IdeaChat Video - Tub in Shower - 10.24.13
Jeannie Nguyen
Would you ever put a full bathtub in your shower?

Watch today's IdeaChat video and comment below letting us know if you would or wouldn't have this feature in your bathroom. If you already have it, feel free to share your photos and experiences!

Bathroom
Ideabook: Why to Put Your Tub in the Shower
kimdee24
Nooooo, thank you. I'd have to wipe everything down every day and that's just more work than I'm willing to do.
October 24, 2013 at 8:55am     
Keerthi Naidu
From a practical standpoint, it doesn't bother me. Seems like the same amount of cleaning, if not less than when they're separate. However, I'm not a fan of the look =/
October 24, 2013 at 9:01am     
lizzyash
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
October 24, 2013 at 9:08am   
sluggodog
YES! But only if the the shower is not pouring down over the tub -- that would create too much cleaning. Otherwise taking a hot bath in a warm, enclosed steamed room would be lovely.. and not cold when getting out.
October 24, 2013 at 9:41am     
Laura Vargo
Yes! We're building a home right now, and we put the tub inside the large walk-in shower. European wet room. Makes it nice and warm when bathing.
October 24, 2013 at 10:48am     
snyggt
Yes, If I take a nice bubble bath I want to rinse the soap of my body and not have to walk across the bathroom floor to the shower
October 24, 2013 at 11:15am     
Nicole Lee
i love this idea and look! but the idea of cleaning/wiping down the tub each time would be too much work.
October 24, 2013 at 2:04pm     
SBT Designs
Love using these wet rooms in my designs. My own home has this detail and its great for our kids, all of the splashing is kept within the wet zone and clean dry bathroom is the result.
October 24, 2013 at 6:43pm        Thanked by Jeannie Nguyen
baca
I decided near the end of construction on my new house to add a bathtub to the guest bathroom. We made the shower room bigger, and since the drain was already in the middle of the floor, made a cedar floor that the water can run through from both the tub and shower.
October 25, 2013 at 5:53am        Thanked by Jeannie Nguyen
if you have sufficient shower space too / don't need to worry over slip/fall in shower (old age) - Yes! lots of advantages to space economy to get both a tub and shower area w/out standing in tub. But, consider your lifestyle - no one would enjoy soaking in the tub while someone was showering / getting sprayed! This is all about layout - sometimes it works best and sometimes not.
October 25, 2013 at 6:47am     
shamus
For those who enjoy frequent baths, this might be practical. But for those of us who don't, and live with hard water to boot, it's just too much to work to clean an unused bathtub just because it got sprayed by the shower. I prefer a large walk-in shower with a bench, and nice smooth walls that are easy to clean with a squeegie after each shower.
October 25, 2013 at 7:04am     
P & A Consultants
A warm soaking bath more than makes up for the trouble of cleaning, I have it in my bathroom & have put it in the bath of many of my Clients and they all love it.
October 25, 2013 at 7:43am     
Jeannie Nguyen
I really love this look, but I think I would want my tub to be separate just because I would like to be in an open space while I take a bath rather than in an enclosed shower. But, I can see why people would want this in their home. :)
October 25, 2013 at 11:07am     
deloresje
I think I wouldn't enjoy being in the enclosed space of the shower while trying to enjoy the lovely relaxing bath. I'm a bathtub reader so having that kind of moisture contained within the space would be unpleasant. I'm definitely not the target market.
October 25, 2013 at 4:18pm      Thanked by Jeannie Nguyen
0825sam
I am dying to turn my kids bathroom with an old claw foot tub into a wet room. This is my inspiration pic

October 25, 2013 at 4:44pm   
FINNE Architects
I think a tub should have more breathing room.......see attached photos of two bath tubs I placed in front of large view windows.....
October 25, 2013 at 6:39pm     
dclostboy
While I think some of them look silly, here's what I did with mine. Had to work around sloping ceilings and a previous odd layout of plumbing and ductwork.
October 27, 2013 at 5:32am     
thickskin
I don't think Europeans wipe down everything everyday after taking a shower in a wet room.
I worked twelve sometimes sixteen hour days, and the last thing I thought of was how shiny the bathroom was. A tub in the shower? yes.
October 27, 2013 at 6:55am     
model578
like this idea tub on one side not in direct line with shower
October 27, 2013 at 6:59am   
Shannon Olden
no. sitting in a tub just dries my skin out like crazy. a 3 minute shower is all i need. want to redo my bathroom with a shower with a seat. (there are tubs elsewhere in the house).
October 27, 2013 at 10:20am   
fefie
No way and not of the pictures I've ever seen has ever made me want to change my mind. For the life of me I can't see why I would want everything wet after having a shower. Wet-room ?? No thank you!!
October 27, 2013 at 9:00pm   
kathleen MK
It wasn't until the 1980's that having a separate shower was common in average homes. It seems a waste of space really. Our separate shower is cramped and grows mold quicker than the old shower over the tub.
October 27, 2013 at 10:11pm   
damjo
No. Why is this even a discussion.
October 27, 2013 at 11:10pm   
nancyinmich
The writer of this video completely misunderstood my point. I said I was FOR putting the tub in the shower instead of the shower in the tub because some tubs are difficult to get into to take a shower, such as tubs with tall or sloping sides. When you have such a tub, putting the tub into the shower space makes more sense than trying to climb into the tub in order to stand and take a shower. This post was a PS (postscript) to my post above it.
October 28, 2013 at 9:20am   
sluggodog
Also.. great place to wash the dogs, and they can't escape…
October 28, 2013 at 12:48pm        Thanked by Jeannie Nguyen
sculptedzoo
I had a very small place in Thailand that had a toilet in the shower.
December 17, 2013 at 8:22pm        Thanked by Jeannie Nguyen
okdokegal
Way way too much trying to clean in and around that tub. I have had enough mould and mildew and soapscum issues lately.
December 17, 2013 at 8:36pm   
rhodalynn
No no no. That would really put me over the top. Sanitarium-here I come.
December 30, 2013 at 8:53pm   
kayliwild
It seems those opposed to the idea don't actually have a wetroom with bath. Those who do have a wetroom seem to love them? We are looking at this layout in our 2.9m x 1.6m bathroom as we have small kids and we need a bath, but I love walk in showers. I would love to hear comments from those who actually have this wetroom-with-bath layout to share the pros and cons.
12 hours ago   
IdeaChat Video - Clutter - 10.10.13
Can you make a beautiful masterpiece from the clutter...
IdeaChat Video - Sex and Colors - 10.17.13
Is it true that people with blue bedrooms get more...
IdeaChat Video - Home Urinal - 10.3.13
Where would you install a urinal in your home? Watch...
IdeaChat Video - Happy Halloween! - 10.31.13
Happy Halloween, Houzzers! Today is going to be all...
IdeaChat Video - Kitchen Must Haves - 9.26.13
Today's IdeaChat is all about Kitchen Must Haves! All...
Composite PVC for front porch?
We live in an urban rowhouse. Our contractor thinks...
Building house with 12x12 sunroom. Furniture?
What kind of fan would be good. Ceiling is vaulted....
What kind of porch will make this house 'homey looking'?
Need to decide what to do with the front exterior prior...
Exterior Color?
Can you tell me what the trim color is? Also, is the...