Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kylana

Cape Cod curb appeal for house with front entrance bump

kylana
10 years ago
Looking for suggestions to create curb appeal for small house with a front entrance bump/ door to the side, prefer Cape Cod style. Roof style, front porch ideas or portico, possible door relocation. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Tres McKinney Design
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    It looks like your entry door is in the side of the first bump out. Can you relocate the door to the front of the bump out.? This woud make for a more enviting entry and still maintain a foyer. You will also need to add a wide porch and overhang and curved walkway to focus the entrance on the new front door and away from the door near the garage. Paint the garage door the same color as the siding to call less attention to it. Paint the front door a bright color which will also distinguish it from the secondary door. Remove the storm door on the primary door. Add a pair of lanterns on each side of the new door.
    kylana thanked Tres McKinney Design
  • chrisinky
    10 years ago
    Are you still gathering ideas for this or have you already worked on it? Here's a few ideas if you're still looking for some.

Build a deck/patio between your 2 doors. Put wide steps all the way across it in the front. If you can move your door, put it in the front where the small window is on the bump out. If you move the door, extend the deck further out. Lighten your siding color to something close to the photo above, but leave the red. Change your storm doors out to solid glass ones & paint the doors colonial blue. Extend your flower bed on the left to come out as far as the new deck. I like your outside lights, but you need one by your other door. Add a white picket fence along the road.

Examples for deck & steps:
    Lake Guest House · More Info

Estate Residence · More Info
    kylana thanked chrisinky
  • kylana
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    These are all GREAT ideas, it is still a work in progress. I plan to submit update photo's when we get the work done. Love before and afters.
  • PRO
    garden design online
    10 years ago
    You could add a pergola,a fence,a a porch...
    kylana thanked garden design online
  • kylana
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We are looking at putting artificial stone/rock on the chimney and around the house along the exposed cement part of the foundation.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    I'd go 100% traditional when possible.
    Mill Pond House · More Info

The Little House on Cape Cod · More Info

Chatham Charm · More Info

Custom Homes · More Info
    kylana thanked decoenthusiaste
  • kylana
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I absolutely love this love this look. My front entrance bump is the issue that we are struggling with.
  • chrisinky
    10 years ago
    I'm attaching the 1st photo because it has a bump out with the entrance on the side. I think you can leave the door where it is if you make the entrance more dramatic with a porch or deck and big wide stairs. If you do that & paint the door something that will stand out, there will be no doubt where to go when someone comes to your house.

In searching for Cape Cod style homes, the door is often not centered or sometimes even at the side like yours. If you don't move the door, replace the little window with a larger one. I still think lighter siding would look better. Also consider window boxes on the windows facing the road. I think they add instant charm.

Beach Cottage Renovation · More Info

Great Neighborhood Homes · More Info
    kylana thanked chrisinky
  • kylana
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We have been talking about exactly that, leaving the door where it is, adding a porch down the right side under the windows with stairs coming down to the front. Maybe we should revisit that. Unfortunately neither of us have any imagination, pictures are such a help, thank you.
  • chrisinky
    10 years ago
    Here's some more entrance ideas. I'm just having a hard time figuring out the right search phrase for a door on the side. I know I've seen pictures though.

Brucewood · More Info

Magnolia Residence 03 · More Info

Lake Country Builders · More Info

QMA: Longport, NJ Custom Residence · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/photos/1940s-colonial-revival-remodel-exterior-traditional-exterior-minneapolis-phvw-vp~978763
    kylana thanked chrisinky
  • kylana
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I agree, the correct phrase is a challenge. Think that we might leave the door to the side so we struggle with the porch and joining the roofs. The front door is to high off the ground to go with a portico. Not sure if we should do a porch to the driveway side of the house or across the entire front, and how far forward to bring it. We have been considering not putting a roof over the porch at all. Still looking for ideas. The plan is to have it done this summer.
  • chrisinky
    10 years ago
    Craftsman Second Story Addition · More Info

Minikahda Vista Cape Cod · More Info

I agree that adding a roof will make it trickier, but I'm sure it can be done. You will probably have to go up your existing roof a little for the start of your porch roof, then give it a flatter angle. Look at these 2 pictures. (I searched for porch addition on a Cape Cod house) Call some contractors to see if they will come give you an estimate on adding a porch. I'm sure they would have some ideas on how to do it.
  • chrisinky
    10 years ago
    If you don't put a roof on the porch, you could put a pergola over it to filter some of the sun.
    Woodmeister Master Builders - Exterior 1 · More Info
  • clodgepodge
    8 years ago

kylana... did you ever come up with something? We have a very similar issue on our house. The entrance to the house is on the right side but the previous home owner started to help improve the access by adding a deck to the back. We're hoping to take it a step further and add some kind of pergola/deck/porch out front to further make the entrance a bit better. How did yours turn out?

• kylana
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi, great question. Been planning on posting update photo's when we get things completed. We've added a wooden full length porch across the front on the door side only, in place of the cement porch that was there before. Here's the problem, we have a Japanese maple planted directly in front of where the porch is, I think it's in some of the pictures above. Our issue is stair placement so we haven't added the railing yet. I planted the Japanese Maple where I did for shade during the hot summer months as that area gets really hot and at that time our porch was much shorter so the tree location wasn't an issue. Now the maple is really close to the new porch and we need to decide if we want to risk loosing the tree and moving it so that we can put the stairs in the center otherwise the stairs will need to go where the door is. That creates issues with a walkway and changes to the garden. Neither of us are terribly creative. For now we have a front deck that we sit on and our maple provides shade and privacy. On a more positive note we have been working on our shop out back changing the roof to a hip roof and making it look like a barn, red and white. Fits right into our neighbourhood.

• clodgepodge
    8 years ago

Well I can't wait to see the pictures whatever you end up deciding about the stairs/maple. I'd love to see pictures of the shop as well. Our house, as you can see is a pyramid hip with little awning cover. We're considering some of the same possible solutions you've got listed above but honestly, we're just starting to consider what to do.

Good luck!!!