Need help with photo collage!
row_014
I need some help with my photo collage above my piano! Do I need to drop my wedding pic even further? Is it ok that the pics go wider than the piano? Or should I rearrange so it stays within the piano width? The wall is a dark purple (looks brown, second photo is a bit better colour) and I think I'm going to do all black and white photos. Please help!
row_014
An arrangement within the piano width, sort of like this?
October 23, 2013 at 8:36pm   
row_014
I like this arrangement
October 23, 2013 at 8:39pm   
Sheilah Michaels | Design Studio
Yes, I agree with row_014. A variety of frames in different sizes is always interesting. You do not need to hang your wedding photo lower. You can fill out the wall. Stick to a theme with frame colors and styles.
October 23, 2013 at 8:42pm   
row_014
More of a diamond shape? I like this too!
October 23, 2013 at 8:42pm     
farahin
Hello. I would suggest maintaining the frames according to the piano width. Maybe u could bring the two smallest frame into the middle. Instead of going horizontal, maybe u could also go vertical. Plus i would think a brighter coloured frame would pop out your photos better. Hope it helps, just my opinion..
October 23, 2013 at 8:56pm     
row_014
One vote for filling in the wall. One for keeping it within the piano width :) what do others think?
October 23, 2013 at 10:22pm     
row_014
This is the rest of the room if it helps any :) third pic shows walls whiter than actual and when I had our wedding pic on that wall
October 23, 2013 at 10:25pm   
Heather Godsey-Davis
Depending on the # of frames you are using, I like the 2nd and 3rd ideas you posted. Couldalso use a piece of iron scroll work on each side to finish out the overall shape of the arrangement
October 23, 2013 at 10:54pm   
row_014
I bought a few more frames. What do you all think of this? I think I want to keep within the piano width. Taping it up certainly helps! I didn't mind the previous taped area to start with but after a day or so I hated it! Will see if this configuration grows on me! Not so symmetrical this time (but almost symmetrical diagonally which suits me just right ;)
October 25, 2013 at 5:58am     
Bill Yockey
If there is nothing else going on that wall, I would do a salon-style picture wall from floor to ceiling.
October 25, 2013 at 6:07am     
row_014
Sorry Bill, I'm not sure what a salon-style pic wall is. Do you have an example? Thanks for your comment :)
October 25, 2013 at 6:37am   
row_014
Is this what you mean?

Not really my style. I'm more of a minimalist (believe it or not with the stuff crammed in our living room! We live in a very little house). This much busy-ness on the wall is stretching me, let alone a whole wall of it!! ;)
October 25, 2013 at 6:40am   
tsudhonimh
The second arrangement is better.

You can fix the first one by putting the side pictures vertically, 2-up, and centering the wedding picture between them. Treat it like one large picture, with the lower two 6-9 inches above the piano, and with the width of the whole arrangement about 2/3 of the piano width.

But with that wall ... I'm voting to fill the wall with lots of artwork.
October 25, 2013 at 6:48am     
Bill Yockey
it is but if you keep the pictures black and white with black frames--it wouldn't be busy
October 25, 2013 at 6:51am     
Resource Art & Design
Love the Stacy Weiss picture wall...marvelous in that big room with vaulted ceilings! Looks like Bill Y. has some good ideas. But not every design idea will work in just any space. Row_14 doesn't have the same scale nor the excellent, bright lighting of the other room, nor at this point the design eye, to accomplish a wall like that. One can't just throw art up on the wall effortlessly unless you've been doing it a while or have a fabulous amateur eye for design. Let's keep it simple at this point and start with the framed items over the piano. Row_14, correct me if you feel up to the big impact wall. We want our ideas to be practical and fun and something you feel you can handle. And can afford!
October 27, 2013 at 10:25pm   
Rina
Hi Row. Following you around cyberspace. I like the second arrangement but caution that the outside frames must line up exactly -- that slight misalignment looks careless because the basic shape is a clear rectangle. If you want to break the line of that you need to do it decisively, not just by a centimetre or so.
October 28, 2013 at 12:08am     
Rina
Actually, I rather like the second one I posted; it makes the diagonal line of bottom left to top right much clearer. Unintended but pleasant consequence.
October 28, 2013 at 12:10am   
Rina
By the way -- with this arrangement, I think you should make the top right picture one that is quite "heavy" visually -- i.e. quite a dark image compared to the others. It will create a balance with the size (and therefore visual weight) of the wedding picture -- and it's great to see that a bit more clearly than on the 'green wall' thread. It's lovely.
October 28, 2013 at 12:17am     
cathieg
Rina's example on the left has more visual appeal to me. I have used this technique to display a pictorial family tree and was complimented by an art hanging specialist I employed to hang some mirrors for me :-) It really is about getting the balance right. I placed all my black and white/sepia photos in the frames first and then worked on layout.
October 28, 2013 at 3:58am     
row_014
Thanks Resource Art & Design! You're right, I'm definitely not up to a whole wall of art. And what's more, I don't like that look so I'm definitely not going to!

