Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
livelaughdecorate

Bachelor Pad Makeover

Our client is a fun local attorney whose bachelor pad looked as frumpy as it could. We wanted to jazz it up with loads of style and create a space that was both stylish and functional, including creating a useable outdoor space for entertaining. You can read all the details in our reveal series on the blog:
Living Room: http://www.livelaughdecorate.com/2013/10/bachelor-pad-makeover-part-1.html
Kitchen: http://www.livelaughdecorate.com/2013/10/bachelor-pad-makeover-part-1.html
Balcony: http://www.livelaughdecorate.com/2013/10/bachelor-pad-stepping-outdoors.html

Comments (44)

• Amy Cali
    10 years ago
    Great transformation! Very sophisticated with just the right touch of masculinity. Thanks for sharing.
    Nicole White Designs Interiors LLC thanked Amy Cali
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    Very striking indeed.
    Nicole White Designs Interiors LLC thanked Dytecture
  • PRO
    Brown Bros. Masonry
    10 years ago
    Whoa! Definitely wasn't expecting that. It looks great!! Quite the bachelor pad!
    Nicole White Designs Interiors LLC thanked Brown Bros. Masonry
  • mmilos
    10 years ago
    Beautifully decorated.
  • Brenda
    10 years ago
    quite a 'wow'. you took a place that was very cold and generic looking and gave it a real personality. and I love those 2 round mirrors from Target -- I'm going to have to go check those out. good job ladies.

I am curious why you hung the pictures so high?

also, if it were my space I'd want a small modern swivel chair or 2 to make the living room more conversational, but maybe the open floor space is more important to your client.
  • elklaker
    10 years ago
    You are so talented! I love to see your work. So fun and energetic.
    Nicole White Designs Interiors LLC thanked elklaker
  • Monica Ellison
    10 years ago
    Wow! Grown and Sexy! He won't be single for long...lol! :-)
    Nicole White Designs Interiors LLC thanked Monica Ellison
  • My Crappy House
    10 years ago
    This looks awesome, except for the artwork. It looks too high and the staggering is distracting. Otherwise, fantastic.
  • cloudpants
    10 years ago
    I agree. Amazing transformation, but the paintings are too high & shouldn't be staggered. Also, I think the three should have the same frames, as the wallpaper is the show stealer.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Fabulous, love the striped wall.
    Nicole White Designs Interiors LLC thanked LB Interiors
  • PRO
    Panivino
    10 years ago
    Amazing change! But, why are the pictures so high?
  • Anina Salerno_Aita
    10 years ago
    Love it all except the way the pictures are hung. I would never stagger the top of a grouping that way. Takes your eye off the art itself.
  • PRO
    Nicole White Designs Interiors LLC
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the great feedback. Re: artwork. The frames could not be the same as two of the pieces were bought framed and the third (center) was not and had to be a custom job. Since they are also not the same size or height, we decided to stagger them. Clients a tall guy and has no worries with the height and wanted them staggered. re: adding more chairs. There is really no more room and no need. Another chair or two would mean cluttering the access to the bar stools etc..He is a single guy who travels extensively and thinks he now has way more seating than he can even use.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Love the palette! Very bold and comfortable.
    Nicole White Designs Interiors LLC thanked User
  • PRO
    LeBrun Designs, Inc.
    10 years ago
    love that sectional! It looks to be velvet?? We just bought a LoveSac sectional yesterday, ooohhhh the softness...
    Nicole White Designs Interiors LLC thanked LeBrun Designs, Inc.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Nicely done. I heard your explanation for the height of the pictures but for me it is the one thing that just does not look visually appealing. The pictures are almost touching the ceiling, they should be placed lower ( including the pictures on the side wall).
  • Pat
    10 years ago
    Pow Pow Pow! NICE!
    Nicole White Designs Interiors LLC thanked Pat
  • Robert Polino
    10 years ago
    I would love love love except the pictures throw me off a bit.
  • sophia818
    10 years ago
    I love the benches... do you have a good source for them?
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hey @Lebrun sectional is the Axis sectional from Crate and Barrel. It's a poly blend that is insanely soft and comfy. Client now spends a lot of time on that sectional. Re: artwork. Again, thanks for the feedback. While it may not appeal to some, it appeals to the client who also preferred that it breaks things up a bit i.e. all the vertical lines. At the end of the day it's his home; since he's happy with it, as are we, we are not exactly going back to him to adjust it because it doesn't appeal to a few. @sophia818 if you're referring to the ottoman with coffee table, they are from HervalUSA.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @andrew I believe I failed to individually thank a few who had no criticism as well but I'm not in the business of counting thank yous or the lack therefore. What I did was thank everyone collectively for their feedback - I trust you observed that? Here's the thing, we of course share our projects for feedback - it's why we're on Houzz and to of course generate business. And we expect criticism - it's the nature of being in a creative/subjective business. But asking/demanding that a designer change how a painting is hung, where a chair or pillow was placed when a project's long been completed, and to a clients liking, is disrespectful to the client/homeowner at best. I share loads of projects on Houzz, answer countless questions and participate in discussions because I love the general comraderie on Houzz. Thank you, at the very least, for a spirited discussion.
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    I love the color of the sectional, but not loving it with the wall paper...probably just the lighting, but the tones look slightly off.
    Nicole White Designs Interiors LLC thanked dclostboy
  • CA Design
    10 years ago
    I figured the client was tall... Great job!
    Nicole White Designs Interiors LLC thanked CA Design
  • bungalowmo
    10 years ago
    Tall or not, I'd have hung the pics over the sectional at about 1' above the sofa...all the bottoms evenly. Looks nice tho...before pic I was surprised I didn't see a milk crate or 2.
    Nicole White Designs Interiors LLC thanked bungalowmo
  • CA Design
    10 years ago
    Bungalowmo...The client can easily exchange the middle picture with something else... Or nothing at all. So many possibilities... I prefer my pics to line up or at least centered the middle pic, but I get the concept. Over all a great job!
    Nicole White Designs Interiors LLC thanked CA Design
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks again guys for all the feedback - good, bad and in between! Lol @Bungalowmo re: milk crates. Maybe he removed them before I got there? We could have hung these pieces in so many, many ways but based on the frames we had and loads of other reasons previously explained, this was his preference and he's happy with it.
  • PRO
    Pamela DeCuir Interior Designs
    10 years ago
    What a great change to that space - good job! I LOVE the wallpaper. I think it makes the space definitely masculine while balancing the dark color with all the white.

