island dilemma!!!!
classicstyle2011
October 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are doing renovations on our kitchen island. Changing the shape u shape to a rectangle. We went to the cabinet company and they don't carry the same cabinet stain anymore (chocolate brown). So we are going with an antique white cabinet for the island. Then we went to the granite company and they don't carry the same shade of granite either (has creams, different shades of brown, with a yellow hue to it). So we were thinking on going with a cream colored quartz ( to tie in with the cream in the granite) stone for the island as well. My question is can you mix different types of stone in a kitchen and it still look good? And will our island look like a big block of cream plopped in the middle of the room?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
FMSProjects, Inc.
Yes, you can mix different counter materials and colors. I might agree with the too much cream, maybe a painted (color) island; or have the cabinet co get as close as possible and use an accent pin stripe to off set (depends on door style).
0 Likes   Thanked by classicstyle2011    October 23, 2013 at 8:18PM
mommy2twins
This kitchen has two different granites and two different wood colors.
Forsyth Kitchen

I've also seen a granite recently called antique brown that was gorgeous. I thought it was very neutral and rich looking. I think the second photos is antique brown, although different slabs vary in color (as you know).
Olentangy Falls ~ Delaware, OH
0 Likes   Thanked by classicstyle2011    October 23, 2013 at 8:26PM
PRO
Eagledzines
Use a granite color that matches your original cabinet color to tie it together.
0 Likes   Thanked by classicstyle2011    October 23, 2013 at 8:27PM
PRO
Staged for Perfection
I like to use a different color granite on an island sometimes. If you try to match the other granite it could fall flat but if you use a complementary granite it will all look intentional and can be fabulous
0 Likes   Thanked by classicstyle2011    October 23, 2013 at 9:29PM
PRO
Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
Hi Chelsey! I might consider a little golder color on the island. ...color in this photo is called flax. The rubbed through brown accents would help tie to your brown cabinets elsewhere. I'm liking either the close-to-solid-color quartz island top idea (so as not to compete at all with your granite), but I'd think about a neutral grey, to give a little more visual mass to the center of the room. (Cambria Devon, for example ... not shown in this photo) ...or... a wood top - oiled teak or walnut, or? ...to tie in with your existing cabinet color. See desk top in second photo.

Either the grey quartz or the brown wood top are different enough from your granite not to compete - but could team with a lighter island cabinet to give interest - with the darker top keeping the island from seeming to "float away."

For me, your floor would be an important element in the ensemble you're creating. What is it? Hope you find something fun that feels right! Mark
0 Likes   Thanked by classicstyle2011    October 23, 2013 at 9:35PM