Rina, thanks for your advice about keeping in the lines ;) I'm looking through my photos trying to find some good black and white ones. I think Cathieg's advice about printing the pics and then sorting out how it goes is a good one! I like the first layout you posted too ;)
October 29, 2013 at 2:42pm   
Keep it simple. You have a tendency to hang your pictures too high. I would do fewer frames of varied sizes, just within the boundaries of the piano.
October 29, 2013 at 3:15pm     
maryjennings
This is great--draw a horizontal midline.

The process of hanging a new painting or collection of family photos can seem like a puzzle. But though there are many pieces, there isn’t just one correct way to put them together. As with every aspect of decorating, it helps to understand the basic principles, then improvise — the most pleasing arrangement may be the one you least expect.

First, set out the pictures you want to hang; prop them against the walls and consider your options. Look at every reasonable possibility. Have someone hold a piece up to the wall while you stand back and appraise (just cover the hanging hardware with masking tape first to keep it from scratching the wall). If you are grouping several pieces together, arrange and rearrange them on the floor until you find a composition you

In most groupings, a common thread will tie the pieces together. Perhaps the pictures are part of a set or collection; if not, maybe the frames share a style or the mats are all the same color. Sometimes, a grouping may not need a linking element; the only unifying theme may be its diversity. Such collections take a little more nerve and are best suited to a less formal room.

As for precise positioning, conventional wisdom suggests that pictures be hung at eye level. This notion is a fine starting point, but hardly definitive. There are many good reasons to hang pieces above or below a standard height.

In any setting, you will need to react to the architecture and the furniture; you will also need to follow your instincts. A shift of a
few inches in a hanging arrangement can affect the tone of an entire room: If the pictures will be hung over a sofa or chair, move them down a bit and the area will become more cohesive, cozy and inviting.

Picture-Hanging Hint
Pictures in high-traffic areas, such as halls and entryways, often end up askew. Remedy this with self-adhesive Velcro tabs in 1/4- or 1/2-inch sizes. Remove the backing from both sides of two tabs without separating the Velcro layers; stick one on each of the lower corners of the frame, then press the frame to the wall.

Taking the measure of the task
Hanging multiple framed pictures so they look orderly can be a challenge. The secret is to divide and conquer:
• Mark a horizontal midline on the wall, and hang all pictures above or below it.
• The line can be delineated with a strip of painter’s tape and removed once the pictures are in place. If using this method, place a length of the tape (ours was 1 1/2 inches wide) horizontally across the wall, making sure that it is level.
• To unify the group, choose one color for all frames and, if displaying photographs, stick with either all black-and-white or all color shots.
• Determine nail placement for frames above the midline by measuring from the bottom of a frame to its bracket. (If the frame hangs on wire, pull the wire taut and measure accordingly.)
• For frames below the midline, measure from the top of the frame to the bracket. Use additional strips of tape, positioned vertically, to create even spaces between pictures arranged next to each other.
• When all frames are in place, remove tape from wall.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/real-estate/martha-stewart-tips-arranging-pictures-article-1.395327#ixzz2j9WNgKnP
October 29, 2013 at 3:28pm     
row_014
Thanks Maryjennings, very helpful article! Grover, thanks for the visual! As this is one of the few places in my house I have to hang pics I want a few more than 3 or 4 though :( Will it look bad going vertical in the middle bit of the wall? As the piano is already the focus on the room, do you think it will be ok? Definitely gravitating to the first arrangement Rina posted
October 30, 2013 at 11:11pm   
LB Interiors
I would keep the collage within the piano length.
October 30, 2013 at 11:20pm     
Michelle Ashby
Why not try the white frames against your dark wall?
October 31, 2013 at 12:39am     
Heather Godsey-Davis
I'm no desighn expert, but I really like the arrangement in your 3rd post. It is my favorite for this particular room. Staying within the boundaries of the main object in the room is nice sometimes but in this case, it seems to limit you way too much. You seem to want to use more photos than that will allow and I think that is ok. Make sure you get what you want out of this since it is both your only wall for hanging, AND it's your wedding pics. I wouldn't go crazy with the vertical but the 3 shown in that pic are great in my opinion. And the horizontal line going outside the edge of piano, I actually like better than staying in. Just make sure it
goes out enough that it looks intentional but not quite as far as the sconces.l
October 31, 2013 at 9:06am   
Rina
This is such fun. Apologies to those who don't know what I'm talking about, but Row, how is it going on your bedroom wall painting job? (I nearly said "how is it going in your bedroom" but that really is none of my business.)
October 31, 2013 at 9:38am     
Heather Godsey-Davis
Lol Rina!
October 31, 2013 at 10:10am   
row_014
Hi Rina, the paint I had in the shed that I thought was the bedroom wall colour wasn't, so I'm back to square one trying to match it!
October 31, 2013 at 3:03pm   
row_014
And thanks for giving me a good laugh this morning!!!
October 31, 2013 at 3:03pm   
Finnaeus Easterly
This is really up to personal taste. I think I'd personally keep the organization simple and neat, but change the frames. So, either have them all the same general shape (rectangle) with different styles (attached picture shows different frame styles) and colors of frames (I would love to see different shades of gray and some white), or keep the black frames and change up the shapes - ovals, circles, squares, etc. It all looks like it matches too much to me, but again, personal taste - I tend to prefer eclectic looks.
October 31, 2013 at 3:30pm   
row_014
I have put some pics in the frames and left the layout as Rina suggested (first pic). The next two are some other layouts I've played with (on my computer in paint, hence the dodgy outlines and poor photo quality!) What do you think?
November 20, 2013 at 4:08pm   
row_014
I'm thinking something like the last one?
November 20, 2013 at 4:10pm   
LB Interiors
I like the 1st one, just a few tweaks.
Top - left to right

