vertical blinds. Replace with white wood blinds. Replace ceiling fan with one without frilly lights or better yet, no lights at all. Before you move in would be a good time to get rid of the popcorn ceiling. Replace carpet with terra cotta tile.
October 23, 2013 at 5:58pm      Thanked by riversideremodel
leelee
Find some great art. Add live plants.
October 23, 2013 at 6:01pm      Thanked by riversideremodel
Are you developing a color story for your public spaces? The light straw tones in natural matchstick blinds, blue-greens from spa to aqua to teal blues and creamy off-white all send those signals. Ikea has some terrific white duck slipcovered chairs and sofas in the ektorp line, BM has some gorgeous blu-green tones for walls that would be gorgeous against the wood tones in the hallway or with painted trim. Love the bookcase / window seat idea go wide and pick out a fabulous indoor outdoor fabric for the seat cushion.
October 23, 2013 at 6:42pm      Thanked by riversideremodel
karemore55
Riversideremodel, Hi there! If this room will be a quiet sitting/reading area, I can see why you want to build a window seat. What a great spot to curl up and read! Not sure where you plan to locate it, but I assume you mean along that front window (from the pics, it looks like there are two windows?), with the bookcases framing it on each side? If that's the plan, maybe consider hardwiring a sconce light on each side of the bookcases to use as a reading lamp.

For the rest of the room, I picture a couple of comfy armchairs or rocking chairs - maybe even a few of them - grouped around a substantial table - a trunk, or a large round table maybe - and a couple of moveable side tables for setting down drinks. A couple of small ottomans that can be used where needed add to the leisurely mood and at least one floor lamp and maybe a table lamp somewhere in the room should give you lots of light for reading. As suggested earlier, changing out the overhead for a drum shade would update and change the vibe of this room. Wicker roman shades add texture and more of the tropical feel you are after. You could also throw down an indoor/outdoor rug in a cabana stripe over top of the wall-to-wall carpeting. A piece of art reflecting the tropical theme, and a mirror to bounce around light will cozy things up even more. And don't forget to put all lighting on dimmer switches!

I did a couple of collages with a color scheme of taupe, blue and coral to inspire you. This is just a start - the possibilities are endless. Congrats on your new home!
October 23, 2013 at 6:50pm      Thanked by riversideremodel
riversideremodel
Wow! So many talented decorating ideas! Thank you all so much. The term color story is new to me, but I think I know what you mean. I looked at and loved your cottage on the beach look before even reading the full post, Whispar Design. Thank you!
And the ceiling fan and popcorn ceiling--yes, both must go.
This is a hot climate, so we need to keep the fan to move the air, but the fan leelee posted and even more the one you suggested without the light sounds like a great idea. Large tropical plants and images for the walls--absolutely. The dark wood, white slipcovers, wood blinds or shutters, and large-leafed plants say tropical to me.
Wow, caremore55, thanks for getting those images together. I love the rocker with the tufted seat. The curve says comfort, which is so important when settling in with a good book.
I'm attaching the color families I've already found on houzz. I'm having a hard time deciding between the final three. I'm also attaching fuzzy photos of the plates I bought (but don't have; they are still in the shipping container crossing the Pacific) and want to base the color scheme on. The colors I am trying to recreate are from my memories of my favorite beach in the South Pacific just before sunset. Australia's east coast, so I'm not facing the sunset, but the gorgeous corals and salmons are present, along with the pale teal water, the golden sand, and maybe even the pale gray-green of the eucalyptus leaves. These are too many colors, so I need to narrow it down. I'm thinking a sand for the common spaces and most ceilings, coral and pale teal for I'm not sure what, dark brown for floors and I'm not sure what else. You can see a lot of I'm not sure about using color here. But I love color and am not afraid to go bold.
One final question: What is the best way to get rid of popcorn ceilings? Is this a DYI project that I can rent tools for, or is it worth it to hire this job out?
October 24, 2013 at 9:41am   
riversideremodel
I couldn't attach all the plates in the last post, so here are the others. Like I said, I like color and don't mind going bold.