I didn't even notice that the pix were hung a little too high until I started reading the comments. This is a disagreement I've had with my husband. I tell him I want to hang pictures at "eye level" and I come back and they're almost to the ceiling. He's a foot or more taller than I am and his "eye level" is different. :-)
    Nicole White Designs Interiors LLC thanked Pamela DeCuir Interior Designs
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    lol Thanks @Pamela and yes, one man's eye level is another man's shoulder or waist.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Stunning as usual, Nicole! Interesting to see a more masculine room from you that is still bright and cheerful.
    Nicole White Designs Interiors LLC thanked User
  • reggiesmall
    10 years ago
    Shazaammm! Super fun!
  • reggiesmall
    10 years ago
    FYI, my husband is also tall and generally requests artwork to be hung somewhat higher up on the wall than is considered 'legal'.

I don't always like it, but you give in on some design choices and insist on others where it matters more.
  • Becky Harris
    10 years ago
    My dad is 6'4". My mom is 5'3" . They just redid the master bathroom with a funky but smallish mirror and my dad has to bend down to see himself in it. Luckily, he shaves and primps in my former bathroom, where he hung the mirror extra high for his extra tall self. I'm glad this tall drink of water decided not to have to squat down to enjoy his art the way he wants to in his own home.
  • Michelle F
    10 years ago
    You always do such a fabulous job and I love your work! Great talent; wish you were in NC.
    Nicole White Designs Interiors LLC thanked Michelle F
  • Bryan
    10 years ago
    Looks great - I agree with everyone else though, I'd move the two chrome framed pictures down so the tops match the middle pic. Staggered frames with the wallpaper hurts to look at IMO...
  • PRO
    Michael Lee, Inc
    10 years ago
    Super Transformation a ten!
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    10 years ago
    Very nice!
  • PRO
    purehome
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Stunning! What a fabulous color palette! Blue and chartruese are a perfect pair. -Andie, Purehome.com
  • louiselaprade
    10 years ago
    What would you like to say?you have done an amazing job.
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    Beautiful. Love the "suit" on the wall. This looks like a man "well put together". Kudos!
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Tall guys sit down too and that's the line of site to consider when hanging pictures. We all love the room, we're just picky - glad the client is happy.
    Nicole White Designs Interiors LLC thanked decoenthusiaste
  • sophia818
    10 years ago
    Do you have a source for the white bar stools? Great design.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks @sophia818 the bar stools are from Modani. You can see much of the sources used here on my blog as well: http://www.livelaughdecorate.com/2013/10/bachelor-pad-part-two-kitchen.html
  • sophia818
    10 years ago
    Thank you, Nicole!