Second pic move down centered of space
Bottom right - Move left to center of the space.

November 20, 2013 at 4:39pm     
LB Interiors
The other two are too disjointed. Not a nice composition.
November 20, 2013 at 4:42pm   
row_014
Thanks LB! I had that to start with but Rina suggested I push them out to a rectangle outline so i tried that. Thanks so much for your input!
November 20, 2013 at 5:37pm     
Wonderful advice on hanging your photos, however, I do not think personal pictures should be in an entertaining area. Love to see them in your bedroom instead.

November 20, 2013 at 5:40pm   
Heather Godsey-Davis
Im partial to the second one. Thinking, though, that maybe the row of 5 across the top could have more of an arch over the others. Leaving bottom 3 where they are.
and by arch, I dont mean curved but more like pyrimid
November 20, 2013 at 5:46pm   
LB Interiors
Rina did a very good original arrangement for you.
November 20, 2013 at 5:48pm   
LB Interiors
You can try a rectangle something like this. Keep the idea of a rectangle outline in mind, with outside perimeter within an invisible border of the rectangle

November 20, 2013 at 5:51pm     
row_014
Iamjudy, doesn't having your family and in laws watching you in your bedroom creep you out?
November 20, 2013 at 7:17pm     
row_014
Thanks LB! I thought I'd try some of the other arrangements coz there are a lot of rectangles going on in the room. But like you, I think it looks best!
November 20, 2013 at 7:18pm     
Rina
Hello Row and all. Okay, I back down a bit on lining up the outside of the rectangle. Just a bit. I like that last arrangement, LB. Row -- you've also got beautiful curves in your room. Don't worry about an excess of rectangles. G'day, by the way ....
November 20, 2013 at 8:47pm     
row_014
Hi Rina! I feel like you're an old friend even though we've never met ;) thanks for your advice
November 20, 2013 at 9:16pm     
Rina
Ditto!
November 20, 2013 at 9:40pm   
LB Interiors
Just thought I would post the collage without the invisible rectangle surround. It will look like this on the wall.