October 24, 2013 at 9:41am   
riversideremodel
False claim. The color palettes are from Pinterest.
October 24, 2013 at 10:24am   
karemore55
Riversideremodel, Love the colors you are gravitating toward! I would pull the neutrals from either of those color strips and use combinations of these on walls and main furniture. Then use your corals, teals and brighter colors for pillows, art, etc. Rug is debatable - you can get a nice bold rug that you love and just pull colors from it to create your story (libradesigneye's words - giving credit where it is due!). Or you can keep the rug soft and neutral, which might be a better way to go in a "quiet" room. Personally, I like neutral rugs so I can change up my look frequently without starting fresh. You could lay a sisal/jute rug, or an indoor/outdoor rug for a more tropical look.
October 24, 2013 at 11:28am        Thanked by riversideremodel
karemore55
Meant to comment on popcorn ceilings. Scraping it off can be messy and frustrating, especially if the ceiling has ever been painted. In our last home, our contractor recommended just drywall ing right over the existing popcorn ceiling and starting fresh. You would only lose at most an inch of ceiling height doing it this way. We never did follow through, btw - ended up selling.
October 24, 2013 at 11:31am        Thanked by riversideremodel
riversideremodel
I like the idea of leaving the flooring as it is for now. The whole house is white, so everything needs color and updating. Before spending the money on a rug, there are a lot of other things this house needs help with. The kitchen, the family room, the patio . . . Those ideas are tied in with the colors and theme for this room. I figure that I will pin the overall color scheme down and choose the theme for the living room and then echo off that in the other rooms.
I need to address the popcorn ceiling, though. I hadn't planned on a drywalling experience, but it would get rid of the popcorn ceiling much more quickly and without the mess of scraping it off.
October 24, 2013 at 11:52am     
Budget My Build
I like where your going with the colors, very vibrant.
As far as the ceiling we have a step by step blog about removing your popcorn ceiling that may be helpful, it is a messy job, but well worth it in the end. http://budgetmybuild.co/roofing/how-to-remove-popcorn-ceiling/
October 24, 2013 at 11:59am        Thanked by riversideremodel
riversideremodel
Thanks Budget My Build. I don't recall if every ceiling in the house has popcorn ceilings or not. I would guess that if one room does, they all do. I'll study the blog and roll up my sleeves.
October 24, 2013 at 12:23pm   
When they have been painted over with oil paint / old paint, they can be tougher - but you can also create a more 1/2 smooth 1/4 mostly smooth 1/4 flattish texture by going over it with a trowel and joint compound / wall filler . . you can even buy it in small amounts with primer in it .. . but this is a job for a scaffold so you don't end up at the chiropractor.
Something neutral that flows through the house - classic, manchester tan, edgecomb gray (warm grays, soft, but with depth).
October 26, 2013 at 3:49am        Thanked by riversideremodel
riversideremodel
libradesigneye, I imagine this is the case. An older couple has lived in this home for 20 years and told us they haven't painted anything since moving in. The paint is in good condition as they have lived gently in the house, but it is very old paint. Luckily all the walls are white, so a scrub, a primer (maybe), and then color! I'll have to look up your colors; I don't want a gray/cool tone at all but instead a warm, vibrant color scheme.
October 26, 2013 at 9:18am     
Your palettes that you pulled have a warm gray in the swatch palette tones - your walls should remain neutral so your colors sing in art, pillows, drapery, accent chair upholstery . . . the middle swatch for sandy sunset and the second from right on the other one - wall paint tones need to be quiet and earthy or you won't be able to evoke the beach at all . . .
October 28, 2013 at 7:47am      Thanked by riversideremodel
Privacy...and other questions
Not sure what to do here. This is my side door to the...
Creating a contemporary & clean functional home office
My husband is a web developer who works from home....
paint color
How should we approach deciding a color for a steel...
"need to design space under the staircase"
The stair case is circular.I'm attaching the image.Please...
need wall color suggestions
Im planning to paint my livingrm walls a color called...