November 20, 2013 at 9:45pm     
maryjennings
This is perfect!
November 21, 2013 at 6:49am   
row_014
One more option! What do you think?
November 21, 2013 at 10:41am     
row_014
Here's LBs suggestion and another variation
November 21, 2013 at 10:46am     
LB Interiors
That works too. If it is going over the piano, I think the rectangle works nicer than a square layout. The scale is better with each other.
November 21, 2013 at 10:47am   
LB Interiors
I like the left one. I'm looking at the wieght of visual space of each item, for it not to look lopsided re: visual weight. So sizes and color make a difference They all can work.
November 21, 2013 at 10:49am   
LB Interiors
I would spread them out to create a longer rectangle over the piano. Not so close together. To get that look, it would be more like my drawing sketch.
November 21, 2013 at 10:51am   
Carla NN
I am a professional photographer and I have many clients in high end homes with personal photographs in all areas of the home. It brings warmth and story telling to the home, in my opinion.
November 21, 2013 at 11:02am   
November 21, 2013 at 11:10am   
row_014
LB, maybe the rectangle won't work then, coz I can't go any wider than the layout I posted. That's as wide as the piano is!
November 21, 2013 at 11:32am   
LB Interiors
Oh, okay, understand. Thanks, didn't know the dimensions of the piano or the pics. Thanks for the clarification. So any tight grouping will work. I was just looking at the dark background pics for balance to the group as a whole. Whatever feels best for you : )
November 21, 2013 at 11:50am     
Bottom row should have their lower frames all the same level. After that you can let the group get more loose and irregular, but within a footprint which you can tape off on your wall with blue painter's tape. Cut out poster board shapes for each framed piece and use the tape to play with them within the taped footprint. Once you have it worked out, mark where the hangers are and the nail holes should be for each picture on the poster board shape. Then simply hammer your nail or hanger through the hole, pull off the shape and replace it with the actual framed piece.
November 21, 2013 at 11:56am     
Rina
Another variation on LB's design, allowing a smidgeon more breathing space.
November 21, 2013 at 9:08pm     
Rina
Hmm. Bottom left should be moved left just a centimetre or two; that won't be noticeably wider than the piano?
November 21, 2013 at 9:11pm   
row_014
I don't think it will work Rina :( the arrangement I posted in that format was the absolute widest it could go. It would line up down the sides of the piano so going any wider would be noticeable :(
November 22, 2013 at 1:48am   
Rina
Hi. I used the size you had in the last one you posted -- the one on the left. Moved the upper centre two pics apart a bit without disturbing the outside line, ditto turned the two on the right to horizontal instead of vertical. And come to think of it, you may be able to get the space by shifting the wedding pic a smidge to the right without crowding the small horizontals. In any case, adding two centimetres, one on each side, would have about the effect of the yellow line below. Measure and see. ;-)
November 22, 2013 at 2:35am   
row_014
I hung them up... Do you think I need to shift the bottom right photo across to be in line with the ones on top? It feels top heavy on that side
November 22, 2013 at 9:25pm     
Rina
Congratulations, Row -- another red-letter day. I don't think it should be moved, but I've moved it for you below so you can have a look. In the pic the bottom frames don't look perfectly lined up, but that may just be the pic.
November 22, 2013 at 9:56pm     
row_014
It's about 2mil out. Can't notice it unless you get up real close. Thanks for the visual of it moved across. I'll live with it like this for a couple of days and see if it grows on me ;)
November 22, 2013 at 10:04pm   
row_014
I don't know what to put on the window wall now! I have this collage frame there for now but not loving it. I could paint the frame black but I think I would like some art there?
November 22, 2013 at 10:09pm   
Rina
Good plan, to live with it a bit. Two mil? Oooh, aren't you a sloppy thing then?

On the other wall, yes, art, definitely definitely art. About the same size. Two collages in one room is too bitty. I see that collage has colour in it, make sure the art does too. But wow, the purple wall is looking good! The whole room is.
November 22, 2013 at 10:30pm     
LB Interiors
I like the collage that you posted. I would not move the lower right photo. Yes art on the other wall. Maybe something a little longer to fill the vertical space .
November 22, 2013 at 11:43pm     
row_014
Thanks so much Rina & LB!
November 23, 2013 at 1:00am     
Rina
It's a pleasure.
November 23, 2013 at 1:08am   
Joe DeVitto
the layout looks nice you have posted .. all in a row . makes the wall look wider and even ...
November 23, 2013 at 2:02am   
LB Interiors
You are Welcome.
November 23, 2013 at 9:17am   
maryjennings
Hi
I think the rectangle looks too square. The Perfect dimensions are the Golden Ratio ( x and 1.6 x). Many artists and architects have proportioned their works to approximate the golden ratio—especially in the form of the golden rectangle, in which the ratio of the longer side to the shorter is the golden ratio—believing this proportion to be aesthetically pleasing . What is the length of the area above the piano? It will be more pleasing to the eye to get it close to the golden rectangle.
November 23, 2013 at 1:22pm   
abbyjean
I love what you have NOW over the piano! Enjoy that part of your room as I know how hard you have worked on it. Do not have more pics on another wall to compete with them...let them be your true focal point all alone. Choose your accent color and get some art work to hang there.
November 23, 2013 at 6:55pm   
row_014
Hi Maryjennings, the dimensions of the photo rectangle is 106x84. To get the golden rectangle I need another 30cm width. I could shift the whole lot right about 15cm and then put a row of three small portrait photos ( same size as top right) down the left side? Rina, my dear friend, can you do a visual pretty please?
November 24, 2013 at 3:55am   
Rina
You're funny. One pretty coming up.

I aligned the small pics at the top with the other one that is down a bit from the top line, lining them up with the top line just made the composition look as though it sagged at that one point.

Don't ask my opinion right now -- been working all day, and too tired to have one. It's round about collapse time.
November 24, 2013 at 7:07am     
Rina
PS You're indefatigable.
November 24, 2013 at 7:17am   
maryjennings
Why not do 106 by 65?

I like big picture in middle of bottom row.

Lay it out on floor to get right proportions. Good luck!!
November 24, 2013 at 10:28am   
travisinteriors
Do middle pic much taller with others on each side of it.
November 24, 2013 at 11:18am     
row_014
What's everyone's thoughts on Rinas visual? I like the size better but does it dominate the piano now?

Maryjennings, I'd like to keep all the pics of my family (hence why it ended up so big) but maybe I need to cut some back and shorten up the arrangement like you suggested?
November 24, 2013 at 1:54pm   
maryjennings
Use 84 by 136 then spread them out
November 24, 2013 at 3:04pm   
Rina
Good morning. I have an opinion now I've had some sleep .... I think the wide rectangle does overwhelm the piano, actually. So might as well join the madness and restore it to its noble position as a base.

(Just thinking of the expression that would have been on my late husband's face if I were doing what you're doing. Midway between 'isn't she a cute little thing?' and 'I think I'm going to have to strangle her'.)
November 24, 2013 at 8:03pm   
row_014
Thanks Rina! At least you can 'rearrange' it for me without putting heaps of nail holes in the wall :) if I was doing that for real I think my husband would strangle me! I'm not liking the tall rectangle... What does everyone think?
November 24, 2013 at 8:28pm   
row_014
Maybe i need something (have no idea what!) to flank the sides to make it a bit wider and also more of a diamond?
November 24, 2013 at 8:37pm   
row_014
It wouldn't overpower the piano quite so much that way
November 24, 2013 at 8:38pm   
armygirl1987
Looks good.
November 24, 2013 at 8:41pm     
Rina
Yes, I like the diamond idea. Two very thin slivers of mirror in very thin slivers of frame would work. And of course you can find them at any supermarket. I don't think.
November 24, 2013 at 9:03pm   
zhaolei
Black is too crowded,
November 24, 2013 at 9:13pm   
Hadley House Interiors
Check out picturewall.com. It is, without a doubt, the EASIEST way to configure a photo collage! It provides a "map", frames, several layouts. All you need!
November 24, 2013 at 9:20pm   
sbrustein
I think if the pictures get too high, they can't really be seen- and since they are photographs that is a problem. So, I would go beyond the piano rather than too high on the wall.
November 24, 2013 at 9:28pm     
Rina
Good point, Sbrustein. I got so wrapped up in moving things around (without nails) I kind of forgot why they're there. But you know, Row, I still like best the rectangle you have now, the one you posted before you started going for the golden ratio -- which is a fine thing, but one does not get arrested for ignoring it. My best advice for now is to leave it exactly as it is for at least three months. Then, if you find you're not loving it, you can do something about it.
November 24, 2013 at 9:41pm     
row_014
Rina, the voice of reason! I'll leave it for now :)
November 24, 2013 at 10:23pm     
Rina
:-)
November 24, 2013 at 11:02pm   
LB Interiors
Do these appeal to you. But closer together.
Collage 2
Collage 3
November 25, 2013 at 12:17am     
Help with photo collage wall
Need help laying out these frames. Anyone? Brown paper...
Photo collage wall help
Can I mix black and brown wood frames in my photo collage...
Need help with a wall collage for my living room....
Hi, post divorce and on a serious budget, I am trying...
Need help with wall collage (Pictures added)
I need help decorating a wall between two chairs and...
Need help with wall collage
Need help trying to pick the right front door
Hi my houzz family :) my husband and I are replacing...
Kitchen remodel
Hi! I have dark hardwood floors in our kitchen, dining...
Exterior update on 1970's bungelow
The house faces west. I've thought of adding a covered...
Unplug for the day
Would you ever be able to go throughout your entire...
Do you decorate your home for Easter?
Do you decorate to celebrate Easter at your house?...